ADU Prefab options in Bay area

ADU Prefab options in Bay area

Investor · San Carlos, CA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 17 votes

Hello,

I am considering putting an ADU behind my rental property in East Palo Also. Keeping the setbacks aside, I can build around 40*20 = 800 sf ADU. Keeping rentability in mind, I am trying to do a 2bed/1bath

I have been looking at options and looks like the cheapest construction cost is going to be around $250/sf + many other additional cost. I have been talking to various other Prefab companies and below is my analysis until now -

a) Abodu - really nice adu, have a model that you can view in Redwood city. will cost around 230k all inclusive for under 500sf. 1b/1ba

b) Veev - pretty nice adu, have a model that you can view in East palo alto. will cost around 200k all inclusive for under 570sf, but 70sf is for covered deck, so essentially living space is around 500sf. 1b/1ba. good thing is they seem to be an established company and doing bunch of other construction projects in bay area

c) Sonderpods - have not seen these yet, but i have been talking to them. their cost will be around 190k (doesnt include appliances cost) for 750sf, 2b/1ba. This seems most attractive from a cost perspective, but they also seem to be very new in this game. from some quick research their CEO is not even doing this full-time

Others that I have across that I still need to research are -

https://www.shedshop.com/models-prices/studio/https://connect-homes.com/models
http://tallerescape.com/vmd/

http://kithaus.com/

https://www.cuttingedgehomes.net

The factors that are important for me in making the decision are -

i) Price

ii) Confidence whether the ADU seller will be around when issues start showing up in 5+ yrs

iii) Ability to deliver / references

Would love to know if any of you have done a similar analysis already or have used any of these companies?


Thanks

6Reply
227 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes
6y

@Namit Raisurana

I have heard other investors talk about a company called Boxabl based in Las Vegas doing exactly this. From what I have heard, they have a 300 sq ft model for around $50k. Pricing could be area specific ,but I hope that helps.

See this reply in the discussion

73 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I looked at all of the prefab options and ADORE Homes have the largest selection and are very well priced for what you are getting.  Seem like a solid team.  Also, I am super busy at work and don't have time to deal with the project.  They will take care of everything.  

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Hi @Namit Raisurana ! I've also been looking into prefab ADU's for my home as well. I looked at many options and the 2 companies that I'm still most interested in at this point is https://www.thebaymodular.com/  and https://livemodal.com/ . I've gotten a pretty good estimate from livemodal for a 2br 567sq ft w/ turnkey installation..etc.. for around $209k, and my area is on a slope so a bit more complex than a flat backyard. The unit itself is only $129k. They have been super responsive and a pleasure to work with so far. Baymodular I haven't received a precise quote but I think the ballpark range for my project will be 210 - 230k. It's a bigger unit though. They have models in Oakland you can tour in person. Livemodal gave me a video tour. Hope that info helps :) 

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Amanda Rothstein I’m talking to modal next week. Was your price difference primarily because of the slope or because their pricing doesn’t include a lot of the necessary infrastructure items? If it’s all the hookups etc that aren’t included then abodu is competitive in pricing. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Dana Rositano I'm only looking into 2 bedroom units, and since the Abodu 2br "starts" at $259k, I didn't think it made since when I was getting all in price quotes from livemodal that were much better and already taking my slope into account. I've been working with Hunter from livemodal and he's really great. He used satellite imaging and some photos provided by me to give me some detailed all-in estimates for 2 different site locations on my property. My only hesitance on moving forward with them is that the kitchen/living area is small, and the baymodular one is larger.

  • Investor · San Carlos, CA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 17 votes
    5y
    I am able to get 800sqft (2bed 2 bath) for around 150k that includes all costs, but it will be a Manufactured home. Am i crazy to think about putting a Manufactured home on my property? After doing some prelim research and talking to these companies who will do the installation work for me, it feels like there is generaly negative perception around Manufactured home but if they are done right and on proper foundation, it is difficult to differentiate them prefab homes.

    Also, considering I am putting this ADU in East Palo Alto, I am bit hesitant in putting a too fancy prefab home. Would have been a different story if I was installing this in my backyard.

    Thoughts?

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I am considering putting ADU in my backyard and had no idea where to start. This is a great discussion. I was told by couple of my friends that it would cost around 4K per sq ft and could take 12-18 months. This discussion is very helpful. What is difference between Manufactured home and pre-fab ? And which builder or company gave you such a great price ? Thanks.

  • Architect · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 90 posts · 57 votes
    5y

    @Maneesh Agarwal if you do custom at Min. I’d estimate $400/sf for smaller unit - with a custom unit, 2-4 months for architectural design / documentation / and then 2-3 months of permitting and 6-8 months to build, I can imagine the 12-18 month timeline is correct. Cost is way off

     We have a number of preapproved / pre-designed units that compress the timeline down to 1-2 months to design, if you are on San Jose we can have a permit for 532 sf single bedroom unit in 3 weeks (timeline is 3-4 months for custom)

  • Real Estate Agent · SF Bay Area - Greater East Bay · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I saw this article that I thought was interesting if timeline is a critical factor for ADU projects.
    Note, I am not getting compensated for sharing this info.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/j...


  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Fwiw, we've had custom, stick-built projects for cost-efficient homeowners go for $260-$275/ sq ft and 3-5 months of construction. End to end, 7-9 months depending on speed of design and permitting is reasonable with a good GC who moves quickly and a well managed project.

  • Sherry McQuageBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Moore County, NC · Member since 2020 · 168 posts · 141 votes
    5y

    @Sean Pan

    I'm following this eagerly. I love the idea of adding ADU's. Have not yet found a cost effective way to do this.

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Namit Raisurana curious to know who did you end up going with and how's the process coming along?

  • Brandon HutslarPro Member
    Investor · Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hi Namit, 

    Have you begun your ADU project? We offer manufactured homes and I would love to offer a bid on your project. PM me if you are interested!

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Namit Raisurana Curious to know as well how the project is going.

    Also, does anyone have recommendations for pre-fab ADUs in the LA area that are 1,000 - 1,200 SF? I have sufficient space in the side yard and most of the pre-fab detached ADU options I've seen so far cap out at around 850 SF

  • Architect · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 90 posts · 57 votes
    5y

    @Kevin Chen I'll give your company more work then you could handle if you could stick build a 500 sf unit for $140,000

  • Brandon HutslarPro Member
    Investor · Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Ronak Patel ADU4You has a good amount of ADUs over 850 sqft in the LA area if you are interested. Not all of the floor plans are listed on the website, but you can submit a request and they will send them over to you. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Ronak Patel , If you're looking for something a bit high end, steelblox has a 960 sq ft ADU, and a 1200 sq ft adu. https://www.steelblox.com

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Thank you @Amanda Rothstein and @Brandon Hutslar

    The trouble with some of the prefab options, especially the higher ends on is that they don't look like the original home. My city requires the ADU to look similar in style to the main home and I'm not sure how strict they are on this.

    I saw that Champion Home Builders operates in LA and they have a lot of pre-fab options. Anyone have experience working with them for an ADU?

    https://www.championhomes.com/...

  • Brandon HutslarPro Member
    Investor · Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Ronak Patel ADU4You is a dealer for Champion Home Builders, they can get you any of their units that you desire. They will be able to design the roof pitches, exterior, and colors to make it fit your neighborhood if you’re interested. 

  • San Mateo, CA · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    I am following this thread. If you're going to go the owner-built route, you can check out robuilt video on youtube. He built his ADU himself in LA for $72000. I think you can get his plan and he also describes his permitting and building process.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    Hey all - my quick summary on my experience with this:

    - i haven't really seen companies getting adus to turnkey in the bay area for under $300 / sqft consistently

    - make sure the company you engage has a track record on this and not just nice looking renderings on their website. I would be very careful about some of the companies advertising adu's because of their lack of experience

    - if you're site isn't flat, make sure your quotes are specific to your site

    - understand the state adu policies - they generally take precedent over local ones and significantly less restrictive than those listed by local municipalities. the state has a technical team that you can email for guidance and they have been very responsive and helpful in my experience. 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 230 votes
    5y

    @Michael Frank - Completely agree.  A Buyer should be really cautious of projects for less than $300/SQFT and for flashy advertising. Many new companies have jumped into this new ADU market WITHOUT a lot of expertise.

    Additionally, I second the support @Alex B mentioned on the YouTube Channel "Robuilt". I have personally enjoyed Rob's content and feel that he shares a genuine desire to help bring real advice to the ADU World.

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Hutslar Good to know, thank you.

    Anyone have experience working directly with Champion Home Builders to get a pre-fab ADU?

    @Michael Frank On your last point, I've had the experience where the local city ADU limit of 1,000 SF took precedence over the CA state law of 1,200 SF. They will not allow me to build over 1,000 SF even though the state allows it.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    @Ronak Patel I can't speak to your specific local but 1000sqft is the max easily doable amount across municipalities in CA

  • Brandon HutslarPro Member
    Investor · Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Ronak Patel I believe to work directly with Champion Homes you’d have to become a dealer. Also, state law says that municipalities can’t make any limits less that 1000 sqft, they don’t have to allow 1200 sqft. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    5y

    Why bother with prefab when you can build custom ADU fitting your backyard shapes? the cost difference is not big enough to justify the sacrifice in quality and design flexibility. In premium BAY area locations, the quality is much more important than saving a few bucks. Come on, you are adding value to your property, it's not time to get cheap.

    I checked a few Prefabs, they are actually more expansive than my site built cost, if you add the additional utility, foundation, and soft cost. I think the problem is they lack enough scale to cut down the cost. I chose to site build until a true good quality prefab can prove itself sometime in the future.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.