Real Estate Consultant · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 114 posts · 44 votes
Hey BP,
This is for my land developers or new construction builders. Would prefer to purchase land lots with a permit and drawings already approved or would you prefer to start from the beginning of the process with your own idea and plans?
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
6mo
Echoing what has been said above. When I see deals come across with approved plans already, I see it as a potential red flag. Why hasn't the owner built them? You can find money for good deals.
Replatting adds value given the area, but approved plans, not so much unless the numbers actually work with the accurate comps.
I'm a central Houston Builder/Developer, Investor and Realtor. Reach out in messages with any other specific questions.
Real Estate Consultant · Houston TX · Member since 2021 · 122 posts · 92 votes
6mo
Hey Ron,
That has a couple of answers. The plot matters i.e. is it already plotted for what I want to build or will I have to rezone/replot to build what I want to build. Shovel ready is a great shortcut to development but it requires the numbers still making sense. i.e. if its approved for a 2.5mil home in an area with max comps at 1mil, then its basically a shovel ready with no real value for the work already done.
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 135 posts · 84 votes
6mo
Echoing what has been said above. When I see deals come across with approved plans already, I see it as a potential red flag. Why hasn't the owner built them? You can find money for good deals.
Replatting adds value given the area, but approved plans, not so much unless the numbers actually work with the accurate comps.
I'm a central Houston Builder/Developer, Investor and Realtor. Reach out in messages with any other specific questions.
Echoing what has been said above. When I see deals come across with approved plans already, I see it as a potential red flag. Why hasn't the owner built them? You can find money for good deals.
Replatting adds value given the area, but approved plans, not so much unless the numbers actually work with the accurate comps.
I'm a central Houston Builder/Developer, Investor and Realtor. Reach out in messages with any other specific questions.
I pose the topic because I produce plans and get permits for projects. A lot of the newbie & experience RE investors I work with want to deal with new construction but is not willing to wait for the permit to be approved because the duration of the permit getting approved, the financing/money is lined up and the resources/data (comps and specs) has been provided but to get the deal funded everything has to be ready to go. Most HMLs / PMLs I spoke to recently want the borrower to be shovel ready.
Michigan, USA · Member since 2026 · 20 posts · 12 votes
6mo
From a design standpoint, it really depends on what you’re optimizing for: speed or long-term value.
Buying a lot with approved plans can definitely accelerate timelines and reduce some upfront uncertainty, which is great if you’re trying to move quickly. The tradeoff is that those plans are often generic and may not fully respond to the site, target market, or highest and best use of the property.
Starting from scratch gives you more control to align the design with the specific lot, local context, and buyer profile. Things like layout efficiency, natural light, and how the house sits on the land can have a real impact on both construction cost and resale value. That said, it does require more time upfront and a clearer vision.
Curious how others here weigh that tradeoff between speed and optimization.
From a design standpoint, it really depends on what you’re optimizing for: speed or long-term value.
Buying a lot with approved plans can definitely accelerate timelines and reduce some upfront uncertainty, which is great if you’re trying to move quickly. The tradeoff is that those plans are often generic and may not fully respond to the site, target market, or highest and best use of the property.
Starting from scratch gives you more control to align the design with the specific lot, local context, and buyer profile. Things like layout efficiency, natural light, and how the house sits on the land can have a real impact on both construction cost and resale value. That said, it does require more time upfront and a clearer vision.
Curious how others here weigh that tradeoff between speed and optimization.
This is based on speed getting to market. Works the same for single / infill lots to redevelopment of parcels.