Does your rental property usually stand good for the loan?

Does your rental property usually stand good for the loan?

Investor · South Central, KY · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote

I am currently working on my second real estate deal and my first loan for an investment property. I'm working with a loan officer at a small bank that I have a good relationship with and have done things with in the past. The property is a six unit with great cash flow currently priced at $169,000. The bank I'm dealing with will only do a 20 yr fixed if they can have a $130,000 mortgage on my primary residence which is paid off. If I don't use my home the terms are 20 yr with a 5 yr lock at the same rate. Is this typical or should I start shopping around?

Additional Information

  • 4.5% rate on either loan
  • 790 credit score
  • $0 debt
  • Good Income
0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Jon Begley I have two commercial loans and those are almost exactly the terms.  Yes, the loans are against the rental property itself.  

Is the subject property you're getting the quote for 5 units or more?  If not, consider shopping around some more.  I have single unit rental properties with standard 30 year terms.

- Tom

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Yes, 1-4 units is residential, over that is not.....hence the reason for the difference in terms, in addition to your primary residence being owner occupied.

  • Investor · South Central, KY · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    Yes, 1-4 units is residential, over that is not.....hence the reason for the difference in terms, in addition to your primary residence being owner occupied.

     I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain my situation very well. I intended to get a loan for $130,000 for the rental property. They gave me two options. I could have a 20yr loan with 5yrs locked in at 4.5% and the rental stand good for the loan or I could have a 20yr fixed at 4.5% if my home stood good for the loan. I'm just wondering if it's typical for people to have 20yr fixed loans on investment properties without providing other forms of collateral.

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Begley I have two commercial loans and those are almost exactly the terms.  Yes, the loans are against the rental property itself.  

    Is the subject property you're getting the quote for 5 units or more?  If not, consider shopping around some more.  I have single unit rental properties with standard 30 year terms.

    - Tom

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    If you are good with the payments that x will be due with a  20 year amortization, I'd take the loan on tge primary for 20 years, locked in at 4.5% for the fulll 20 years vs only 5 on the loan against the investment property.  In the future if rates go up (they will), you won't necessarily have to refinance.  If they improve, you can if you want to.  I would ask your friend at the bank if that's the lowest rate he can get you.  It's a little high for current market on a 20 year fixed on a primary residence, unless your getting a bunch of lender credit to cover closing costs.  Also, see what the 15 year Rates are.  If it were me, I'd be inclined to do the 15 year.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    What about getting a mortgage on your home from a different lender?  Leave the 6-plex out of the equation (with the bank, anyway).   Not sure if it's called a home equity loan if they are getting a first.  Primary 15-20yr rates could be better than 4.5%.  Mine's a 2-fam, 15-yr at 3.375%.

    That is all predicated on you being ok with leveraging your home of course, @Jon Begley  May be able to get the whole $160k if you want to.  Congrats on having a paid off home, btw.  That's awesome!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.