Don't use The Mortgage Shop

Don't use The Mortgage Shop

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 3 votes

I want to share my experience with The Mortgage Shop. I have closed three loans with The Mortgage Shop. Those were good experiences. But the real test of this company's character came with the most recent loan I tried to close with them.First, I thought the loan rate was locked, and it was not. The loan officer had forgotten to lock the rate. Second, I expressed concern over the appraisal rental analysis not being high enough and was told, "We are at a 1.22% DSCR ratio so we are good.”That was on Dec. 5. My deadline to back out of my real estate transaction and get my earnest money back was Dec. 12. On Dec. 23, my loan officer called me and said the DSCR ratio was below 1%. When I asked why this was caught earlier, she responded, "Based on the timelines you provided, we had a team fail including me... I had too many rush loans come in during that week the insurance and appraisal came in."They admitted that the problem was lack of staffing and being overworked. But at this point, I'm past the deadline to back out, and to do so would mean losing about $6,000 in earnest money. So I began frantically looking for a new lender. I found one, who was able to grant an exception for the DSCR ratio and close the loan.I contacted The Mortgage Shop after the fact with a full history of what had transpired and asked for some compensation. Why? Because if had I been informed of the issue prior to Dec. 12, I would have been able to back out of the transaction and walk away with my money. And although I'm grateful to have found another lender to get it done, it cost me more money in points, a higher interest rate because of the current rate was higher than previous, and I had to buy another appraisal for $750.The response I received from one of the founders of the company states: "We are not able to refund any amounts at this time as the time of quality control has passed.... I am sorry you feel that way, but there is nothing we can do at this point on this file."But here's the thing -- they were aware the entire time. They admitted their failure, yet are electing to do nothing to make it right. They offered to give me a credit on a future loan. But based on my experience with upper management, there will be no future loans with The Mortgage Shop. They are happy to earn thousands of dollars in commission on the loans I have closed with them, but when one has a significant failure on their part, they just say there's nothing they can do.What's most disappointing is their overall lack of accountability. I can totally understand they were overworked and understaffed, and as a result, mistakes were made. I'm not mad about that. I'm upset that they aren't making it right. As an owner of several short-term rental properties, when my guests have an issue at one of my properties, I do everything I can to make it right. Yet when The Mortgage Shop openly admits that my loan fell through the cracks due to staffing issues, I was given misinformation regarding my rental analysis, and as a result missed my window to back out of the deal — not even an apology, at least not until I wrote them and asked for one.As a result, despite my previous loan with The Mortgage Shop, I do not recommend them. If you're looking for a great lender who can get you to the finish line, including getting creative if there's any problem with your loan, contact James Mahieu with Northpointe Bank. He is licensed in all 50 states. 

1Reply
196 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Cargal:

    I want to share my experience with The Mortgage Shop. I have closed three loans with The Mortgage Shop. Those were good experiences. But the real test of this company's character came with the most recent loan I tried to close with them.First, I thought the loan rate was locked, and it was not. The loan officer had forgotten to lock the rate. Second, I expressed concern over the appraisal rental analysis not being high enough and was told, "We are at a 1.22% DSCR ratio so we are good.”That was on Dec. 5. My deadline to back out of my real estate transaction and get my earnest money back was Dec. 12. On Dec. 23, my loan officer called me and said the DSCR ratio was below 1%. When I asked why this was caught earlier, she responded, "Based on the timelines you provided, we had a team fail including me... I had too many rush loans come in during that week the insurance and appraisal came in."They admitted that the problem was lack of staffing and being overworked. But at this point, I'm past the deadline to back out, and to do so would mean losing about $6,000 in earnest money. So I began frantically looking for a new lender. I found one, who was able to grant an exception for the DSCR ratio and close the loan.I contacted The Mortgage Shop after the fact with a full history of what had transpired and asked for some compensation. Why? Because if had I been informed of the issue prior to Dec. 12, I would have been able to back out of the transaction and walk away with my money. And although I'm grateful to have found another lender to get it done, it cost me more money in points, a higher interest rate because of the current rate was higher than previous, and I had to buy another appraisal for $750.The response I received from one of the founders of the company states: "We are not able to refund any amounts at this time as the time of quality control has passed.... I am sorry you feel that way, but there is nothing we can do at this point on this file."But here's the thing -- they were aware the entire time. They admitted their failure, yet are electing to do nothing to make it right. They offered to give me a credit on a future loan. But based on my experience with upper management, there will be no future loans with The Mortgage Shop. They are happy to earn thousands of dollars in commission on the loans I have closed with them, but when one has a significant failure on their part, they just say there's nothing they can do.What's most disappointing is their overall lack of accountability. I can totally understand they were overworked and understaffed, and as a result, mistakes were made. I'm not mad about that. I'm upset that they aren't making it right. As an owner of several short-term rental properties, when my guests have an issue at one of my properties, I do everything I can to make it right. Yet when The Mortgage Shop openly admits that my loan fell through the cracks due to staffing issues, I was given misinformation regarding my rental analysis, and as a result missed my window to back out of the deal — not even an apology, at least not until I wrote them and asked for one.As a result, despite my previous loan with The Mortgage Shop, I do not recommend them. If you're looking for a great lender who can get you to the finish line, including getting creative if there's any problem with your loan, contact James Mahieu with Northpointe Bank. He is licensed in all 50 states. 

     I think the main issue here, is not working with a trusted broker. 1 bad review will ruin a small broker shop's reputation. The bigger companies, truly see you as another number in their pipeline and not as a client. You could give them a thousand bad reviews, if they are the only person in town offering a specific type of product, people will still do business with them. Alternatively, you can give them hundreds of loans a year, and they will not care if you come back or not. 

    This business is cold and cut throat. You will have an LO offering you the moon and the stars and they will switch your terms at the last minute. And while you get upset, sometimes you have no choice but to close with bad terms, or forfeit your EMD. They won't care if you talk to their manager or supervisor, because at the end of the day, a lot of these LOs work under the company's license and name. They can switch to whatever company they want and continue to do bad business.

    A broker on the other hand IS licensed and has a lot more recourse than a big company. You send a complaint to the NMLS or DRE for failing to disclose, or charging an excessive amount of fees and they will suspend the broker's license. No License = No Livelihood. 

    Yes there are broker's out there that also don't do good business, but they typically work with clients that do not know any better. 

    That's why it is important for you to know the basics of lending and do not solely rely on what your Loan Officer is telling you. Next time ask them for proof. I always do it all the time as a broker. And while it is not your job to be an expert loan officer, it certainly helps to avoid these situations. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Even as a broker there are many sleazy Account Executives that try to win my business with terms or extra compensation. If it's a lender that does not allow me to speak to an underwriter, see guidelines, or speak to an account manager, I will try not to work with them, unless I know the Account Executive is very experienced. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Jeff ChisumPro Member
    Lender · All 50 States · Member since 2020 · 248 posts · 142 votes
    1y

    I did a few podcast episodes on what to ask and beware of when working with DSCR lenders. First red flag is if they say that they will shop your deal with a few different investors. Relationships matter. Losing control of the process matters.

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jeff Chisum:

    I did a few podcast episodes on what to ask and beware of when working with DSCR lenders. First red flag is if they say that they will shop your deal with a few different investors. Relationships matter. Losing control of the process matters.

     I agree with this. A solid broker has established lending relationships. Otherwise they are as good as you calling a bunch of lenders to do your deal. Not really worth paying their points if they are just doing what you are already doing. 

    You are also putting yourself at risk working that way. What if this lender they recommend is not ethical? What if they change the terms on you last minute? Being a broker is more than just shopping for the best deal. You also have to make sure what you are offering is able to close and in a timely manner.  

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.