Refi issues when adding an ADU to a duplex in CA?!?!?

Refi issues when adding an ADU to a duplex in CA?!?!?

San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes

Hello everyone, uber noob here...  Thanks for all your insight and support!

I purchased my primary residence, a two-building duplex close to the beach in San Diego. It's been a great buy so far, bought it from a flipper for a very good price and the existing tenant is military and a great person. I began the permit process to add an ADU to the building with the current tenant. The numbers will be great after this and my goal was to refinance out of FHA after I'm finished with construction and the ADU is rented. Then use FHA to go find another duplex or SFR that has room for an ADU to be added.

I spoke with my mortgage broker today to let him know my plan. I'm still about 3-4 months from the completion of this project but wanted to share this plan with him and get whatever ground level plan going. He told me that if I add the ADU to my duplex, that it will be next to impossible to find financing. That for my plan to work, I will need to go through a different permitting process so that my property becomes a "Triplex"

My questions for everyone here is:  Is this correct?  What options do I have?  Any recommendations?

There is a vast wealth of knowledge on these forums and many of us learn from the questions others ask.  I hope all is well with everyone, stay safe and thank you for your input!!!

0Reply
157 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Matt Devincenzo:

Yes there is a thread here on BP where @Chris Mason mentioned exactly this issue. Conventional guidelines only include lending on a SFR w/ ADU...and appraisal issues are a separate beast. As far as making your property a triplex, I work almost exclusively in the City of San Diego as a site land use Civil and would gladly look up the address and tell you the feasibility. If your base zoning doesn't support it though, it is essentially not feasible period.

Yup, here it is directly from fanniemae.com --> 

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    6y

    @Oscar Miguel I don't know the answer to your question but we added an ADU to our SFH in Oceanside last year and have been talking with our loan broker about doing a refi. She said she doesn't know how the ADU will be considered by the appraiser or bank because there isn't a good history about them yet. She's hoping we can just have a drive-by appraisal done since it's a refi. We did full permits and I have been watching the tax records and so far our house still shows as a single family property, not a duplex or a SFH with an ADU, and I don't know if it will even be changed by the tax assessor.

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Hi! @Bruce May and @Oscar Miguel! I'm trying to add an ADU as well in SFH.... Can we share your contractor details if you are happy with them, and the approximate cost... may even some pictures? Thanks!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Bruce May

    Thanks for your reply. Apparently this is an issue when adding an ADU to a duplex.

    From my understanding, adding an ADU isn't going to convert your property to a duplex or mine to a triplex and that seems to be the issue. It sounds to me like this will probably change over time as more and more people add ADUs. But, I was hoping some of the lending experts would weigh in.

    The legislation for ADUs is new and like solar back in the day, this will probably take appraisers and banks a while to catch up on how to properly value the properties.

    Still hoping for some insight on this issue, I can imagine that this will happen more and more often with house hackers.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Yes there is a thread here on BP where @Chris Mason mentioned exactly this issue. Conventional guidelines only include lending on a SFR w/ ADU...and appraisal issues are a separate beast. As far as making your property a triplex, I work almost exclusively in the City of San Diego as a site land use Civil and would gladly look up the address and tell you the feasibility. If your base zoning doesn't support it though, it is essentially not feasible period.

  • San Diego · Member since 2019 · 87 posts · 50 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt Devincenzo:

    I work almost exclusively in the City of San Diego as a site land use Civil and would gladly look up the address and tell you the feasibility.

     Hi Matt! I'm in North Park, glad to have you here! Can you tell me what you mean by "tell you the feasibility"? 

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Joshua J Cawthorn I can let you know what the unit density is based upon zoning....there are also several varying densities based upon several differing density calc's for certain overlay zones and/or bonuses. Also there are differences in densities if there are underlying legal lots that may be able to be utilized to allow for a different per lot density than the base zoning density.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Matt Devincenzo

    Awesome Matt, now we are talking!  Thank you for chiming in and lending a hand with your expertise.

    My property is in Imperial Beach and zone is R3000. I have two dwellings on a 7300 sq ft lot so I do not believe I can make this lot a triplex. Unless I join the two detached dwellings and make it a multiple-unit dwelling (I think), but that would entail more construction costs and remove some of the ease that the new ADU bills provide.

    So it sounds like if I add the ADU to one of the detached units, leave them as detached units...I may be out of luck with financing. Until lending guidelines change?

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt Devincenzo:

    Yes there is a thread here on BP where @Chris Mason mentioned exactly this issue. Conventional guidelines only include lending on a SFR w/ ADU...and appraisal issues are a separate beast. As far as making your property a triplex, I work almost exclusively in the City of San Diego as a site land use Civil and would gladly look up the address and tell you the feasibility. If your base zoning doesn't support it though, it is essentially not feasible period.

    Yup, here it is directly from fanniemae.com --> 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Thank you @Chris Mason.  Is this something that you think will change in the future as ADUs become a more common item in the consumer arena?

    So my take from this is that once I build this; I will likely not be able to refinance out of my FHA. Thus, for my next purchase I will need to find a different program...

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Oscar Miguel:

    Thank you @Chris Mason.  Is this something that you think will change in the future as ADUs become a more common item in the consumer arena?

    So my take from this is that once I build this; I will likely not be able to refinance out of my FHA. Thus, for my next purchase I will need to find a different program...

    Mortgage guidelines in the short to medium term are going to get tighter, not looser. 

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Oscar Miguel the specific address could change the answer depending on the long term general plan ect, but it's not likely. Based on the existing zoning, no you would not be able to build a tri-plex even if you connected the existing two units it would still be in the R-3000 zone which doesn't allow for a three unit So unless by some change the parcel is in the R-3000 but the long range plan has it being an increased density in the future, you'd be a duplex with an ADU...which creates financing issues.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Matt Devincenzo Rock on, thank you for the input. While it puts a damper on what I was hoping to do...I feel it makes sense to continue with the ADU and hope that in the future someday I can refinance out of the FHA. I'll have to save up for a bigger down payment for the next move.

    Thank you!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    Maybe try to talk to a commercial or portfolio lender? They may be able to look at it differently. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Cesar Cruz:

    Hi! @Bruce May and @Oscar Miguel! I'm trying to add an ADU as well in SFH.... Can we share your contractor details if you are happy with them, and the approximate cost... may even some pictures? Thanks!

     Hi Cesar!  I reached out to 7 or 8 contractors.  Many didn't even return my call or email, it's crazy how busy they were.  Those that did return my call were quoting $80k-$100k for a 575sq ft build within my garage.  I hired an architect for the design.  It shouldn't have been that high (for my particular application), so I'm going to build it myself.  Going through permitting at the city right now.

    FWIW, in SD, paying the $80k-$100k would still be worth it.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Oscar Miguel:
    Originally posted by @Cesar Cruz:

    Hi! @Bruce May and @Oscar Miguel! I'm trying to add an ADU as well in SFH.... Can we share your contractor details if you are happy with them, and the approximate cost... may even some pictures? Thanks!

     Hi Cesar!  I reached out to 7 or 8 contractors.  Many didn't even return my call or email, it's crazy how busy they were.  Those that did return my call were quoting $80k-$100k for a 575sq ft build within my garage.  I hired an architect for the design.  It shouldn't have been that high (for my particular application), so I'm going to build it myself.  Going through permitting at the city right now.

    FWIW, in SD, paying the $80k-$100k would still be worth it.  

     If you are willing to the GC the project yourself by hiring subs and dealing with the city, you could probably do it under $50K. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Absolutely @Account Closed , that's plan!

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Oscar Miguel Thanks! Maybe I'd hire you as my GC when yours is all done! Hahaha! but seriously that's good advice! 

  • Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Chris Mason How about other refi program than FHA? Would it be okay to do Cash out refi after the ADU completed ? Thanks in advance.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    Hello Everyone - great thread and very informative. We (wife & I) built our ADU in the City of La Mesa in 2018 and I was able to obtain it's own address. We are currently looking at a cash out-refi on the property and I have been trying to get a conventional loan with the lowest interest rate. The main house is currently rented and we use my ADU as my main address (deployed overseas, home of record). My lender has informed me that I'm unable to qualify for conventional loan b/c the main house is rented. I have been arguing that the property is like a duplex, where I currently live in one and the other is rented. However, I have been unsuccessful in winning my argument. I'm curious if anyone else is or has gone through a similar situation?

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Ask your lender for the section of the underwriting guidelines they are saying makes you ineligible for the conventional loan. That will help with identifying what the specific issue is, and how (if possible) it can be overcome. If you're not in too deep I'd suggest giving a mortgage broker like @Chris Mason a call...he's great with knowing what the issue is, how to overcome it, and when you can't and just need to move on. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    Hi @Oscar Miguel,

    Was searching the internet and saw your post today. Just wondering if you are able to refinance your duplex + ADU yet? I am in the same boat and have been shopping around with no luck.

    Thanks,

    Khoa

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Khoa Ha:

    Hi @Oscar Miguel,

    Was searching the internet and saw your post today. Just wondering if you are able to refinance your duplex + ADU yet? I am in the same boat and have been shopping around with no luck.

    Thanks,

    Khoa

    Hello Khoa, unfortunately not. Everyone I spoke with said they could not/would not refinance a duplex with an ADU as it would make the loan intelligible to be packaged and resold...or something along those lines. Ultimately, I had to adjust and plan based on this information. I am hearing rumors that guidelines will change for CA ADUs in 2021 that could provide much more flexibility, I imagine since there is such a shortage of housing in CA.

    Are you planning on building, or selling a property with an ADU?

  • Real Estate Broker · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    @Oscar Miguel thank you for the update. We have a 3-units purchased back in 2009. However, only 2 units were legal. We recently received the approval from the city to have the 3rd become an ADU. However, when we want to do a cash out refinance thats when we run into issue.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Khoa Ha:

    @Oscar Miguel thank you for the update. We have a 3-units purchased back in 2009. However, only 2 units were legal. We recently received the approval from the city to have the 3rd become an ADU. However, when we want to do a cash out refinance thats when we run into issue.

    Congrats on the permitting of the ADU! I'm sure things will change soon, but at least you can pull a HELOC on the property if it's owner occupied. Just have to find a bank or credit union that allows HELOCs on multi-fam.

  • Real Estate Broker · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    Thank you. I will look into that. 

    Thanks,

    Khoa

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.