Driving Park neighborhood question

Driving Park neighborhood question

Tove FoxPro Member
Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 13 votes

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at a property in the Driving Park area between Livingston and Whittier, north of the Southside.  When I walked it, the empty property looked well taken care of, but when a contractor arrived to walk the property this morning, it was surrounded by police officers.  The cops said it was due to a teenager climbing in through an open window and was eating donuts in the kitchen.  Does this sound right?? Where I'm from police would not surround a property for something so minor.  Can anyone share thoughts of the area?  I know it's on the border, but seems close enough to the hospital and other areas, that it seems fine to me, especially it seeming to be a nice property itself. 

Thanks for any input!

2Reply
129 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 927 votes
    11mo

    @Tove Fox

    Driving Park has been improving over the past few years, especially the sections closer to Nationwide Children’s Hospital and Livingston Ave, but it’s still very block-by-block, so it’s smart you’re digging into the details. What you experienced with police isn’t too unusual in transitional areas, sometimes they respond heavily to trespassing or break-ins even if it turns out minor. Many investors I know have found great deals there by targeting streets with active rehabs and owner-occupied homes nearby, since appreciation potential is strong as redevelopment spreads east. If you run the numbers right and keep good security measures in place, properties in that pocket can perform really well.

  • Tove FoxPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 13 votes
    11mo
    Thank you for this information! It is really helpful.
  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Tove Fox:

    Hi everyone,

    I am currently looking at a property in the Driving Park area between Livingston and Whittier, north of the Southside.  When I walked it, the empty property looked well taken care of, but when a contractor arrived to walk the property this morning, it was surrounded by police officers.  The cops said it was due to a teenager climbing in through an open window and was eating donuts in the kitchen.  Does this sound right?? Where I'm from police would not surround a property for something so minor.  Can anyone share thoughts of the area?  I know it's on the border, but seems close enough to the hospital and other areas, that it seems fine to me, especially it seeming to be a nice property itself. 

    Thanks for any input!

    Not uncommon in that area, to be honest. But as an investor, you did the right thing by reaching out and asking questions. My advice is, this is nothing too scary to back out of the deal if the deal makes sense
    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9mo

    Driving Park is an up-and-coming area! Like many of the neighborhoods closer to downtown, it can be block-to-block. General outlook - when investing close to the city, you will have to deal with city stuff. As long as you are monitoring the area and monitoring the details closely (which it seems like you are) you should be ok!

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9mo

    I own a rental just off Whittier and it’s in a quiet pocket but the area varies street by street. It’s definitely improved over the years. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.