Defaulting borrowers living in houses in foreclosure - how long in your state?

Defaulting borrowers living in houses in foreclosure - how long in your state?

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes

CA foreclosure used to be what I considered relatively quick.  A non judicial foreclosure here, if done correctly without frivolous push back is 4 months. Now there is a 4 month default period required by the CFPB regs before initiating foreclosure (notice of default).  That's a minimum of 8 months.  I realize those if you in judicial states see a lot worse.  

What's the minimum time to recover the collateral via foreclosure in your state?  This assumes no mods or workouts.  No DIL or short sale negotiations gone bad.  Just straight from the first default to the foreclosure sale. I'm interested as a seller carry back lender.  But also I'm interested in how long borrowers can remain in their house without making a housing payment in different states.

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 537 posts · 228 votes
    11y

    In Texas, I can foreclose as early as the 2nd month after a missed payment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.