What's my best option for mortgage under $50,000

What's my best option for mortgage under $50,000

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 13 votes

I'm closing in a few weeks on an investment property for $40,000 cash. I'll repair it and get a tenant in (should rent for $900 a month) and the ARV is $65-$70k

I want to pull the cash out as soon as I can, but having a little trouble finding lenders. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to look? And what are the best terms I'll be able to find. I'm hoping for 75% LTV (as long as loan doesn't exceed purchase price + repairs) and 5-6%??

Also, is it possible for me to get a HELOC or a commercial loan on this property?

1Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
12y

Paid cash for a home and want to take "cash out"? Now, you can.

Via a special Fannie Mae program known as Delayed Financing, U.S. home buyers and real estate investors are no longer required to wait 6 months post-closing to refinance a home bought with cash.

The standard 6-month seasoning requirement on cash-out refinances has been eliminated. You can now refinance your home within 24 hours of its purchase.

Click here to get today's mortgage rates.

Fannie Mae's "Delayed Financing Rule"

Fannie Mae first introduced its Delayed Financing Rule in mid-2011. In part, the program was meant to help home buyer and real estate investors who were buying "unlendable" homes in foreclosure; and buyers required to close in a very short time frame.

Properties can be unlendable for a multitude of reasons.

With respect to foreclosures, the most common reasons why a home would be unlendable are linked to its habitability. Homes without running water, for example, are unlendable because no person should reasonably live there. The same is true for homes with broken windows, lead paint, or a busted roof.

Via Delayed Financing, a buyer can purchase a home with cash, make the necessary home repairs, and then perform a cash-out refinance on the home's existing equity.

This can be a simpler than purchasing the home outright using a construction loan program such as the FHA 203k.

Other times, cash deals are required to meet a seller's closing window.

For example, a home sold at auction may require full payment in cash within 7 business days but, in many states, by law, banks are not allowed to approve and fund mortgages in fewer than 10 days.

In these instances, the Delayed Financing program is a terrific fit. The home is bought with cash, and refinanced immediately.

Click to get today's Delayed Financing mortgage rates.

Are You Eligible For Delayed Financing?

The Delayed Financing program has been widely available since 2011. Prior to its release, home buyers and real estate investors could not cash-out refinance a purchased home until six months had passed.

Today, the cash-out refinance process can begin immediately.

In order to qualify for Delayed Financing, you must only meet certain eligibility standards :

  • The cash used for the original purchase must be documented to the bank
  • The new loan size may not exceed the property's original purchase price
  • A title search must show that no liens exist on the home

Furthermore, as a fraud-prevention measure, you must also show proof that the home sale actually occurred. The simplest way to prove that the home was sold is to provide your loan officer with the original HUD-1 document from the closing. The HUD-1 must show no evidence of a lien, and it must be signed by all parties.

Your lender will also verify that the original transaction was arms-length.

Mortgages via the Delayed Financing program are limited to 70% loan-to-value, and can be used for 1-unit, 2-unit, 3-unit or 4-unit homes. It can also be used with second homes, vacation properties, and rental units.

Delayed Financing is even available for buyers with more than 4 properties financed.

You Paid Cash At Closing, Now Get Your Cash-Out

The Delayed Financing Rule has helped the housing market forward and it's available for general use. Rates follow cash-out refinance pricing , and there are no additional "points" or fees due at closing just for using the program. Plus, closings are scheduled like "normal" refinances and the underwriting process is the same.

Not every bank will offer the Delayed Financing mortgage. Especially for investors using the 5-10 Properties program. It pays to shop around. Get started with today's low rates.

Interesting program, but you still are not able to use the "new value"

If you buy for 30 put 10 into it 40 all in.

70% LTV is 28k

Same house appraises for 70k 12 months later

70% LTV is 49k

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Do a cash out Refi. You need to wait 6-12 months (depending on lender) for the property to season before the bank will use a new appraised value.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    right, well that was my backup plan. I've found a few lenders that will do that, but I thought fannie mae had a delayed financing program that I could use to finance this property shortly after closing, as long as the loan amount isn't higher than the purchase price + repairs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    TD Bank is good for just about any amount on a mortgage.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Paid cash for a home and want to take "cash out"? Now, you can.

    Via a special Fannie Mae program known as Delayed Financing, U.S. home buyers and real estate investors are no longer required to wait 6 months post-closing to refinance a home bought with cash.

    The standard 6-month seasoning requirement on cash-out refinances has been eliminated. You can now refinance your home within 24 hours of its purchase.

    Click here to get today's mortgage rates.

    Fannie Mae's "Delayed Financing Rule"

    Fannie Mae first introduced its Delayed Financing Rule in mid-2011. In part, the program was meant to help home buyer and real estate investors who were buying "unlendable" homes in foreclosure; and buyers required to close in a very short time frame.

    Properties can be unlendable for a multitude of reasons.

    With respect to foreclosures, the most common reasons why a home would be unlendable are linked to its habitability. Homes without running water, for example, are unlendable because no person should reasonably live there. The same is true for homes with broken windows, lead paint, or a busted roof.

    Via Delayed Financing, a buyer can purchase a home with cash, make the necessary home repairs, and then perform a cash-out refinance on the home's existing equity.

    This can be a simpler than purchasing the home outright using a construction loan program such as the FHA 203k.

    Other times, cash deals are required to meet a seller's closing window.

    For example, a home sold at auction may require full payment in cash within 7 business days but, in many states, by law, banks are not allowed to approve and fund mortgages in fewer than 10 days.

    In these instances, the Delayed Financing program is a terrific fit. The home is bought with cash, and refinanced immediately.

    Click to get today's Delayed Financing mortgage rates.

    Are You Eligible For Delayed Financing?

    The Delayed Financing program has been widely available since 2011. Prior to its release, home buyers and real estate investors could not cash-out refinance a purchased home until six months had passed.

    Today, the cash-out refinance process can begin immediately.

    In order to qualify for Delayed Financing, you must only meet certain eligibility standards :

    • The cash used for the original purchase must be documented to the bank
    • The new loan size may not exceed the property's original purchase price
    • A title search must show that no liens exist on the home

    Furthermore, as a fraud-prevention measure, you must also show proof that the home sale actually occurred. The simplest way to prove that the home was sold is to provide your loan officer with the original HUD-1 document from the closing. The HUD-1 must show no evidence of a lien, and it must be signed by all parties.

    Your lender will also verify that the original transaction was arms-length.

    Mortgages via the Delayed Financing program are limited to 70% loan-to-value, and can be used for 1-unit, 2-unit, 3-unit or 4-unit homes. It can also be used with second homes, vacation properties, and rental units.

    Delayed Financing is even available for buyers with more than 4 properties financed.

    You Paid Cash At Closing, Now Get Your Cash-Out

    The Delayed Financing Rule has helped the housing market forward and it's available for general use. Rates follow cash-out refinance pricing , and there are no additional "points" or fees due at closing just for using the program. Plus, closings are scheduled like "normal" refinances and the underwriting process is the same.

    Not every bank will offer the Delayed Financing mortgage. Especially for investors using the 5-10 Properties program. It pays to shop around. Get started with today's low rates.

    Interesting program, but you still are not able to use the "new value"

    If you buy for 30 put 10 into it 40 all in.

    70% LTV is 28k

    Same house appraises for 70k 12 months later

    70% LTV is 49k

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    12y

    I would look into a commercial mortgage. The route I take is to purchase and rehab the property with my own funds or a private source. Then once the property is complete, I will place a tenant. My commercial lender want to see the tenant in the property on a year lease with full security and first months rent paid. They will then have an aappraisal or in my case they have just been doing a property evaluation, basically an appraisal with a different name and different rules.

    You can have this all done in a matter of 2-3 months. The LTV for me has been at 70% with a 5% interest rate. 15 year ammortization with a balloon after 5 years which they will want to renew for another 5 year term unless something has eroded dramatically, so the interest rate will just reset. So in your case you can buy with cash for $40,000 put your money into the property to unlock the value. Then once your tenant is placed you should be able to finance it for roughly $45,500 if it values at $65,000. There is no reason why you should not be able to borrow more than you put in if the value is there. I just finished on last year where I purchased for $29,000 put $10,000 - $11,000 in and its value came in at $70,000 with it renting for $810/m and I got a loan for $47,500 which left me with some money in my pocket . Good luck.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Hmm.. thanks @Kyle Hipp . Yeah, I wansn't sure if I could get a commercial mortgage for such a small loan. Which lender do you use, and do they lend in north carolina? And.. have you considered interest only options with 5 year terms? I was thinking of that option to increase cash flow, and invest the money insead of pay down principal at 5%.

    And @James Wise

    I'm going to look more into fannie mae delayed financing. But if I have to go off "new value" like you say, A commercial loan may be more attractive if I can pull out that much more cash.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 107 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Hmm.. thanks @Kyle Hipp . Yeah, I wansn't sure if I could get a commercial mortgage for such a small loan. Which lender do you use, and do they lend in north carolina? And.. have you considered interest only options with 5 year terms? I was thinking of that option to increase cash flow, and invest the money insead of pay down principal at 5%.

    Also, will the commercial lender base the value on cap rate or comps or both?

    And @James Wise

    I'm going to look more into fannie mae delayed financing. But if I have to go off "new value" like you say, A commercial loan may be more attractive if I can pull out that much more cash.

  • Investor · Los Osos, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    I am looking into Wells Fargo right now, they told me over the phone they would do a HELOC at 80%LTV on a rental property, at any value of home. We will see how that plays out but sounds promising so far.

    Thanks for the tip on TD Bank I will call them as well...

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    12y

    Asher, I am in Wisconsin and I use a local credit union. It sounds like the terms I mentioned are pretty standard for a commercial note although some offer ARMs after 5 years instead of a balloon.

    I have considered interest only loans and it doesn't fit into my personal strategy. I don't need large cashflow as I am currently employed. All my current properties will be paid off or very close by the time I want to conservatively go full time real estate at age 40. I am at roughly 60% LTV with my holdings combined. I feel that my equity position and the accelerated paydown of principle on my current notes will increase my ability to secure financing from private sources as well as commercisl notes in the future. It also frames my investment decisions to only go after great deals that will produce cashflow like a good property would on a 30 year note but instead ona 15.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    u can't get a commercial loan for 50k. Don't waste your time. Call mortgage brokers and get it that way. Or credit unions.

  • Flipper · Gardner, KS · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    I did a cash out refi on a rehab in wisconsin last summer. The property didn't sell right away and I had a 6 month agreement with my private lender. I called a local credit union and they gave me the 6 month seasoning story but said that the "business loan department" may be able to help. I ended up getting a 3 year ARM at 4.6% amortized over 25 years. ( coudn't do 30) Again this was a business loan, not a typical mortgage. They gave me 80% of appraised value which was enough to pay off my private guy and most of the rehab. I put a tenant in the property on a Lease option and it's cash flowing approx. $300 / month. Hope this helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlantic Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    This is some awesome feedback here!  ALL - thank you for sharing.  I am calling TD Bank to see if I can establish a relationship with them.

  • Florissant, MO · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Kim Cerrato How did it work out with TD Bank??

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    9y
    Old thread here, I see. FYI TD Bank took over two months to close on my HELOC. I would look elsewhere if you value your time. I went to hell and back with them.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.