Is SFR Cashflow a Myth?

Is SFR Cashflow a Myth?

Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 22 votes

As I build up my SFR portfolio I am starting to ask myself: "Is the idea of SFR cashflow simply a spreadsheet myth?"

The common "goal" for SFR investing is $200+/month in cashflow, i.e. cash leftover after PITI and all expenses/reserves. This sounds great on paper, and when you get paid out by your property manager each month all is right and good in the world.

In reality, each of these houses have several "time bombs" just waiting to go off, namely roof & HVAC replacement. Build up enough SFR's in your portfolio and you're destined to be replacing one or more of these components each year. It is a mathematical certainty, as these components age out over different timelines across the portfolio. In 2 years, I have bought 7 houses, 8 doors total- and have now unexpectedly had to replace 2 HVAC units.

So for arguments sake, let’s say I’m making $200/month in spreadsheet cashflow on a given house after expenses/reserves, and reserving $75 each month for capex expense. I get a call from my property manager saying the HVAC died and it’ll be $6,000 to replace it. I bought the house 1 year ago, so best case scenario I have $900 saved for this time bomb.

Assuming $200/month “cashflow”, it would take 2+ years to make up for the difference, meaning this house is cashflow negative for the next 2+ years.

Now, I have cashflow and capex reserves from the other houses in my portfolio that can theoretically cover this expense. But when analyzing my portfolio, I have to assess each house independently to identity outperformers/laggards.

But since this will continue to happen - time bombs knocking out cashflow for 2+ years at a time, I’m questioning whether my portfolio is cashflow positive at all at this point. And will it ever be in the future?

Is all this “cashflow” showing on my spreadsheets simply a figment of my imagination?

9Reply
359 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
4y

You need to switch to properties that are…

Less than 20-30 years old

Have stucco siding and tile roofs

Don’t have tornadoes, hurricanes, snow storms, earthquakes

Have very low property taxes

Don’t have state income taxes

Have very cheap insurance

I have an average repair budget of under 2% of rent, average vacancy of less than 2%, insurance is 3%, property tax is 5%, capex is less than 1%. Income tax is of course 0%. If you can keep all your expenses under 15% of rent it’s a lot easier. I don’t see how you do that with an 80 year old home, with high taxes and insurance in tornado alley or on the hurricane coast. 

But to really answer your question. When I started I didn’t care that they cashflowed $100-$200. Because if you need that cashflow you went ready to invest in real estate yet. As you pointed out with your ac example, which could be a roof if you have shingles, or siding if you don’t have stucco. But 20 years later costs have risen 40-50% while rents have way more than doubled. Now $1,000/door is more common and still with just 5% yearly appreciation that’s worth hundreds of thousand more than the cashflow, per property. 

Don't use todays numbers, use 5-10 years from now number. Can you imagine investing your first years contributions to an ira and seeing you earned $155 and saying "I'm not doing that any more, it just isn't worth it." Ps. If you treat them like a retirement plan instead of immediate income you lead in to the "your ira doesn't cashflow and yet you invest in it argument." And you could easily argue real estate has better tax advantages than an IRA.

Just keep at it. There is truly no easier way for the average American to get ahead. 

See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    I agree, except for #2. The higher CF you get when you pay all cash from the start is an illusion as far as returns go. In order to make a profit, you must first recover all of your cost. When you buy a property, the only cost a REI pays is the cash out of pocket.

    So, when they pay $100k in cash for a $100k property they are paying the full price for that property. The cost to the REI is $100k and they must recover $100k in CF before they can count any profit. If their CF was $10k a year, then it would take them 10 years to recover their cost...and then start making a profit.

    So you are saying that when United airlines buys a 300M dollar aircraft, they only make a profit when profit on that plane alone exceeds 300M? That is not how business accounting is done. You depreciate the cost over the life of the asset. Except in housing the value of the asset actually can increase over time. What you are talking about is payback time which is less important if the asset holds or increases its value over time. For a truly depreciating asset like a car or truck or plane it makes sense.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    I agree, except for #2. The higher CF you get when you pay all cash from the start is an illusion as far as returns go. In order to make a profit, you must first recover all of your cost. When you buy a property, the only cost a REI pays is the cash out of pocket.

    So, when they pay $100k in cash for a $100k property they are paying the full price for that property. The cost to the REI is $100k and they must recover $100k in CF before they can count any profit. If their CF was $10k a year, then it would take them 10 years to recover their cost...and then start making a profit.

    So you are saying that when United airlines buys a 300M dollar aircraft, they only make a profit when profit on that plane alone exceeds 300M? That is not how business accounting is done. You depreciate the cost over the life of the asset. Except in housing the value of the asset actually can increase over time. What you are talking about is payback time which is less important if the asset holds or increases its value over time. For a truly depreciating asset like a car or truck or plane it makes sense.

     ...and that's how companies that look great on paper, go out of business.  Their paper assets, on their paper accounting, can't pay the bills because they lack the paper to pay them.  When their vendors and employees want to get paid, they can't take a scissors and cut out a piece of the paper those assets are written on, and use that to pay them.

    Real profit is tangible, not virtual.  You can run all the accounting definitions in the world at me, but in the end the only profit that keeps a business afloat is liquid.  Those other assets you mentioned, and include them as profit, are only profit when they become tangible.

    Your plane example doesn't fly.  If the cost of that plane doesn't generate its own self sustaining income, then they get rid of the plane.  When the cost of an employee isn't recovered by that employee's work, then that employee is gone, or at least placed where their cost is self sustaining.

    Every property is (or should be as) its own separate self sustaining business, much like Little Caesars has many businesses under that corporate name.  When a business isn't holding its own, they are either fixed, or gone.  They are not allowed to be a drain on the other successful businesses in that corporation.

    Cash is what a business uses to sustain itself.  It's the lifeblood of every business.  It's the most important profit because without it, any other virtual profit really doesn't exist...yet.

  • Investor · Philadelphia Metro · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 75 votes
    4y

    @Lesley Resnick, this works very well in an up market. Rent increases, and appreciation happening year over year. What ends up making this strategy riskier is if there is an overall market downturn, or a slide in rental price increases, or decreases is rent (ask folks who bought in Detriot in 1999 what happened in 2008 to 2010). What happens at this time is if you have major cap ex happen at a time that coincides with a downturn your working capital might dry up. This is why lenders, professional investors, and folks underwriting deal preach having reserves. There are creative ways to make those reserves work for you, but they act as an insurance policy for major expenses. And ideally you run the numbers of what these major expenses are likely to be (roof life expectancy, major systems, hvac, plumbing, siding, brick maintenance etc.) And then either set aside that amount in reserves plus extra for vacancies up front or budget for them on a monthly basis. Not factoring in these items in your analysis "hides" your actual return as these expenses will come up eventually.

    Also the benefit of scaling your portfolio, as it looks like you are doing is that it makes these expenses more predictable. Alot harder to know exactly when a single roof will fail, but if you have 30 properties you'll start to see these expenses with a level of regularity that makes it easier to budget for.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @John Brodeur:

    @Lesley Resnick, this works very well in an up market. Rent increases, and appreciation happening year over year. What ends up making this strategy riskier is if there is an overall market downturn, or a slide in rental price increases, or decreases is rent (ask folks who bought in Detriot in 1999 what happened in 2008 to 2010). What happens at this time is if you have major cap ex happen at a time that coincides with a downturn your working capital might dry up. This is why lenders, professional investors, and folks underwriting deal preach having reserves. There are creative ways to make those reserves work for you, but they act as an insurance policy for major expenses. And ideally you run the numbers of what these major expenses are likely to be (roof life expectancy, major systems, hvac, plumbing, siding, brick maintenance etc.) And then either set aside that amount in reserves plus extra for vacancies up front or budget for them on a monthly basis. Not factoring in these items in your analysis "hides" your actual return as these expenses will come up eventually.

    Also the benefit of scaling your portfolio, as it looks like you are doing is that it makes these expenses more predictable. Alot harder to know exactly when a single roof will fail, but if you have 30 properties you'll start to see these expenses with a level of regularity that makes it easier to budget for.

    Detroit is a bad example for this question. It's a great example for REI's not analyzing markets correctly, rationalizing their weak analysis, and then chasing that "shiny object of distraction". Not the same thing as what this discussion is based on.

  • Sam YinPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 584 posts · 738 votes
    4y

    @Michael Ablan well said, DITTO. some people make it work for a while, but eventually, a major capex comes along. I use SFR as a seed to grow into multifamily, where the unit numbers can help absorb costs.

    But, back to the main question, NO, it's not a myth. The ability to meet those standards are TOTALLY based on underwriting. It should happen immediately at COE if your goal is to hit that 200-300 cash flow. If the underwriting doesn't show it will happen, then dont buy it. Go look for another.

    For those that say it's not possible because they tried and have had to settle for less, it's because they settle for less. If your goal is to get a certain reasonable outcome, then hunt for it.

    However, with that said, there is nothing wrong with getting less. There is more to REI than just cash flow alone. Some do not want to invest in speculation, but I think every investor has to make that judgement call based on their own knowledge and experience.

    I just feel there are too many properties out there that can meet those numbers. It just people are not opening up their search area.

  • Investor · Philadelphia Metro · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 75 votes
    4y

    @Joe Villeneuve , I used Detroit as a decline in rents. Agree that Detroit is a unique case that has a ton of other factors at play.

    I was simply using the example that the spreadsheet math often works within the context that many BP investors have seen (myself included in my REI investing journey). If you've bought within the last 12 years you have likely only seen increasing rents and appreciation. Increasing rents and appreciation can paper over risky strategies like not carrying enough reserves to cover major expected expenses.

    I agree that many poorly capitalized firms end up going out of business when credit dries up, their working capital suffers a short term decline, and they don't have enough cash to weather the storm.

    When the tide goes out many will be stranded or caught without their swim trunks at least. Lol

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Dan Hertler:

    @William Walker Just curious, what do you run your capex reserves at? For my houses, I run about $75/month for capex in my model, which is usually around 6 to 7% of gross rent (usually in the $1200-1300 range in my area).

    SFR cash-flow isn't a myth but cash-flow with a PM is. Funny how your cap ex % is roughly the cost of a volume discount PM. Mine is 8.25%, no fill or renew fees.

    Half my portfolio is managed.  I waited until I was full preservation stage and glad I did.  I swear their job is to touch your property every week.  No service call triage, just send someone over.   

    Wealth in SFR isn't the skinny cash-flow as you know. The cash-flow is lunch money. Equity capture and appreciation are 15x. If you're breaking even with a PM in the sfr space, consider yourself lucky.

  • Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    @Bill Brandt where is this magical land where no natural disasters exist?! I’m guessing by your mention of stucco and tile, somewhere out in the desert?

    I agree with your assessment and it’s a mindset shift for me. Long-term, everything will likely be fine, just a painful pill to swallow after only owning for 1 year and believing I had more time on this particular HVAC

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Lesley Resnick Has some great points and an outside-the-box look at this. I agree, generally speaking.

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    4y

    @Dan Hertler If you're constantly getting hit with "time bombs" you need to reconsider your due diligence and underwriting. 

    I understand the question but this is a silly example. How can you buy a property without knowing the age of the HVAC? If the age of the HVAC is near the end of its useful life you need to budget for this when you underwrite. You can either assume higher reserves for years 1-3 (or until the HVAC goes), adjust the purchase price or receive seller credit. Of course surprises will always come, but you can limit the damage. 

  • Rental Property Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    We should all be hoarding cash and building a war chest.  25k to cover 5 properties.  Roof or furnace failure makes me squirm a bit but a cash reserve helps me sleep at night.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Pottschmidt:

    We should all be hoarding cash and building a war chest.  25k to cover 5 properties.  Roof or furnace failure makes me squirm a bit but a cash reserve helps me sleep at night.  

     Hoarding cash and keeping it where?

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    This is exactly why so many investors are turning to short term rentals. The capex expenses are basically the same, but your cashflow can be substantially better. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Dan Hertler I will only invest in LTRs in a place where there is good reason to believe that rents will increase over time and property values will rise. If you lock in your costs in a market where rents will rise you will be golden. My $.02

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 108 votes
    4y

    @Dan Hertler Here for the discussion. But I did liquidate my SFRs recently for this very reason.

  • Contractor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2021 · 64 posts · 57 votes
    4y

    @Account Closed, determining when you will break even should be a metric every investor keeps an eye on. If F500 are basing investment decisions of off it, I should too.

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Zee Abbas:

    @Account Closed United definitely does the calculation to determine when their plane purchase will pay out- in fact payout time is likely one of their top driving metrics these days due to airlines being cash poor. I agree with @Joe Villeneuve, determining when you will break even should be a metric every investor keeps an eye on. If F500 are basing investment decisions of off it, I should too.

    Joe completely ignores the concept of a balance sheet. The cost of an airplane is accounted for by depreciating it over its lifetime. And it maintains value on the balance sheet until it depreciates to zero (after which it still has actual residual value). But yes, payback period is considered by business for any investment and I stated that myself.

    Any business runs on profit/loss income statement (very important) but also balance sheet (assets/liabilities). In Joes model, there is infinite leverage and therefore unlimited liability. The house is always an asset on your balance sheet and can be converted to its cash value by sale. So it is not as useless as Joe would have you believe. Companies also use strong balance sheets to raise debt and equity and acquisitions. 

  • Rental Property Investor · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 543 votes
    4y

    you have to be actually making $500+ cash flow just to break even when disasters hit, with vacancy, turnover costs, eviction, huge capex cost.   Even if you took account for all these factors, one major bad tenant can wipe your "cash flow" away.

    I made money on every single real estate deal (nearly all SFR) in the last 9 years in more than 10 properties.

    #1 due to appreciation - which last 10 years was the greatest appreciation anyone has ever seen in REI (am I wrong?)

    #2 Switching to Airbnb/STR - but this is a PURELY active business, NOT passive at all.

    Biggest myths

    #1 Cash flow matters most or appreciation is not important. Cash flow only matters to keep you afloat before you sell the property (unless you do furnished rental or airbnb or hugely successful at the BRRRR method).

    #2 REI is passive....haha what a joke. You can only make real money if you have like 5+ doors or doing a much more active -"add value" plays like BRRR, airbnb/STR, add wholesaling. All of that takes a TON of work and commitment. Nothing is for free.

    Real MONEY is made in VOLUME (scale) or add-value plays.    Or you get lucky and buy during the BEST appreciating markets in the history of real estate.    

    Better to be lucky than good as they say!

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    Joe completely ignores the concept of a balance sheet. The cost of an airplane is accounted for by depreciating it over its lifetime. And it maintains value on the balance sheet until it depreciates to zero (after which it still has actual residual value). But yes, payback period is considered by business for any investment and I stated that myself.

    Any business runs on profit/loss income statement (very important) but also balance sheet (assets/liabilities). In Joes model, there is infinite leverage and therefore unlimited liability. The house is always an asset on your balance sheet and can be converted to its cash value by sale. So it is not as useless as Joe would have you believe. Companies also use strong balance sheets to raise debt and equity and acquisitions. 

    I'm not ignoring the balance sheet.  I'm putting it all in the proper perspective.  I'm taking that balance sheet, and applying it to the real world to show how there is a difference between the accounting world and the real world.  I let the accountants live in the world of forms and paper wins and loses.  You can rationalize wins any way you want and make it all seem as though you are successful because your "balance sheet" says you are, and end up out of business because the real world says you can't stay in business because you can't pay your bills.  If you can't stay in business, that "paper" profit you say I'm ignoring will disappear as if it never existed.

    I've never said there was infinite leverage. I've made mention many times that my examples are not meant to show that the success is based on actually having as many loans as I show when the compounding effect takes over. Those examples are to show how achieving an exponential return instead of a linear return is better. Try focusing on the growth in dollars rather than the growth in number of properties. I've stated many times I'm not suggesting a REI should have 100 loans out. How about just changing from SFH to MFH, or commercial, or any other REI where the increase in dollars buys you a property with larger RE value...not larger number of properties.

  • Dallas · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    All I can say is that is a real question, as an economics major, I thought long and hard about this and actually maintained a small portfolio of rentals myself in IN and MS. (SFRs) In the end, I chose to go with note investing. Those margins are too slippery for me, but they are real and doable. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento Metropolitan Area · Member since 2022 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Dan Hertler the podcast shows repeatedly talk about fixing those kinds of things from the beginning, otherwise something will always be breaking down and a 5k HVAC sets your cash flow back for a long time.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y
    CAPEX doesn't care what percentage you allocated or how long you have owned the property. CAPEX doesn't occur on a predictable schedule.

    What I have observed over time is that CAPEX is unpredictable. You can have one AC unit that lasts 12 years and another lasts 40 years. You can have one property that goes ten years without any major expenses and another can incur multiple within a two year period. 

    Many factors determine CAPEX, but here are three major ones:
    1. Age/condition of major items when you acquire. If you buy an old property that hasn't been updated, expect more capital expenditures.
    2. Owner preventative maintenance. If you are not properly maintaining the property, things will fail faster. 
    3. Tenant quality and care of property. If you have C or D class tenants, they will be harder on the property than A or B class tenants. The is the fallacy of buying cheap houses that cash flow. Your expense ratio is higher than buying A class houses with lower cash flow.

    At some point you will reach a statistical average cost, but it will take way more than 8 properties. Keep in mind that many properties are acquired with deferred updates. The first thing I do when I purchase a property is fix everything that is broken. That often requires replacing or updating some items like outlets, faucets, have furnace cleaned, clean AC coils, new appliances, paint the property, etc. I incur these costs day one, so that the property is in better condition while I own it. You would probably need 50 or 100 houses before you reached a more stable statistical CAPEX number.

    Another caution on the analysis side is make sure you are setting the right expectations. In your analysis, you are expecting a 25 year item (HVAC) to be paid for in one year of CAPEX reserves. You paid $6000 and over 25 years that works out to $20 a month. The point is, you are accruing for CAPEX and without seed money in the fund, of course you will not enough to cover early year capital expenses. Your CAPEX account may go negative before it goes positive. Look at the average across all properties. I can also assure you that two HVAC failing this year, doesn't mean two next year. It could be zero or it could be six. 

    The problem is not that cash flow is a myth, but rather an issue with how you are allocating CAPEX. We have learned over time to acquire quality assets to reduce expenses.  
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Julian Wyer:

    @Dan Hertler the podcast shows repeatedly talk about fixing those kinds of things from the beginning, otherwise something will always be breaking down and a 5k HVAC sets your cash flow back for a long time.

    You have to be a little careful with this strategy. I have had inspectors tell me that my 30 year old HVAC is at the end of life when I buy a property. Some would recommend replacing it proactively, but why incur an expense if something is working? I have had roofs, water heaters and HVAC last 40 years, so why rip them out at year 25 or 30? I could be giving up as much as 25% of the remaining life. I actually have more repair calls for newer HVAC than I do for older units. That is due to complexity of newer systems introduced by efficiency and safety enhancements. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    If I could find a TRUE cash flowing property in my market that cash flows $200/month after all expenses and reserves I would sell my car, wedding ring, cash in my children's 529s, sell one of my kidneys and buy everything I could. 

    With a 20% down payment conventional at 20yr am I can barely break even with just PITI right now. (In my market).

    To answer the actual question though, I don't think it's a myth at all. You have to factor it over the course of a LONG time. 20 years or so. For example, I have one property that I have owned for 4 years and have had zero vacancy, zero repairs, zero cap ex....but those expenses WILL come at some point. I have also owned one for 7 years that has had zero vacancy and a total of $1500 in repairs. You front loaded your capex expenses to the first year of ownership, the same way in my two examples my capex is on the back end. So when you average it out over the course of a long time, it balances out. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Knightdale, NC · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    So this has steam rolled a bit. Final note from me I BRRRR and have a property manager. One of my homes which used to be a marital house brings in just over $100 a month when it's all said done but has tax incentives which makes it still a viable keep. However this along with the remainder of my properties have extensive equity and cash flow or both. So the overall average is significantly high. And as for vacancies I haven't had any but I've had one repair to a backed up toilet from the total of my portfolio. So location, price point of acquisition , property management, quality of renovation( bulletproofing) and not getting caught up on what people think are market rents keeps your places full. To each their own but in my case I listen and if it can be applied to make my portfolio more efficient I'm in. However this isn't the case with this. Don't get caught up in the noise your variables are what dictates your lane.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.