HUD Commissions - No Buyer's Agent

HUD Commissions - No Buyer's Agent

Homeowner · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I am looking to buy my first home and am bidding on HUD properties as an owner occupant and paying cash.

On hudhomestore.com, I found a listing with an as-is price of 29K and that states 'The listing and selling brokers are eligible to receive a commission of $1,250'. Yesterday, I contacted the listing agent and placed a bid for 26K. I foolishly assumed that the total commission deducted from my offer price would be 1250 instead of 2500. So after receiving an email of the bid submission and seeing that the net proceeds to HUD would be 23500 (26000-1250x2), I contacted the listing agent and inquired about the double commission. I was sort of fearful of offending the broker and somehow losing out on this house, so I didn't question her further when she told me that the amounts are automatically filled in and that she can't change them. After spending some time on biggerpockets today, and reading this http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/67250-hud-offer-question-increasing-chances-of-winning-bid, it seems clear that this is not true. Now I feel like a chump.

I understand that the listing agent should be compensated for submitting my bid and completing the paperwork that will ensue should my bid get accepted, but $1250 seems excessive.

Is it possible to cancel the bid and ask her to reduce the selling broker commission (line 6a) to something more reasonable considering how little work she has done on my behalf, say like $500? Or is it common for listing agents to get double commission on these low value properties when the buyer is unrepresented?

This is my first time bidding on a home and I need all the advice I can get. Thank you.

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Irmo, SC · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 90 votes
12y

It may help to avoid the nickel and dime mentality and instead focus on the big picture. Suppose you had strong armed that listing agent into accepting the reduced commission. How would that agent feel? The next time that agent has a HUD listing coming down the pipeline, would he call you first?

Now what if instead you had told the listing agent that since you never use a buyer's agent, any house he sells you, he would get to keep the entire commission, plus you would use him as your listing agent when you sell the house. Now who is he going to call first when he has new HUD listings in the pipeline?

The big picture is saving $625 on one deal could cost you $000s in future profits. The real estate business is not about property, it is about people, building relationships and getting paid for solving problems.

"In business you get what you want by giving other people what they want." Alice Foote MacDougall (1867-1945), U.S. businesswoman

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    When you buy a house directly through the listing agent, they get both halves of the commission. In any case, commissions are paid by the seller, so they have no effect on your offer or what the seller net's from the sale.

  • Homeowner · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Thanks for the reply Jon.

    I understand what you are saying, that usually the seller of a home has a contract with the listing agent for a set commission and that I as a buyer can't do squat to reduce that percentage, but I believe the situation is different when you are dealing with HUD foreclosures.

    In my case, the listing offers $1,250 each to the selling agent and listing agent. When the listing agent submitted the bid on my behalf, she was presented with two lines on the bid submission form:
    "6(a) Upon sales closing, Seller agrees to pay to the broker a commission (including selling bonus, if offered by seller) of:
    6(b) Upon sales closing, Seller agrees to pay to the broad listing broker (If broker identifided is not the broad listing broker):"

    My understanding is that these two fields are automatically filled in with the number 1250, but that she could have reduced 6b to something more reasonable like 500 - I feel that is a reasonable compensation for submitting the bid on my behalf and filling out the hud contract. She will still get the other $1250 for being a listing agent.

    Now what I'm wondering is, is it unheard of to ask a listing agent to reduce the number on line 6b? If I wanted to reduce that amount, should I have instead found a buyer's agent that would work for a reduced fee? Should I ask the listing agent to cancel the bid and insist that line 6b should be $500? Is it even possible to cancel the bid at this point?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    When you buy a house directly through the listing agent, they get both halves of the commission. In any case, commissions are paid by the seller, so they have no effect on your offer or what the seller net's from the sale.

    I disagree...a couple points to note:

    - With HUD bidding, the buyer's agent decides how much commission s/he wants to get. If the agent fills in $0, then the agent gets $0. The increases the net offer amount to HUD by whatever the standard commission would be.

    - With HUD purchases, all the seller cares about is net offer amount -- which is equal to offer price minus commissions minus seller-paid costs. If the OP and I bid on the same property and offer the same amount, but I forgo my side of the commission (I can do this because I'm an agent), I'll get the property before he will.

    So, the listing can very well decide that they don't want to take both sides of the commission, and by choosing not to take both sides, they increase the net offer amount and therefore increase the buyer's chances of getting the property under contract.

  • Homeowner · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    J Scott, thank you for chiming in.

    I will find out tomorrow if my bid was accepted. If it was rejected, I'll probably bid again and insist that she put $500 on line 6b. If she refuses, I will find a buyer's agent to submit the bid. I'll keep people here posted on how it turns out.

    I was reluctant to do this on Friday for stupid reasons - I was eager to win the auction and scared of pissing off the listing agent, and didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a buyer's agent, but $750 is a nice chunk of money that would cover turning on utilities for inspection, hiring an inspector and closing costs ($305).

    If anybody has any experience with asking a listing agent to reduce the amount on line 6b, please share.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 53 posts · 23 votes
    14y

    From an agent stand point: Why should this agent reduce their commission to make sure you get under contract? What if your offer gets accepted at the initial bid you put in?, the agent just losses 750?
    That agent could easily say "Why don't you raise your offer by 750? So if you find a buyer's agent to submit your offer are you going to ask them to reduce their commission from 1250 to 500? You have to walk in the agents shoes for a second. If you found a buyer's agent willing to do 500 for writing up a contract they will be getting the short end of the stick. What if the agent is on a 50-50 split? $250 for submitting a bid and dealing with all the paper work. I wouldn't do it but someone may. Not trying to come off like a jerk, I write allot of HUD offers so I know the process very well, more than most.

  • Homeowner · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    You're right Derick. There is little incentive for the listing agent to reduce the amount on line 6b (or is it 6a? I forget).

    Perhaps if other bidders are going in with buyer's agents (capping the total listing agent commission to $1250) and if they feel that $500 (or $250 if 50-50 split) is reasonable compensation for submitting my bid, filling out the hud contract, unlocking the property for the inspector and the final walkthru, then it might be considered. Also, I read before that with HUD properties, listing agents care more about moving properties (in order to get more HUD properties to sell) than getting a typical commission, so that might be another factor that is taken into consideration.

    So if HUD rejects my offer and I still feel strongly that $1250 is excessive compensation for the amount of work to be done, and if I feel like spending time calling up buyer's agents, then I'll go that route. If HUD accepts my offer, then I'm going to let things be and be a bit smarter before doing another real estate transaction.

  • Homeowner · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    For the anyone that is interested in the outcome, HUD accepted my bid so the listing agent is getting $2500 for doing jack ****.

    Anyway, for any other young players out there, before you bid on a property you see online on hudhomestore.com, google 'HUD Discount Broker'. Find people like this guy http://muckleroy.net/hud.html who will rebate you half the commission. I would have saved $625 which would have paid for just about everything else...utility turn on, inspection, and most of the closing costs.

  • Nevada City, NV · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Im in the same situation now. I bought a house that was a HUD home and I had a buyers agent. Then the agent was working with me very little she showed me a grand total of 2 homes which took one afternoon. I have a verbal agreement to buy the home now and HUD wanted a minimum of X amount. By the time I added the listing agent fees and my buyers agent fee (which I rolled into the loan). I feel I didnt necessarily need a buyers agent and I am paying 7k for a buyers agent when she did not do much at all. But I am thinking you cant submit a bid without a NAID number so maybe I could not of placed a bid myself? I am worried I am loosing 7k for almost nothing. I called the listing agent many times (which always gets his cut) and he never once offered to submit a bid for me or anything. Am I missing something? Help I am loosing sleep over this. Thanks

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    You guys are assuming a lot without really knowing all the info. The listing agent gets paid 3% for listing the property and that has nothing to do with the buyers side. The buyers take a lot more work then you may think and even if it doesn't appear they are spending hours and hours on your deal. They spent a lot of time learning the HUD system, taking classes and educating themselves. Plus agents have insurance, MLS fees, board dues, office bills and more. On top of that when they represent a buyer they take on liability for that buyer. If te buyer does something dumb like repair a home before closing then that agent can lose their NAID and all ability to sell HUD homes.

    To me as a listing agent I would say no thank you to anything below 3% especially on a minimum $1250 commission. To do it for 500 would basically cost me money. It takes time to communicate with HUD, title companies and the buyer even for a cash deal.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Mark Ferguson

    Under the scenario he shared you would get $1750 instead of $1250 as you were the listing agent as well. As a broker, the vast number of HUDS I purchase for myself, but if I has a knowledgeable investor who doesn't need a whole lot of handholding I often discount the commission to make the net offer higher

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Greg H. I get $1250 as the listing agent no matter what. That isn't factored in. $500 extra to make sure all the docs are correct, ensure buyer is legit, take on liability for him, overnight fees for the contract and utility turn on request, meet him at te home for every showing is not worth it to me.

  • Nevada City, NV · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thanks guys for the responses. My question is if it was smart to use a buyers agent. This was my first home and I have no contingencies in the contract (no home inspection). I still feel I am getting a good deal but also feel I could of saved the buyers agent fee if I could of somehow submitted a bid. Can a individual get a NAID number? Can a listing agent submit a bid on behalf of the buyer? I know that would be a conflict of interest. Sorry for all the questions this is my first home and its alot to take in.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Only licensed agents can submit bids. Even if you could submit a bid, contract, earnest money and all the other items yourself there is a 98% chance HUD would cancel your bid Because you do it wrong.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    I see it all the time people don't like paying agent fee, which is a shame but the buyer expected to get a good deal.

    Joe Gore
  • Nevada City, NV · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thanks that will help me sleep at night knowing that I did not make a bad decision that cost me unessisarry fees.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Mark Ferguson:
    @Greg H. I get $1250 as the listing agent no matter what. That isn't factored in. $500 extra to make sure all the docs are correct, ensure buyer is legit, take on liability for him, overnight fees for the contract and utility turn on request, meet him at te home for every showing is not worth it to me.

    Agreed with Mark. As my own agent on HUD deals, I can tell you that just dealing with all the paperwork to get to a binding agreement isn't worth $500. HUD is very picky about every detail of the paperwork being exactly as they want it, and they also have tight deadlines, which often means collecting buyer paperwork and overnighting packages within hours of getting a bid accepted.

    Btw, if the paperwork is a PITA when I'm representing myself (where I've used the same documentation over and over and I'm easy to work with :), I can't even imagine how frustrating it would be when dealing with a typical buyer who probably isn't very on-top-of-things.

    And that's just paperwork part. Add in inspections, appraisal, dealing with the closing issues (of which there can be a lot with HUD), and I'm not sure it's worth even 3% commission...

  • Real Estate Investor · Irmo, SC · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 90 votes
    12y

    It may help to avoid the nickel and dime mentality and instead focus on the big picture. Suppose you had strong armed that listing agent into accepting the reduced commission. How would that agent feel? The next time that agent has a HUD listing coming down the pipeline, would he call you first?

    Now what if instead you had told the listing agent that since you never use a buyer's agent, any house he sells you, he would get to keep the entire commission, plus you would use him as your listing agent when you sell the house. Now who is he going to call first when he has new HUD listings in the pipeline?

    The big picture is saving $625 on one deal could cost you $000s in future profits. The real estate business is not about property, it is about people, building relationships and getting paid for solving problems.

    "In business you get what you want by giving other people what they want." Alice Foote MacDougall (1867-1945), U.S. businesswoman

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Sekelle,

    I like the way you spell it out for all the new comers.

    Joe Gore
  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Mark Ferguson

    We all have our price ! And like I said....any client I would do that for has to make it "easy" for me. On another note, how much input do yall have with the asset managers ? I typically find that the listing agents have very little knowledge about what is going on with the bidding/pricing. I usually call them after the bid has been accepted and the prevailing answer is "Wow I had not idea that HUD would take that offer"

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Greg H. we have no input unless our boo varies by more than 30% on initial price. One time I was able to have the appraiser go out and reducehis ridiculously high appraisal before a home was listed. Normally I don't see the appraisal and that is what list price is.

    I don't see the bids and have no input on what they accept.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I would have negotiated the commission with the listing agent. HUD deals take experienced agents.

    My wife and I purchased a HUD home, and I didn't take a commission so out bid would yield more to HUD.

    The offer with the highest yield wins period. Even if it is just over by $1.

    Some advice: make sure your paperwork is FLAWLESS.

  • Roanoke, VA · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I have been listing properties for HUD for 4 years and my experience is the accept bids in chronological order.

    Example- Bid #1 submitted 1st day of listing is full price offer, 6% commission

    Bid #2 submitted 2nd day of listing is $10,000 over list, 6% commission

    Bid #3 submitted 2nd day of listing is $15,000 over list, 6% commission.

    HUD accepted bid #1 because it met their criteria for this property. How I know is because I was the listing agent and I entered the 2nd & 3rd bids. I saw the accepted offer when I received the fully executed contract.

    If I am representing HUD as the listing agent and I sell the property to a buyer the first thing I do is have them sign a disclosure that I represent HUD and am working for the seller. I also explain to them that I will be receiving the full compensation for the sale.

    I have never had anyone question this or want to use another agent.

    I have sold over 50 HUD assets.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Walter Grewe I have heard someone else mention this may happen in the south with one asset management company. Where I am they collect all bids from the initial bid periods and take the highest net. I have been told by my asset managers this is how HUD wants it. There may be one rogue asset manager out there doing it differently. Otherwise what's the point of a 10 or 5 day sealed bid period.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Okay, so the brokerage commission is already in agreement, the listing agent will be getting a set fee, whether or not there is a buyer's agent. The listing agent splits their commission with the buyer's agent, so, if your agent makes less, then the listing agent makes more, either way, your bid is the same. If a different amount is on the bid, HUD can and probably will reject your bid because it wasn't filled in properly. HUD requires that you use an agent, so you can't submit the offer on your own. The only change I would see is use YOUR buyer's agent, someone that represents you, because the money is already being paid out by HUD, so they may as well be paying someone you know, trust, and represents you. @Sekelle O. has it right. If you are buying one house ever, then try to negotiate commissions, if that agent caves, and takes little to nothing, then you've found a pretty poor negotiator, and should probably hang up the phone and call the next guy. One mistake could cause HUD to cancel this contract or bid, so having a good agent on your side that is familiar with the process is invaluable.

    Keith W Hefner

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Keith Hefner

    I addressed this in the other thread as well that it is inaccurate that the commission is "already in agreement" on a HUD property and the listing agent will get more if the selling agent reduces their commission. The bid will NOT be rejected. Again, I have several hundred settlement statements to prove this correct

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.