Short Sale finalized Bankruptcy afterward from seller

Short Sale finalized Bankruptcy afterward from seller

Kevin PolitePro Member
Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 611 posts · 232 votes

We closed on a short sale (after nearly 5 months) and have the HUD and were getting ready for demo when we received a call from the seller's agent. She said that an attorney for the seller filed bankruptcy 2 days before our closing, however, she was suppose to wait until after the closing so the home wouldn't be listed as an asset. She did not include the home as an asset. The bank sent the money back to the closing attorney. I've got a call into the the bankruptcy attorney, however the seller's agent said we should be ok after the May 16 court date. We had just started demo. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I've researched on Bigger Pockets and haven't found a similar scenario, but am wonder should I contine with work or hire an attorney?

0Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    The bankruptcy trustee won't have any interest in the underwater house. But, you could have further delays, it may depend if it was a 13 or a 7. I would wait. The bank will likely have to issue a new approval, and you'll have to close again.

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 611 posts · 232 votes
    13y

    Thanks for your reply. I'm now out of pocket for additional days (months?) for vacant property insurance + utilities.

  • Real Estate Broker · Orange, CT · Member since 2013 · 951 posts · 218 votes
    13y

    If they sent the money back, then the deals off for the time being. You don't own the house and I would wait.

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 611 posts · 232 votes
    13y

    So glad I did! The original lender asked the court to remove the home from the bankruptcy, which it did, but it took a month for it to be recorded. We closed again last Tuesday, now Sertus is asking for the release papers. Odd thing is they were responding to the listing agents email that had the release papers attached. Hope to have them realize this, but most likely after the 4th.
    Hung in there because this is a good deal and this is a spught after area and deals are hard to find. Plus is a Mid-Century Modern and it's going to be fun to do
    .sometimes patience is a virtue.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.