Cash-out refi or normal rate & term refi in my situation?

Cash-out refi or normal rate & term refi in my situation?

Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 17 votes

I own a 5 bed / 2 bath SFH that I'm currently house hacking but plan to move out of and keep as a rental.

  • Bought: $284k (2 years ago)

  • Conservative value: $380k (target ~$425k)

  • Current rate: 7.35%

  • Current payment (PITI): $2,273/mo

It’s fully renovated (tiled baths, large master addition, refinished hardwoods, granite, stainless, etc.).

Rental comps are tricky — not many 5BRs in the area.

  • 4BR homes rent for ~$2,800/mo

  • I estimate $3,000 low end, $3,200–3,400 high end

I want to hold long-term due to location and appreciation potential.

HELOC Situation

I used a $60k HELOC on another property and pulled ~$35k for down payment + some reno.

  • HELOC payment: $310/mo

Original goal was to cash-out refi this property to wipe out the HELOC and essentially recycle my capital.

Lender Options

Option 1: Rate & Term Refi

  • 5.99%, no points

  • 70% LTV on $380k

  • New PITI ≈ $1,983/mo

  • No cash out

Option 2: Cash-Out Refi

  • 6.625%, no points

  • 80% LTV

  • PITI ≈ $2,331/mo

  • ~$30k cash out (enough to nearly wipe HELOC)

If I cash out and pay off the HELOC, I eliminate the $310/mo payment — effectively putting me at ~$2,021 total outflow. This frees up my HELOC balance back to the full $60k to use for my next purchase.

If I rate & term refi, I have a $1983/mo PITI + the $310/mo HELOC. If I go this route then I would focus on paying off the HELOC aggressively with my cash flow.

Another thought: cash-out now, then refi again in ~6 months into a lower rate (if available), but that means paying closing costs twice.

Question:

If your goal was long-term hold + strong cash flow, would you:

  1. Take the 5.99% rate & term and just keep the HELOC?

  2. Cash out, kill the HELOC, then potentially refi again later?

  3. Something else I’m missing?

Appreciate any input.

0Reply
28 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.