Chicago ADU - Initial Design

Chicago ADU - Initial Design

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi All,

In 2021 I purchased a 3-unit building in Lincoln Square that sits in an ADU pilot area. As I'm sure most have realized, with a maximum 700 SF for a coach house, the potential rent vs cost does not work out for most. I did a deep dive the other day and think I came up with a more viable design for my situation. I have experience with renovating but not with new construction so hoping someone with more experience could weigh in a bit.

Property: zoned RS3, 100 years old, with a lot size of 35x160. Approximately 75 feet from rear of main building to rear property line. Currently large 3 car garage in rear.

Design: 

-First I would demolish the garage and replace it with a parking pad. Meeting the requirement not to remove existing parking but also removing the garage from the 60% accessory limit. (I think).

-Build a 1-story coach house that 1) includes a finished basement and 2) maxes out the 22 foot tall limit. I don't believe basements are included in living square feet. Down the line I could, off the record, build out a second story as the building should have adequate interior height if the full 22 feet are used...

This could result in a much larger unit, maybe ~1,900 SF. I think this would be a great alternative to a single-family home and demand top rent. Potential ~4,000 rent vs ~275,000 cost. I'm sure a building like this was not what was originally thought of for the ADU program, but I believe it meets the requirements. Does anyone with more experience think this idea is in the realm of possibility to be approved by the city?

Thanks!

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
  • Contractor · Indianapolis · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    How many ADU's can you build on the property in this pilot program? Here in Indianapolis, there are situations the city allows the property to have units "stacked" street to alley or back to back to back with courtyard spaces between each.

    We also have situations we build additions with a 2 story “breeze way” that falls under the house development standards, but can act as a separate unit from attached carriage house above the garage. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.