Why do you live where you live?

Why do you live where you live?

Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes

I have heard quite a few reasons for living in various areas.  Weather, family, politics, job transfer, college, etc.  However, I don't recall ever hearing someone say they moved to a particular area because it was landlord-friendly, or because the house flipping opportunities were awesome.

So what I'm wondering is, what is your reason for living where you live?  And the follow up questions: Does your reason pertain to real estate investing at all?  Did real estate investing have any impact on your reason to stay in, or move to, a particular place?

1Reply
284 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

365 days a year!

See this reply in the discussion

73 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Joe Hope you come to Houston.  We have been happy here for a long time.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 288 votes
    11y

    Grew up in Madison, Wisconsin.  Spent a few years in Chicago after college.  Was trying to be an actor.  Came to my senses after a few years.

    Followed my girlfriend (now my wife) out to the SF Bay area in 2003.  Stayed there until 2009.  Was extremely fortunate to get connected and hired by a great group of developers. Crash course in all things real estate for 6 years.  Priceless experience.

    After getting married in 2009, we decided to move back to Midwest to be around family. Been in Minneapolis for 5 years now.  Hate the winters, but love everything else about the city.  Urban, getting more cosmopolitan by the day, great schools, amazing restaurants and a great place to raise kids.  Doesn't hurt that grandma lives a mile away :)

  • Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2014 · 219 posts · 88 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Grew up in Madison, Wisconsin.  Spent a few years in Chicago after college.  Was trying to be an actor.  Came to my senses after a few years.

    Followed my girlfriend (now my wife) out to the SF Bay area in 2003.  Stayed there until 2009.  Was extremely fortunate to get connected and hired by a great group of developers. Crash course in all things real estate for 6 years.  Priceless experience.

    After getting married in 2009, we decided to move back to Midwest to be around family. Been in Minneapolis for 5 years now.  Hate the winters, but love everything else about the city.  Urban, getting more cosmopolitan by the day, great schools, amazing restaurants and a great place to raise kids.  Doesn't hurt that grandma lives a mile away :)

     And we're so friendly...

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2012 · 161 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    I grew up in a small village in Alaska called Togiak and lived there until I was 10. My parents were teachers. I moved to small town Wisconsin when my parents decided to retire and be closer to there family and where they grew up. I moved to Minneapolis after I graduated from college for my first big boy job because it was where most of the solid engineering jobs were. I transitioned into real estate full time a little over a year ago. Besides the winters, it's a great place to live.

    For me seeing my friends and family on a daily basis is the most important so I plan on hanging around the twin cities for the long term. 

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    This morning we got up & made the mistake of looking @ the weather app, -2 degrees F with a high of 3 degrees F. I ask myself this morning- Why are we living here? Then the phone blew up clients, investors, contractors, real estate agents..... Delegate, delegate, delegate. We're in downtown Chicago- walking distance or a short cab ride to everything Chicago has to offer, but we're here because of REI business. Every chance we get to venture to someplace warm we take.

  • Investor · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    I live in paradise...beautiful beaches...soft white sand...historical buildings...forts...brick streets...festivals every weekend....Celtic...pirates...quaint restaurants...fried shrimp ...datil peppers...good schools...art galleries...as far as REI we are in a bubble though...houses are too high to buy and hold or flip...had to have bought a few years ago...

  • Paulsboro, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Born and raised where I currently live.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    Just outside of Detroit for me.  Lived in many cities around the area.  Most of my family is here.  The Wife has a nice career here with her job.  No kids for us but we help my Nephew with his child that is a single Dad.

       I even bought the house I was raised in.  The profits to be made in this area is great.  So I will be buying more and see no need to go anywhere else to invest in rentals.

    I did live in CA for about 5 months it was nice but it wasn't Michigan.  

    Downtown Detroit is 15 mins away.  Got all 4 sports teams.  The MI summers are the best.  Water, water, water everywhere.

    I have thought about trying to get out of here but in the end all my family and friends are here.  Its easier to move around when you are younger.   

  • Interior Designer/Real Estate Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 91 votes
    11y

    I grew up in Monterey County, California - third generation from the Oklahoma migration during the Great Depression.  Couldn't wait to get out, even if it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

    Spent my twenties bar tending in Las Vegas.  Great place to spend your twenties, was not for me long term.  Miss the heat and long summers, though :)

    Spent a few years with family in Eastern Oregon (not my place at all) - then transferred into the University of Oregon.  As soon as I topped the pass and drove down into the Willamette Valley I knew I had found home.  That was in 2001.  

    The great advantage is that a college town is always good for Real Estate and in this valley the percentage of people that start school here and then stay is pretty high.  Its hard not to love the green, lots of water, tons of stuff to do and friendly people.  If you are an outdoors person you just can't beat Oregon.

  • Homeowner · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    I am in the Army, so I go where I am ordered. That being said, I love Colorado Springs. The weather is great, even winters aren't too bad, and it is sunny over 300 days a year. Tons of outdoor activities, clean air, and relatively low cost of living all compare favorably to my native California.

  • Abhay K.Pro Member
    Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2012 · 64 posts · 45 votes
    11y

    Came to bay area for work, weather, naturalized here, live here for work. I invest in central valley CA and hope to move my RE assets to bay area over time. I have lived around sunny (but bitter cold) chicago during college and would not want to go there except for taste of chicago and summer concerts in the park!

  • Real estate agent, investor. · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I was born and raised here in Philadelphia, Pa. I was thinking about moving somewhere where its sunny all the time, but the opportunities are endless here. Can't leave just yet..

  • Orange Park, FL · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Been in FL for 38 years. Why leave now? :)

    I've always liked the NC mountains, but my closest fam members live near me here in FL, so I just visit NC from time to time. I imagine just visiting NC will continue making me like it vs moving there.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Paul, MN · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    11y

    Lived in MN all my life. I stay because my wife doesn't want to leave family/friends. When I was single, I almost moved to western MT (have family there) but wasn't sure about finding work. My brother actually did move, looked for 6 mos and then moved back. I considered Denver, but never pulled the trigger. I would love to live in a bit milder climate, but mostly would really like to move to the mountains for the outdoor activities. 

  • Realtor and Investor · Saint Simons Island, GA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @Kimberly T. I currently live in Bethesda, Maryland in the DC suburbs. We live in Bethesda because it is close to the school where my wife teaches and she did NOT want to spend her time sitting in a car commuting. We have 2 young sons and there are many parks and recreation activities in the area too. We are still close to DC and can jump on a bus and be in DC in minutes. 

    For my real estate business I am licensed in "all three" as we say...DC, MD and VA. Most of my rehabs have been in PG County MD and DC proper. Frankly, I just accept that driving around and being in my car is part of the real estate gig. I recently traded in my big SUV for a smaller SUV with much better gas mileage and that has been amazing!

    So really, as with all real estate, it comes down to location for us and where we decided to live. Hope this helps!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    My mom is set on being where she is, and I refuse not being walking distance from her ever.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Today we live is Shrewsbury, MA- not by choice, 5 feet of snow in the backyard.  I keep following my husband across the country AZ, PA, NJ and I would move in a minute if he got a good offer somewhere we want to go but the last offer to MN was not (colder then MA).  One day we will  spend more time in RI and FL Keys where I hope to expand our investments.    Investment does influence our choices and I would not have discovered RI without it. The driving factor for me though like many others is the important people in my life.  I have traveled most of this country and visited many of the beautiful home cities all of you mention here, it impresses me that even in the toughest investment locations (small towns, expensive locations, economic downturns) you have people that make things work for them.  

  • Investor · West Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 239 votes
    11y

    Los Angeles is the place for me! I was born here will most likely die here. I'm so grateful for the weather (it's 80 degrees today) the diversity of people places and things to do.  Impossible to be bored here. As for rei it's not the easiest place to invest but opportunities are everywhere.

  • Investor, Real Estate Agent · San Juan Capistrano, CA · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 65 votes
    11y

    oh man I love this question! I live in Dana point because I was raised near by (laguna hills), and because of the weather, beauty, and most importantly, waves. 

    I've often thought 'man if I inly lived in *enter city with cheap housing* I would do so well!' I've been flipping for 5 years but still can't justify buying a house of my own.  If I ever were to move away (which I don't plan on) Id go somewhere I could buy land, and hunt and fish and buy rentals / flip. 

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Live in San Luis Obispo, Google happiest place in USA!!!! Things are SLO here as name says, and home is great investment in value. Not far from best weather in USA, Nipomo.

  • Tyson CoxPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Soldotna, AK · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    We, my wife and three kids, live in Soldotna on the Kenai Peninsula in South Central Alaska. My wife and I both moved to the area when we were kids when our parents decided to pursue oilfield work opportunities. My wife and I went to college out of state, but decided to return because this is where our family and friends were. It is a great place to raise kids. It has that small town feel, but with retail conveniences.

    Sometimes the winters can be long (Excluding this year. Temp is usually around 0 this time of year, but is 36 right now!). It can drag on with the amount of daylight dipping down to about 5 hours and 45 minutes at the end of December. We have seriously considered moving several times. So why don't we just move?

    1. My wife has a great job that she loves.

    2. We have several local investment properties that I manage myself.

    3. We have a good support system for, both, family and rental situations.

    4. We get a good return on our properties.

    5. The local rental market is good.

    We did look at moving to the Pacific Northwest as that is where the rest of my family reside. We began to look for 2-4 unit properties as that has been our bread and butter in Soldotna. We found it very difficult to get our target return in the areas we were willing to move to. They just cost too much and rented for too little.

    Since weather, and not economics, was our main reason for wanting to leave, we decided to choose a compromise. We plan warm family vacations at least every other year (more often when possible) during the winter months. This helps us to recharge enough to last until summer. When our kids are out of school we do plan to spend even more time in warm winter areas, but we will always have our home in Alaska.

  • Investor · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    because I have a 1 year lease in The Dalles. Tried to get a local trucking job but got fired. Going to try for another 2 local jobs. If I can't get them, its back to Portland in july when my lease is up.

  • Real Estate Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    I have lived in Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts (currently living in Haverhill, MA). I can’t imagine living anywhere else; I love the 4 seasons and being outside.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.