Crypto-backed mortgages… real shift or just noise?

Crypto-backed mortgages… real shift or just noise?

Lender · Marlboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 243 posts · 149 votes

Has anyone here been following Fannie Mae moving forward with crypto-backed mortgage structures?

Today, Fannie Mae announced it will begin allowing crypto-backed mortgage structures for the first time.

From what I’ve seen, this isn’t about counting crypto the same as cash. It’s more along the lines of being able to pledge assets like Bitcoin as collateral instead of liquidating for a down payment. 

From a borrower perspective, that’s pretty interesting. A lot of investors today hold a meaningful portion of their net worth in crypto, but when it comes to qualifying for financing, it’s basically ignored unless you sell. That’s always felt like a gap. This looks like a step toward closing that gap while still underwriting the risk conservatively. That said, I’m trying to think through how this actually plays out in practice.

Volatility is the obvious issue. If markets swing hard, how do lenders protect against that? Are we talking heavy haircuts, margin call-type structures, or something else? Also curious how people here would actually use something like this.

Would you keep your crypto exposure and pledge it? Or would you still rather liquidate and come in clean on a deal?

Feels like this could be meaningful long term, but I’m not convinced it becomes a go-to option right away. Interested to hear what others think about this.

0Reply
60 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    6mo

    Not sure how meaningful this will be, as I honestly don't think a lot of real estate investors hold significant dollars in crypto. Also, lenders are going to discount the value significantly due to the volatility. It's not really going to be, I don't believe, a major player.

    When it boils down to it, just like if you had a $5 million stock portfolio, they might let you leverage 50% of it, as an example. I would guess a crypto-based asset is going to have a significant reduction on what the carry is, in value for you to use. I do agree it is a lot better than having to exit and sell the asset. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    It sounds great, until it's not...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.