Cash-out refi or normal rate & term refi in my situation?
I own a 5 bed / 2 bath SFH that I'm currently house hacking but plan to move out of and keep as a rental.
-
Bought: $284k (2 years ago)
-
Conservative value: $380k (target ~$425k)
-
Current rate: 7.35%
-
Current payment (PITI): $2,273/mo
It’s fully renovated (tiled baths, large master addition, refinished hardwoods, granite, stainless, etc.).
Rental comps are tricky — not many 5BRs in the area.
-
4BR homes rent for ~$2,800/mo
-
I estimate $3,000 low end, $3,200–3,400 high end
I want to hold long-term due to location and appreciation potential.
HELOC Situation
I used a $60k HELOC on another property and pulled ~$35k for down payment + some reno.
-
HELOC payment: $310/mo
Original goal was to cash-out refi this property to wipe out the HELOC and essentially recycle my capital.
Lender Options
Option 1: Rate & Term Refi
-
5.99%, no points
-
70% LTV on $380k
-
New PITI ≈ $1,983/mo
-
No cash out
Option 2: Cash-Out Refi
-
6.625%, no points
-
80% LTV
-
PITI ≈ $2,331/mo
-
~$30k cash out (enough to nearly wipe HELOC)
If I cash out and pay off the HELOC, I eliminate the $310/mo payment — effectively putting me at ~$2,021 total outflow. This frees up my HELOC balance back to the full $60k to use for my next purchase.
If I rate & term refi, I have a $1983/mo PITI + the $310/mo HELOC. If I go this route then I would focus on paying off the HELOC aggressively with my cash flow.
Another thought: cash-out now, then refi again in ~6 months into a lower rate (if available), but that means paying closing costs twice.
Question:
If your goal was long-term hold + strong cash flow, would you:
-
Take the 5.99% rate & term and just keep the HELOC?
-
Cash out, kill the HELOC, then potentially refi again later?
-
Something else I’m missing?
Appreciate any input.