Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Matthews
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Thoughts about buying a Tesla Powerwall (standalone) for a rental house?

Calvin Matthews
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Mar 21 2023, 01:16

Hi everyone, I'd like all TX investor's opinion about getting a Powerwall for back-up electricity.

Quick info about mine and my wife's home: 4 bedroom/2 1/2 bathroom 2 story house in New Braunfels that we have as our second home but are currently renting out, within an HOA.

I recently heard that Tesla is now selling the Powerwall (back up battery) without solar, meaning this can be purchased as a standalone product and I'm really interested in buying one for our house. Reasons why:

1- We don't need to buy a full-on solar system with panels.

2- To my knowledge TX weather can be extreme in both hot and cold weather and I'm concerned about power outages. This will help with keeping the electricity on in case of power outages.

3- Tax rebate potential. (Tesla shows "potential incentives" of $2,988 on the website though if anyone knows of definite incentives then I'm very curious)

4- Tesla Electric, which allows for selling electricity at peak prices and earning credits that can be redeemed for cash (basically a passive money printer that will go towards paying for the Powerwall). At the moment it's only available in Houston/Dallas according to this page https://www.tesla.com/support/... but I assume eventually it'll open to the area that our house is in.

Does anyone currently own a Powerwall, and even better is enrolled in Tesla Electric and selling back energy from their Powerwall? What's your experience like? If anyone has any input about why this wouldn't be worth it for the money (purchase price without taxes/installation/incentives is $9,200) then I'd like to know.

Thanks for reading!