Hold or Sell Rental

Hold or Sell Rental

Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP Fam,

My lady and I own a rental in Moreno Valley, CA that we are in a dilemma of hold or sell - and I am hoping for some guidance or insight!

We currently owe $266k on the loan and the property is worth between $460k - $480k. It was built in 1980 and will need a new roof in the coming years. The monthly payment is $1,600 at 4.5% interest.

The property has been rented for two years, and before that, it was our primary home for many years. As such, we could benefit from the capital gains exception if we sell.

While it’s been rented for the past few years, it hasn’t been profitable because we had some large repairs to make (A/C change out, plumbing issues, etc.) that ate up everything we earned.

Since I am in the process of re-marketing for new tenants, I'm going to increase rent to market rent at $2,500 a month, which will provide a cash flow of $700 with Property Management (no including CAP EX, etc.).

My question to you all, do you continue renting and take the $700 with the expectation of future repairs, or take the $170k in profit and re-invest elsewhere?

1Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
3y

Sometimes it's better to stick with a property you know, verus jumping into an unknown.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    3y

    Even in today's market, you should be able to buy an out of state multifamily for 650k that would produce a lot more than $700/mo in cash flow.  Having said that, I have no idea what the appreciation might be between the two...

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Chris John thank you for your input and advice!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Can you buy a place elsewhere that will give you the same return or another investment that will do the same?  If you buy another place, you will have the same cap gains (ie hold on to your current place and pay cap gains or pay cap gains when you see the new rental).

    Does the $1600 include all of your expenses (property taxes, etc)?  With PM, your return will be less than $700 a month.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 236 votes
    3y

    What payment will you have on a new property? Plus you will pay real estate Commision so you will lose some money there.

    Look around first and see what you could buy and what it will cost u

    I would hold, you wont find a mortgage like that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Theresa Harris yes, $1,600 covers PITI and our PM only charges $99 per month for their services.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Mary Jay thank you! I too agree I won’t find a mortgage like that. I’ve been really bouncing back and forth with calculating the return on equity.

    In order to obtain $200k in monthly cash flow, to meet the amount of equity currently in the property, it will take me 24 years at $700 per month to obtain that.

    That return on equity calculation doesn’t take into consideration any issues that arise for repairs and maintenance - which extends it out even further.

    Just not certain that’s the right way to look at it

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Sell the snails and buy top performers. Look at your portfolio from a objective view point and trade up. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Eliott Elias I love that saying! Thank you so much!

  • Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    As a basis I look to generate $1000 minimum per month of pure cash flow (after cap ex / prop mgmt) for $100k cash invested into properties. 

    This coupled with a market that has better than average historic and projected appreciation rate. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    BAsed on your numbers for cash flow, they tell me you had negative CF up until now...which means you should have sold it long ago.  All that negative CF is adding to your cost, and subtracting from your assumed profit.  Sell as fast as you can.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Sometimes it's better to stick with a property you know, verus jumping into an unknown.

  • Westchester, NY · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Jarrid Weber congratulations on having options!

    I think a lot depends on what is your goal - getting cash flow or growing equity? It seems like on the cash flow side, this property has a low return as you've seen. But if you're more focused on gaining long-term wealth, then as long as the property gives you some cash flow, you may prefer to enjoy the equity growth. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I stopped reading when I saw this property is in CA. That's all the info needed. Yes, sell and move everything you have out of that state. 

  • Wayne YahnkePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · California, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    I would drill down on this a little further. You have a good cash-flowing asset with a decent interest rate. If you start saving your cap-ex now you have some money set up for the roof in the next few years. On the flip side if you can drill down on exactly how much you can pull out of this property after a sale then you can have a better idea for reinvesting. Let's say you end up with $150k I have deals right now that would bring in cash flow and 8-12% cash on cash return in year one out of state. Either way good luck. Happy to discuss this further. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jarrid Weber:


    My lady and I own a rental in a dilemma of hold or sell - and I am hoping for some guidance or insight!

    We currently owe $266k on the loan and the property is worth between $460k - $480k. It was built in 1980 and will need a new roof in the coming years. The monthly payment is $1,600 at 4.5% interest.

    The property has been rented for two years, and before that, it was our primary home for many years. As such, we could benefit from the capital gains exception if we sell.

    While it’s been rented for the past few years, it hasn’t been profitable because we had some large repairs to make (A/C change out, plumbing issues, etc.) that ate up everything we earned....   with Property Management

    My question to you all, do you continue renting and take the $700 with the expectation of future repairs, or take the $170k in profit and re-invest elsewhere?

    Partnership risk ("my lady"= TIC?), PM risk (many are mediocre to bad) and capital gain exclusion deadline point me to sell.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Steve Vaughan thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Wayne Yahnke we are definitely saving for capital expenditures, so I’m not concerned whether we can cover the cost.

    I’m more so concerned whether the returns are worth continuing to invest into.

    Also, I’d love to hear more about your investments and opportunities.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Luka Milicevic agreed! We have been contemplating Texas, Utah or Tennessee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Len P. Thank you! We are more focused on cash flow, with a goal of getting to $3k per month in pure cash flow.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Drew Sygit agreed, and that’s why I’m so hesitant! If we sell, I am not certain what’s on the other side for deals, properties, etc.

    The unknown calculated risk is the big question!

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Joe Villeneuve thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    @Vicente Terán that has been our goal to meet a 10% CoC return as well, however, we haven't been able to find any deals like that.

    Do you solely invest in AZ?

  • Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Hello! Yes purely in AZ… these deals are possible on the MLS… most require conversions to add bedrooms and baths… if you permit the work then you also increase your ARV


    Quote from @Jarrid Weber:

    @Vicente Terán that has been our goal to meet a 10% CoC return as well, however, we haven't been able to find any deals like that.

    Do you solely invest in AZ?


  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Jarrid Weber

    As Len P. said, it depends on your goal - getting cash flow or growing equity? I'm in the Bay Area and I tend to lean towards if you have a California property with a low interest mortgage or no mortgage (in the case of someone who has owned a property for a very long time) to keep it. I have a SFH with a low property tax basis and fairly low mortgage. I could have sold and taken the proceeds and bought many properties out-of-state. I chose to keep it and rent it out because I would never be able to be get a house like that again in the Bay Area. I'm keeping it because of the growing equity and also my kids could inherit the home and chose to live in it for the future (or continue renting it out).

    The price points are really high in the Bay Area and surrounding Northern California area and the price to rent ratios aren't good so I'm a little more focused on getting cash flow now. I took some of that equity out (cash out refi when rates were lower) and am buying out-of-state. I'm closing tomorrow on another property in the Indianapolis metro area. Good luck!

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    When it comes to Real Estate investing, the key is trading up. Look at your portfolio objectively and if you've got underperforming properties, consider selling them off. Invest in top-performing Real Estate opportunities and watch your returns grow! Don't be afraid to buy snails; just make sure you trade up for better performers so you can maximize your profits.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.