Did i blow it on this Fannie Mae property?

Did i blow it on this Fannie Mae property?

Real Estate Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 1 vote

Hi Bp,

I offered 100 dollars over asking price on a Homepath/fannie mae property with 5000 in earnest money and a 45 day financing contigency. Thought the offer was strong being as though the home has been listed for 20 days. Fannie mae didnt think so, they countered me saying they want to cut my financing contigency by 16 days. However, i needed that contigency bc I am currently out of state and obtaining new employment in the state which the fannie mae property is. I still need to get my 30 days worth of stubs and leave time for underwriting.

I countered them back today changing my offer to an investor offer bc its the only way i could accept their new contigency and move my loan along faster. but, i also threw in for them to pay 3% in closing costs since im now having to bid as investor.

Im having regrets about asking them for those closings costs. Thinking they may reject the contract all together. What do you think are my chances of them accepting to pay closing or at least countering back once more? Did i blow it?

My agent said there is one other offer on the property. Property has been listed for at least 20 days now.

Also in the event i manage to get under contract, how much will i have to put down in downpayments?my Broker previously told me 20% for investment properties but ive recently read that homepath allows investors to put down less?

How hard will it be for me to switch this property to my primary residence, refinance to get the primary interest rate and pull my cash back out?

Thanks!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
13y

How does "changing to an investor offer" get your financing approved faster?
I would have countered back at what time frame you needed.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    How does "changing to an investor offer" get your financing approved faster?
    I would have countered back at what time frame you needed.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Can I ask why you changed your offer to investor? I think I'm missing something here because you have I believe 60 days after close before you're supposed to be moved in so I don't see why you couldn't do an owner occupied offer still and just move in once you actually get to your new job even if that is a month after you close.

    Homepath mortgages allow investors to put down as low as 10% but it is up to the individual bank that is underwriting the loan as to what their requirement is for DP.

    As far as the refi(rate/term) shouldn't be difficult 6 months of seasoning and you can do it, to get cash out that I don't know if you will easily find a product that will want to lend more than 80/20 when you already are at that LTV.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Bidding as an investor i would be able to go into underwriting as soon as the contract is executed rather than wait for new stubs from new employment to even start the underwriting process which delays everything.

    My Agent made it seem like i couldnt counter back the same offer again but realistically i guess i should have and kept it as an owner.

    Regarding refinance, i really wanted to put down 10-15 % on a conventional so if i do have to put down 20% as an investor id like to pull another 5-10% back out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Sorry my current job is out of state so i cannot use this job to qualify me for owner loan until i get those new stubs from new job in state.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y

    None of this makes sense to me.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    What part isn't clear?

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    You need financing either way, whether owner occupied or as investor. So you will have to qualify for that loan either way. I don't think it will be easier to qualify as an investor ...

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    I can qualify for an invester loan now because the investor loan wont require me to work in the state of the property. I cannot qualify for an owner loan until i get 30 days worrh of stubs in the state of the property so the process is delayed.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y

    You're not going to want to finance via homepath, it's too expensive and the APR is ridiculous. If you have the 20%, put it down.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Pennsylvania Furnace, PA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Danielle Prendergast whether you do it as a homeowner or an investor you should check out the lenders on homepath and see what rate they can give you.

    On the homepath site you need to look under the "financing" tab and look for all the lenders in the state you are purchasing the home. You can then check their websites and see what they are offering on homepath homes. I would have done this before an offer was ever made. Prequalification is always fore front in my dealings.

    I have a mortgage broker but his lenders can only get me 20% down loans so when I am looking at homepath I use the lenders listed on their site. I was able to find one that does 10% down and a decent APR. My broker is cool with it too because I'll still use him for other deals outside homepath.

    Hope this helps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.