Buy a Pre-Foreclosure from a friend, or give a Personal Loan??

Buy a Pre-Foreclosure from a friend, or give a Personal Loan??

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes

I have a friend who's home is currently in pre-forclosure status (caused by a lengthy identity theft situation).  I would like to help him get out from under the mess by relieving some financial stress, and allow him to keep his home.   At the same time, I would also like this to be an investment.    

One idea is that I buy into a percentage of the property based on the amount he needs to get ahead of the curve,  with an option to sell at a given time (say 3 years).  Another option was maybe just a straight loan at 10-12 percent, having the house as collateral.  Or, should I just buy the house from him and keep him as a renter?

Any thoughts, or advice on  a win-win strategy?

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 632 votes
7y

I see all of these options as highly likely to ultimately end your friendship. 

Getting into a financial arrangement with someone who cant make ends meet is never a good idea, nor is becoming a junior lienholder in a default situation.

Buying the house (if it makes $$$ sense) is the only realistic option, but becoming your friends landlord sounds like an AWFUL idea. He cant pay his mortgage now, and when he cant make rent to you later, you will be in the unfortunate position of evicting your friend. 

Buy the house -IF  he wants to walk.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 632 votes
    7y

    I see all of these options as highly likely to ultimately end your friendship. 

    Getting into a financial arrangement with someone who cant make ends meet is never a good idea, nor is becoming a junior lienholder in a default situation.

    Buying the house (if it makes $$$ sense) is the only realistic option, but becoming your friends landlord sounds like an AWFUL idea. He cant pay his mortgage now, and when he cant make rent to you later, you will be in the unfortunate position of evicting your friend. 

    Buy the house -IF  he wants to walk.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Minna Reid

    Those are all very sound points, and I appreciate the input.

    Just to be clear, he isn’t the type who can’t make ends meet. As I mentioned, this was all brought on by an identity theft situation. I would never entertain the idea of partnering up with someone who was financially irresponsible.

    I really would like to try and find a win-win solution that keeps him (and his kids) in his home, and is a viable investment opportunity for me.

  • Investor/Developer · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Bret McKee how far behind is he on the loan (dollar amount)?

    What is the entire loan amount?

    What is the property worth in current condition?

    What’s his payment and interest rate?

    With answers to those questions I could tell you what I would do or what I’ve done in the past. Feel free to PM me if you’d rather!

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Might be better if he has something he can sell you or you can hold for collateral such as a car, with the understanding that he is using that money to get caught up on his house payment, depending on how much he needs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.