From sucessfully crowdfunding development to building and selling it

From sucessfully crowdfunding development to building and selling it

Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes

Thanks to all that followed me through my first crowdfunding raise for my infill development project. I figured why stop the party! I am going to chronicle the rest of the journey. 

Some background information on the project to start. I was able to assemble and divide 4 residential infill lots in an up and coming area in Charlotte NC. with the current zoning I was able to divide the 4 lots and make 6 lots. After looking at comps in the area and the market I picked six unique plans. I managed to fund the first of these 6 houses through Ifunding. 

We started moving dirt yesterday the lots are being cleared and graded. They will stake the foundation by Monday and maybe we will have permits in hand by Friday. My building permit is in plan review (7-10) day . 

first day pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/an1uh5r53buqnl2/AADB_u_...

5Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

@Kenneth Bell  That's great! Looking forward to watching your progress. Looks like the New Construction Forum is going to be busy. We are building, you are, @Bryan Hancock  @John Blackman , and @J Scott  

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Actually on a 10 foot basement. That would be a very expensive slab.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Looking good! Congrats! 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I've been trying to get BP to do a forum specifically for threads on new builds and remodels so that we can easily find to follow the progress!! But until then, I'll monitor the ones I see. :) I have a hard time remembering the subject line for the ones I posted to update!! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    project is looking good

    Congrats on the second ifunding 

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @karen margrave,

    I honestly have been so busy I have not been the best about posting updates. I will have 3 going on the same site within a week and a half if all goes right in plan review. We have had a lot of traffic and interest already. I also learned we will have a historic street car line literally a stones throw away!! I will try to do a better job keeping this updated. We will probably start another raise once I have the first house in drywall. 

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @jenkins Ramon,

    Thanks iFunding has been great and I had a private investor fund one as well. Just 3 more to go! I have a bigger project in the works but I will post more when and if is locked up

  • Bullhead City, AZ · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Kenneth Bell 

    Would you be open to sharing more of your experience with iFunding?  What kind of information did they request when you presented the project and while they were vetting you?  What kind information did you have to provide to them during construction?  What did you have pay to iFunding in fees? Does iFunding hold the title? Thanks

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @ Dustin,

    This is a common question that I have answered in this thread I believe..... You can also go on ifunding and see the terms. You can chose to raise equity or debt and I have done both. 

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @dustin

    I also did a thread on the whole process. I am on my mobile so it is not so easy to share the link but I will post it. It will answer a lot of those questions

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Dustin Morgan 

    Here is a link for the post I began when I started my first raise ever.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/520/topics/131...

    At the time I had never used crowdfunding and knew nothing about it. With the help and direction of some crowdfuning and development pros @Bryan Hancock  I dove in and worked on my first offering.  With some solid advice from Bryan and working with Ifunding I completed my first raise. When I started on this journey I asked for a playbook.....no one answered that question but I was given some sound advice and I will pass it on. Call your own play!, no one can give you the road map because each deal is different.

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Sorry I have not posted in a while just been super busy!!! We are dried in, Plumbing rough is done, sheathing inspection passed on to siding and exterior paint, HVAC done by Friday. House 2 comes out of the ground next Tuesday!!! House 3 in 2 weeks!!!!

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Bell:

    @Jon Klaus Jon we raise about 195k on this one.  I will have 3 of the 6 on this infill site underway in 30 days. I crowdfuned another one about a week ago on Ifunding and I have a private investor on another. The weather here has been killing me!! But we are still on schedule.

    Kenneth,

    Thanks for posting this. Very impressive with your work and quick pace of building!

    What's your estimated return on the project and total timeline from buying the lots to selling the finished product?

    I'm now raising a fund and am an investor in TX, NC, SC, and various other locations.  If I run across any infill opps, I'll be sure to get in touch with you.  Please shoot me your coordinates.

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    @Kenneth Bell Thanks so much for posting this thread and the one about your crowdfunding experience as well. 

    House is looking good, please keep us updated on activity and sales. 

    I love the infill development idea, I have thought about that for the Wilmington area which is really starting to get some traction again. 

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Jon, sorry I have been so busy I have not been on here much. We will make an average of about 29% per house. The first one list in a week and we have had lots of traffic in anticipation of it listing. These lots I had owned for a while but I like to build and list in 120days or so. The first house ran longer because I completed all the site work for all the lots at one time. Here are some more recent pictures. 

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Keith Bloemendaal I like the Wilmington area, I have not done anything there but I am sure there are good spots to develop.

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    We hope to raise for the 4th house In a week or so. I will post when that offering goes live.

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
    11y

    @Kenneth Bell 

    Impressive! Nice work.

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Thanks!

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Progress!!

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    We have officially 4 houses in progress on site at one time. I will post some recent pictures but in the next few months I will have little time to get on! We will break ground on the last two in the coming months!

  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 129 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Kenneth Bell Nice work. Whereabout in Charlotte are these new homes?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Looking good!

  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Nalo Coban The houses are in Seversville

    @Bryan Hancock  Thanks Bryan!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 299 votes
    11y

    @Kenneth Bell@Scott L.

      How are the 4 iFunding State Street deals in Charlotte progressing?  The first couple of those should be near term end, shouldn't they?  Any repaid yet?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.