2 yr Landlording on Taxes holding me up!

2 yr Landlording on Taxes holding me up!

Rainier, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Ok - this will be a bit of a winded post but want to air my current situation and ask for your help. I am really looking to have explained a little deeper the ways individuals build a buy-and-hold portfolio and get around the 2 year land lording requirements that banks offer. I read all the time how people accumulate property w/$100k cash, put $20k down on 5 properties and viola you have 5 $100k homes w/$80k mortgages on them.

I have heard call different lenders and ask but the handful I have contacted don't have any answers for me other than I can't do anything additional without 2 years land lording on my taxes for DTI purposes.

My situation:

I am employed full time with a rough salary just shy of $100k/yr

I have a primary residence with a mortgage on it and little equity

I am also putting the final touches on an investment property that was paid cash for and is worth about $160k.

I have additional cash to cover down payments on a few more properties.I was pre-approved for $150k financing on my next place with 20% down.

My fear is in a few months once I have renters in there I cannot get additional financing for more properties until I show 2 years on taxes to offset the dti.

I am just looking at how others have approached financing within the 2 year taxable rental income.

I get that when I have a few properties I can find a portfolio lender to help me out but I want to ensure that I can keep the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance and I searched the forums found a lot of info but none that specifically helped my situation.

Dom

0Reply
5 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Some qualify on their personal income w/o the rental income. Others buy subject to.

  • Rainier, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Jeff S.. My personal income gets me far enough at this point to only pick up one more until I can show the 2 years rental income to offset my DTI. Thats the problem as I have some cash to plunk down as down payments.

  • Real Estate Agent · Port Huron, MI · Member since 2012 · 295 posts · 82 votes
    12y

    Honestly I wouldn't worry about this. Join your local REI, check BP daily, keep reading, listening to podcast and watching YouTube channels and you'll find ways to get money. Knowledge and money is infinite and your only limitation to getting them is you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.