REO in Michigan: I won on Auction.com...now the fun starts...

REO in Michigan: I won on Auction.com...now the fun starts...

Rental Property Investor · Westland, MI · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes

So I won an auction on Auction.com for $51,500 cash (comps in the area are 75-85k for a similar home).

Here's a synopsis of my situation:

  1. I intend on living in this house.
  2. The "bank" selling the home is transferring the interest of the Sheriff's Deed through a Quit Claim Deed.
  3. This house is occupied but I'm not sure if it's the original mortgage holder or tenant(s) - HOW DO I VERIFY THIS?
  4. The Redemption Period ends on June 13th - I'd like to extend an offer of "Cash for Keys" with a Waiver of Redemption but the documentation I have says I can't contact the occupants of the home.
  5. The Title Company running this transaction will provide a Title Commitment for Title Insurance after the Redemption Period is over, which (as mentioned) I'd like to expedite.
  6. Can I insure the property with only a Quit Claim Deed? I technically do not own the home until the Redemption Period ends - I just don't want the house to be destroyed without insurance (losing most of my money).

I understand the risks:

  • Sight unseen of the inside
  • Occupants could trash or have trashed the place
  • Potential eviction "fun" to be had

Has anyone had to deal with this similar or exact situation in their past? How did you deal with it?

I'm looking for a reasonable process of completing this transaction. Please help!

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    7y

    @Cyle Lublin did you run title on this property prior to buying?

  • Rental Property Investor · Westland, MI · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Scott Matthew C. Title appears to be clean per the title company working on the title commitment. The thing that makes me nervous is that they said they would “update the title” after the redemption period to provide title insurance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.