How do I raise private money

Most Popular Reply

Vaibhav PuranikPro Member
Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 28 votes
12h

Start with friends or family. That's the best way to start. You will need to ensure that you give them a time line to return their money and tell them what kind of returns are expected.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vaibhav PuranikPro Member
    Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 28 votes
    12h

    Start with friends or family. That's the best way to start. You will need to ensure that you give them a time line to return their money and tell them what kind of returns are expected.

    • Investor · Blackwood, NJ · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 1 vote
      11h

      I don't to go that route. Beside my friends and family don't have any money.

  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 876 posts · 395 votes
    12h

    I'd have to argue and say not to seek money from family or friends. It's a great way to ruin relationships. I see it all the time. Try looking for local REIA groups or places that you can meet investors face to face. No one will lend you money if they don't know who you are.

    • Investor · Blackwood, NJ · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 1 vote
      11h

      Yeah I agree with the friends and family about not asking them. I've been there with the REIA events too. A lot of these guys are just talk. I've been doing this for eight years. I just want to see if there's anything else out there.

  • NJ · Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    10h

    Hey Frank, I work with a private lender that handles rental and investment property financing. If you already have a deal in mind, he may be able to go over some options with you. What are you looking to purchase and roughly how much capital are you trying to raise?

    • Investor · Blackwood, NJ · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 1 vote
      10h

      Hey William

      I have a few I'm looking at. I have some lenders in mind. It's the capital I'm looking to raise, about $250-350k. I'm willing to do an equity share or something of that nature.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6h

    Show you're credible, show you have skin in the game, show a tangible opportunity with upside and how you're protecting the private money's downside.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 272 posts · 89 votes
    5h

    Hi @Frank Saraceno , private money usually starts with relationships and trust. Get clear on your market and bring potential lenders a specific deal with conservative numbers, repayment terms, their security, and the risks clearly explained. Friends, family, local investors, and real estate meetups can be good starting points. Just keep everything professional—use an attorney for the documents, follow lending and securities rules, and never promise guaranteed returns. It may take time to build that first relationship, but each conversation will help you sharpen your approach. Stay consistent—a solid deal and honest communication will make raising money easier over time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.