First Deal Sugguestions Short Sale

First Deal Sugguestions Short Sale

Investor · Oroville, CA · Member since 2010 · 82 posts · 1 vote

There is nothing around here in Northern California that meets the 2% rule. This is as close as it gets.

The details
-The bank counter is 119k
-Rents for 1k-1100 per month
-Built in 2004
-1500 sq ft 3/2

Financial:
-25% down

(+)'s
Good neighborhood and surrounding area
Newer home so hopefully not many repair
Some Curb apeal
-Good size

(-)'s
-Tiny lot (backyard maybe 6 foot long)-
-The builder put a lot of these home in one area so the
street is one lane
-low end fixtures etc, not the best layout.

Goals:
Some Cash flow
Solid Investment
Appreciation

Photo: (Tan colored house)

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
15y

Due to the lack of financing information and expenses, it is difficult to say whether you will actually have positive cash flow or not, but appreciation alone is not a very good reason to invest especially if you are in a negative cash flow situation.

So, first you should determine whether or not rents will actually be able to support expenses. If your in the black, then go on to the next suggestion otherwise keep looking.

Since you are probably looking for a long term buy and hold strategy where appreciation and mortgage reduction will be your basis for returns, I would look at the following factors before you decide.

1. Is the location near a crime riddled area sometimes referred to as a crime zone? Unforntuately, the lower socio-economic trends affect long-term strategies so I would go to the US Census map or a soci0-econmic mapping service to gauge longterm trends. You do not want this property sitting in a future crime zone becuase your appreciation will likely be curtailed.

2. Since it is two-story, is a majority of rental pool thirty-five and under? Generally, you will for 35 and up prefer single-story.

3. Small lot usually means not kid friendly and this could limit your pool of renters. Is there a nearby park?

4. Are there a lot of rental vacancies? When your faced with tight cash flows, you need a property that will rent quickly.

5. Since your buying pre-foreclosure, make sure you have a quality home inspection take a close look at structure as well as the condition of the HVAC. The last thing you need is a surprise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

With short sales, you have nothing to lose. If you do not get it for the price you want, you still have another shot at auction and another third as an REO.

Do not be too hasty and make sure you do your homework. Just becuase it is a short sale does not mean it is a good deal. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a short sale counteroffer come in high and it sold at auction for 20% less.

Second, if the lender countered at $119K, where was your intial offer? Also, it is the lenders job to counter, so I would recounter at a lower price.

For instance, say you started @ $100K and they came back @ $119K, then I would go back no more than $109K. They are going to lose this much in foreclosure and REO costs. Remember, your doing them a favor.

Come back with more specific on your offer and whether the property is listed or not.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Oroville, CA · Member since 2010 · 82 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    My interest rate is around 5-5.25%

    Thanks

  • Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
    15y

    Due to the lack of financing information and expenses, it is difficult to say whether you will actually have positive cash flow or not, but appreciation alone is not a very good reason to invest especially if you are in a negative cash flow situation.

    So, first you should determine whether or not rents will actually be able to support expenses. If your in the black, then go on to the next suggestion otherwise keep looking.

    Since you are probably looking for a long term buy and hold strategy where appreciation and mortgage reduction will be your basis for returns, I would look at the following factors before you decide.

    1. Is the location near a crime riddled area sometimes referred to as a crime zone? Unforntuately, the lower socio-economic trends affect long-term strategies so I would go to the US Census map or a soci0-econmic mapping service to gauge longterm trends. You do not want this property sitting in a future crime zone becuase your appreciation will likely be curtailed.

    2. Since it is two-story, is a majority of rental pool thirty-five and under? Generally, you will for 35 and up prefer single-story.

    3. Small lot usually means not kid friendly and this could limit your pool of renters. Is there a nearby park?

    4. Are there a lot of rental vacancies? When your faced with tight cash flows, you need a property that will rent quickly.

    5. Since your buying pre-foreclosure, make sure you have a quality home inspection take a close look at structure as well as the condition of the HVAC. The last thing you need is a surprise.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------

    With short sales, you have nothing to lose. If you do not get it for the price you want, you still have another shot at auction and another third as an REO.

    Do not be too hasty and make sure you do your homework. Just becuase it is a short sale does not mean it is a good deal. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a short sale counteroffer come in high and it sold at auction for 20% less.

    Second, if the lender countered at $119K, where was your intial offer? Also, it is the lenders job to counter, so I would recounter at a lower price.

    For instance, say you started @ $100K and they came back @ $119K, then I would go back no more than $109K. They are going to lose this much in foreclosure and REO costs. Remember, your doing them a favor.

    Come back with more specific on your offer and whether the property is listed or not.

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Oroville, CA · Member since 2010 · 82 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Hi Scott,

    Thanks for the reply.

    My primary goal is actually cash flow, secondary appreciation.

    The Listing price was 135k, and I offered 10k, they countered at 120k, so I countered at 112k, and right now it stands at 119k. The property no longer shows on the MLS

    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Yuba-City_CA#/pg-6/sortby-1

    My Realtor who is also my friend said there is going to be another offer coming in at 135k.

    1) The town is Yuba City, CA. I did look future prediction of crime rates through some gov and other websites but I could not find any predictions

    2) Good point. What I know of that this is a primarily blue collar city. working class. I am unsure of the age range who are renters in this area...

    3) It is definitely not really kid or pet friendly. The nearest part is 1.3 miles. I just google mapped it.

    4) The listed Vacancy rate is 5%( shown online)

    Reg the HVAC.. Im thinking about getting a home warranty.

    Any more input or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Oroville, CA · Member since 2010 · 82 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Here is the break down on the numbers

    (P&I) 492
    Property Tax 117
    Monthly Insurance 71
    (Vancancy) 83
    -----------------------------------------------
    $863

    Rental income $1000-1100

    The above figure does not include the following Water, garbage nor landscaping

  • Real Estate Investor · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2009 · 99 posts · 42 votes
    15y

    Interesting


    2. Since it is two-story, is a majority of rental pool thirty-five and under? Generally, you will for 35 and up prefer single-story.

    I've never experienced this in New England, where almost every single home is 2 stories. There are very, very few ranch style houses up this way.

  • Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Nick Reuter:
    Interesting

    2. Since it is two-story, is a majority of rental pool thirty-five and under? Generally, you will for 35 and up prefer single-story.

    I've never experienced this in New England, where almost every single home is 2 stories. There are very, very few ranch style houses up this way.

    A majority of the housing in the west is single-story although new construction seems to be moving towards two-story. In addition, many markets, including my own, have a large population of baby boomers due to our great weather. Older people tend to prefer single-story and retirees avoid them for the most part.

    Growing up in Wisconsin, I remember more two-story homes nd evn my grand-parents complain about their two-story home. So, when faced with a choice, I believe persons of age will more likely choose a single-story. In my market, the MLS stats verify this fact as well.

    So, knowing the CA demographic is similar to ours, I suggested he consider this as a buy and hold investor. Smaller pool equals less opportunity.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.