Should I try and consolidate 3 mortgages with a portfolio lender?

Should I try and consolidate 3 mortgages with a portfolio lender?

Trussville, AL · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Esteemed REI's,

I wanted to get some opinions on my current mortgage situation and see if there is an option that will possibly lower my interest rate and payment on 3 long term rentals I have. I hear a lot about portfolio lenders and wondered if it made sense to try and consolidate all 3 into one loan (assuming that's how the portfolio lenders work).

Mortgage 1, 30 yr conv, 6.75%, 2008, 55k orig bal, 46k remain, PITI $470/mo. Rented 95% since purchased. Bank of America.

Mortgage 2, 30 yr conv, 5.75%, 2009, 35k orig bal, 31k remain, PITI $376/mo. Rented 95% since purchased. Everhome

Mortgage 3, 30 yr conv, 5.625%, 2009, 55k orig bal, 49k remain, PITI $441/mo. Rented 90% since purchased. Everhome

Rental House #4, no mortgage (maybe use for collateral?)

I'm not in any bind whatsoever but was just thinking if I could effectively lower the payment by a few hundred every month, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Opinions? Other options to suggest?

Thanks!

0Reply
2 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · WI · Member since 2013 · 125 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Hi John, Welcome to BP!

    Portfolio loan = In house loan = Bank uses it's own money.

    You could probably get better rates, assuming good credit, appraisal supports price etc. Maybe even 3+% rates on 25am, but the rate locks will be 3 or 5 years before ARM.

    So You lose the safety of 30 yr rate locks.

    If the existing mortgages are Conventional, then I would immediately join a Credit Union and check refi options, especially on the 6.5% loan. Closing costs will hurt for investment property, but rates should be around 4.5% locked for 30yrs right now.

    John

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Advantage: lower rate, assuming you get a 20-30 year fixed

    Disadvantages: closing costs, less flexibility on disposing of 1 or 2 properties, restarting the amortization schedule

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.