Potential 1031 exchange into TX or OK market.

Potential 1031 exchange into TX or OK market.

Investor · Keller, TX · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 62 votes

Maybe locals can give me some insight. I moved to Fort Worth in 2024. Looking to potentially 1031 exchange from FL into something driving distance (up to 4 hours) from me now. Ive been looking north at OKC and East towards Texarkana. Im looking to buy a 4-10 unit. I know TX has high property taxes and from what I heard, higher insurance costs but I believe OK is the same way. OK has state income tax where TX does not although the multifamily itself may cost less. Can anyone make some recommendations for more areas to look into.

1Reply
78 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rhett TullisBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 617 votes
    7mo

    happy to chat about okc if you still need some info.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 931 votes
    7mo

    @John B.

    Smart move thinking within driving distance, but for a 1031 into a 4–10 unit the bigger drivers than state taxes are real NOI, insurance, tenant demand, and resale strength when you recycle capital. Many Midwest markets are attractive right now because lower purchase prices combined with stable rents can produce stronger day-one cash flow and less dependence on appreciation, which tends to fit 1031 goals better than higher-cost Sunbelt plays. I'd focus on comparing true cap rates and operating costs across a few submarkets to see where the numbers genuinely hold up long term.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.