Advice on Plumbing Scope for Pool House ADU Conversion (233 sq ft Studio)

Advice on Plumbing Scope for Pool House ADU Conversion (233 sq ft Studio)

Crestview, FL · Member since 2021 · 109 posts · 76 votes

Hey everyone,

I'm working on converting my pool house into a small studio ADU and would appreciate some input from those who have done similar projects. I'm also currently looking for a good plumber in the Florida Panhandle area if anyone has recommendations.

The structure is already built and has water supply and a drain line stubbed, along with its own subpanel for electrical. The space measures 183" x 183" (~233 sq ft) and I’m aiming to turn it into a simple Airbnb studio / guest suite.

The layout plan is roughly:

  • 5’ x 7’ bathroom

    • 36"x36" shower

    • toilet

    • small vanity

  • Kitchenette

    • sink

    • compact fridge

    • microwave

  • Open studio area with bed + seating

  • Mini split HVAC

The goal is to phase the project and get it income-ready first, not overbuild it.

What I’m trying to determine from the plumbing side:

  1. What should I expect for rough plumbing scope for a setup like this?

  2. If the drain line is already stubbed, what are common issues that come up tying in toilet + shower + sink in small conversions?

  3. Any recommendations on small electric vs tankless water heaters for a studio ADU like this?

  4. Anything I should make sure is planned before drywall goes up?

This will likely be a short-term rental or mid-term rental once finished.

If anyone has done a pool house or garage conversion ADU, I’d love to hear what plumbing challenges you ran into.

Also open to plumber recommendations in the Crestview / Fort Walton / Destin area if anyone here is local.

Appreciate any advice.

0Reply
50 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    It really depends on exactly what "drainline is already stubbed". What size line, what is it connected to, and is that line in good, operable condition? Same for supply side, what size and type of line is feeding the unit, and is it sufficient to operate a full mix of fixtures and possibly laundry equip.

    If you  have gas available, the Rinnai tankless heaters work great! Otherwise, if electric is only option, perhaps just a standard 40 or 50 gallon installed outside of the unit if that is allowed there. If so, you need a simple plywood enclosure to protect it from the sun and salt air for longer life.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.