Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2024 · 28 posts · 15 votes
Hey everyone,
I’m considering investing in the Los Angeles market and looking at a 4-unit multifamily property that's already tenant-occupied.
I know LA is incredibly diverse, with some great neighborhoods and some that are more challenging. I’ve already pulled data based on the ZIP code (demographics, crime, rent trends, etc.), but I don’t want to base my entire decision just on that.
For those of you experienced with LA or multifamily investments in general:
What other strategies do you use to make sure you're not walking into a money pit or dealing with bad tenants from the start?
Do you request leases or payment histories before closing?
How do you evaluate tenant quality when it's an occupied property?
Any red flags you look for when it comes to older buildings in LA?
Appreciate any insights or tools you use to dig deeper beyond surface-level data. Thanks in advance!
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
@Arshiya Taami Your best bet is to go work with a local multifamily realtor/broker in Los Angeles who is also a local investor themselves and owns multifamily in Los Angeles, that's really the best person that can help you. Same goes for any major market, especially ones on the coast that are not very well understood such as San Francisco, San Diego, etc. Best of luck!
I’m considering investing in the Los Angeles market and looking at a 4-unit multifamily property that's already tenant-occupied.
I know LA is incredibly diverse, with some great neighborhoods and some that are more challenging. I’ve already pulled data based on the ZIP code (demographics, crime, rent trends, etc.), but I don’t want to base my entire decision just on that.
For those of you experienced with LA or multifamily investments in general:
What other strategies do you use to make sure you're not walking into a money pit or dealing with bad tenants from the start?
Do you request leases or payment histories before closing?
How do you evaluate tenant quality when it's an occupied property?
Any red flags you look for when it comes to older buildings in LA?
Appreciate any insights or tools you use to dig deeper beyond surface-level data. Thanks in advance!
Hey @Arshiya Taami! What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"?
I’m considering investing in the Los Angeles market and looking at a 4-unit multifamily property that's already tenant-occupied.
I know LA is incredibly diverse, with some great neighborhoods and some that are more challenging. I’ve already pulled data based on the ZIP code (demographics, crime, rent trends, etc.), but I don’t want to base my entire decision just on that.
For those of you experienced with LA or multifamily investments in general:
What other strategies do you use to make sure you're not walking into a money pit or dealing with bad tenants from the start?
Do you request leases or payment histories before closing?
How do you evaluate tenant quality when it's an occupied property?
Any red flags you look for when it comes to older buildings in LA?
Appreciate any insights or tools you use to dig deeper beyond surface-level data. Thanks in advance!
Hi there Arshiya,
Investing in a tenant-occupied multifamily property in Los Angeles requires a layered due diligence approach, especially in such a nuanced and highly regulated market. Beyond ZIP code stats, one of the most important steps is to request and thoroughly review existing leases, tenant ledgers, and rent rolls. You want to confirm the rent amounts, security deposits held, lease terms (especially if they’re under rent control), and tenant payment histories. Consistent late payments, informal agreements, or missing documentation can all be red flags. LA is known for strong tenant protections, so verify compliance with local laws like RSO (Rent Stabilization Ordinance), which may limit rent increases or evictions. You should also ask for estoppel certificates signed by tenants, which confirm lease terms and prevent disputes later. For older buildings, watch out for deferred maintenance, plumbing or electrical that's out of code, and unpermitted additions. Consider hiring an inspector experienced with LA multifamily who can flag seismic retrofit needs, foundation issues, and aging systems that could become major capital expenses. Finally, speak to neighbors and current tenants if possible—they can give insight into the culture of the building and any ongoing disputes or concerns. Combining deep document review with physical and regulatory due diligence will help you avoid unpleasant surprises and assess whether the building supports your investment goals.
Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
@Arshiya Taami Your best bet is to go work with a local multifamily realtor/broker in Los Angeles who is also a local investor themselves and owns multifamily in Los Angeles, that's really the best person that can help you. Same goes for any major market, especially ones on the coast that are not very well understood such as San Francisco, San Diego, etc. Best of luck!
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
@Jeffrey Isenberg is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to analyzing his niche of 2-4 unit properties in LA. You should go to one of his meetups or at least reach out.
Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
So there is so much more to say than what could be typed so here are some high level things to consider:
1. Yes, you need to see the rent rolls, leases, etc. prior to closing. You cannot close without it. Especially because you are inheriting it. A great example is a fourplex I own (out of state) where the late fee is $25. It's a joke but I have to live with it until the lease is up. For my rental here, I have a solid lease in place.
2. Tenant quality is subjective. Some say that as long as they pay they are good quality. You can tell a lot about a tenant when you walk through a unit. How clean they are, etc. is generally a sign of what's to come.
3. In terms of red flags, you can go on Zimas and check out permit history for a building. Although it is common to do work without permits, it gives you a snapshot of any work that might have been completed recently. Otherwise, it's really no different than looking at a house (roof, plumbing, electrical, etc.). Another red flag I have been seeing in rental properties (in general) is some don't even have leases. Because of the way Los Angeles is, it puts you in a rough position should you ever need to evict. I would also ask for utility bills for anything you have to pay. You don't want to underbudget for things like water.
Reviewing the leases is super important but also making sure they are enforced. I'm dealing with this issue now on one of my fourplexes (out of state different than the one mentioned above) where the old PM and owner never enforced parts of the lease and now that I am (because I inherited the lease), the tenants are in uproar about it.