Question About Screening Traveling Nurses & Their Spouses

Question About Screening Traveling Nurses & Their Spouses

Hamidou KeitaPro Member
Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes

Hi everyone,

I’ve been getting more inquiries from traveling nurses, and several experienced landlords told me that I don’t need to heavily screen the nurse themselves because they’re already thoroughly vetted by their employer and staffing agency. They mentioned that the employment contract and assignment letter are usually enough.

My question is about situations where the traveling nurse is accompanied by a spouse or partner who is not a healthcare worker and works remotely (or has other income sources).

Do you screen the spouse separately?
For example:

  • Do you run a background/credit check on the spouse only?
  • Or do you treat the couple as one application and screen both?
  • Do you rely solely on the nurse’s contract letter and income, or verify the spouse’s income/employment as well?

I’d love to hear how other landlords handle this scenario to stay fair but also protect their property.

Thanks in advance!

Hamidou

1Reply
63 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ricardo R.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 663 posts · 581 votes
    10mo

    Hamidou, this is a really common situation with MTRs, and honestly, a lot of people oversimplify it with that “you don’t need to screen nurses” advice.

    Yes, the nurse is usually solid — they’re background-checked by the hospital, the staffing agency, and sometimes even the vendor management system. But the spouse/partner isn’t screened by anyone, and that is where most landlords get burned.

    Here’s how most experienced MTR owners handle it, and what I’ve seen work best:

    Screen them as a household, not just the nurse.
    If two adults are living in your property, they’re both legally responsible for rent and for whatever happens inside the unit. Treating them as “one applicant” without running both names is how you accidentally inherit someone with a surprise eviction, bad credit, or a criminal record.

    Run a full check on both — background + credit.
    Even if the spouse isn’t the income source, you still want to know who’s living there. Hospitals don’t vet spouses, and every horror story I’ve seen with travel nurse rentals has come from the non-nurse half of the household.

    Income can come from either, but verify it.
    Some landlords rely entirely on the nurse’s contract letter — and that’s fine if they’re the sole payer.
    But if the spouse is contributing or working remotely, verify their income the same way you normally would.

    Bottom line:
    Screen both adults.
    Base income approval on whoever is actually paying the rent.
    Use the nurse’s assignment letter as proof of stability, not as a free pass for the spouse.

    It keeps things fair, consistent, and avoids the “I wish I would’ve screened the partner” headache that way too many landlords talk about. Hamidou, I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you a DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you in advance. 

    • Hamidou KeitaPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Ricardo R.:

      Hamidou, this is a really common situation with MTRs, and honestly, a lot of people oversimplify it with that “you don’t need to screen nurses” advice.

      Yes, the nurse is usually solid — they’re background-checked by the hospital, the staffing agency, and sometimes even the vendor management system. But the spouse/partner isn’t screened by anyone, and that is where most landlords get burned.

      Here’s how most experienced MTR owners handle it, and what I’ve seen work best:

      Screen them as a household, not just the nurse.
      If two adults are living in your property, they’re both legally responsible for rent and for whatever happens inside the unit. Treating them as “one applicant” without running both names is how you accidentally inherit someone with a surprise eviction, bad credit, or a criminal record.

      Run a full check on both — background + credit.
      Even if the spouse isn’t the income source, you still want to know who’s living there. Hospitals don’t vet spouses, and every horror story I’ve seen with travel nurse rentals has come from the non-nurse half of the household.

      Income can come from either, but verify it.
      Some landlords rely entirely on the nurse’s contract letter — and that’s fine if they’re the sole payer.
      But if the spouse is contributing or working remotely, verify their income the same way you normally would.

      Bottom line:
      Screen both adults.
      Base income approval on whoever is actually paying the rent.
      Use the nurse’s assignment letter as proof of stability, not as a free pass for the spouse.

      It keeps things fair, consistent, and avoids the “I wish I would’ve screened the partner” headache that way too many landlords talk about. Hamidou, I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you a DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you in advance. 


       Thank you, will check it out

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.