Preparing for More Deals Without Burning Out

Preparing for More Deals Without Burning Out

Member since 2025 · 111 posts · 56 votes

Scaling sounds great—until everything becomes urgent.

For investors doing multiple deals a year, what helped you stay organized and avoid burnout?

1Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9mo

One year I bought 39 properties, while having a full time job not in real estate.  I was too busy to get burned out.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Saddle Brook, NJ · Member since 2023 · 431 posts · 231 votes
    9mo

    Having a different job/doing something else. Simplest way. 

    I find if I am looking at deals all day every day, then I may feel obligated to do a deal, even if it may not make the most sense. Just pulling back from it, a little, helps me recoup and get into a better mindset. 

    This, however, was the first year (hopefully of many) that I did multiple investment deals, so I do not have much experience in this matter haha.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    I have always worked a full time job while investing. The biggest mistake was buying to many properties at a time. Very stressful while only having so much time available.

    2-3 projects a year for one investor is plenty and can be handled. The difficulty is when the deal or deals come your way, you need to jump on them.

    A steady pace is best for clear thinking, running numbers and having a moderate stress level without over stressing.

    That has been my experience.

    Best of Luck.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    OP take the deals as they come even with the stress.

    Pick items that are low risk and high effort and farm out. To reduce the stress bubble. Don't know your REI strategy so these might not apply.

    If you normally like to gut.  Get someone else.  Just make sure to mark what gets gutted.  And mark what doesn’t get touched.

    If you do your own lawn care.   Hire it out for a year or two.   Till your bubble goes down.

    I understand the stress.  Most projects I take on will last 2 years.  So I do have to make sure I’m ready for it.  

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hi Michael,

    I agree with @Ryan Muska. When burnout comes from an unmanageable workload, the solution often starts with lightening the mental load. That can mean creating some separation from deals day-to-day, whether it’s spending time on something you enjoy or simply not being “in deals” 24/7 so you’re not forcing decisions.

    Taking it a step further, putting systems in place is key. You’re running a business, so treat it like one. Repeatable workflows, templates, and processes help reduce urgency and decision fatigue. Scaling is great, but scaling efficiently and intentionally is what keeps it sustainable.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo

    One year I bought 39 properties, while having a full time job not in real estate.  I was too busy to get burned out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.