Portfolio lender for 1st time buyer/investor?

15 Replies

Hello all,

I'm in the (dreadfully slow) process of getting approved for an FHA loan through a conventional lender, and am wondering if it would be better, or maybe easier/quicker to just try and go through a portfolio lender?

How different is the process?  I know they won't just accept every proposal that comes in, but are they noticeably more stringent than a conventional lender?

It may or may not be helpful to know, but I'm in Nashville, TN, in case anyone has had a positive experience with a portfolio lender in this area.

Thanks so much BP !

- Mark 

I wish I knew.  I was easily approved with another lender back in April, but the deal fell through, and I wanted a clean slate with a different bank.  It's going on two months, and I haven't even been pre-approved.  I'm looking to move out of my apt in December. I know there's some time, but I'd hate to be rushing to find a property at the last minute.

I'm thinking it's just the particular lender, but I was just curious about some other options.

-Mark

Two months just to get preapproved is unacceptable to me. I would start the process with another bank. 

FHA is already a longer process than conventional due to the extra things the govt needs to insure the loan. If the bank is dragging its feet right now i would expect it to take 4-5 months to close after finding a property. Start over now before you get too far into the process with them.

Thanks guys, 

I can be impatient sometimes, but I knew this was not this case in this situation!

Realistically you can get pre-approved within 42-78 hours depending how backed up underwriters are and how quickly you get them all the documents they need. If it takes more than 5 days for a full pre-approval I would move on to a new lender. 

Updated about 6 years ago

48-72 hours ;)

Call Chris Haynes at Peoples Home Equity in Mt Juliet 

(615) 288-4452 he will approve or not in a day or two. Your FHA loan will be a much lower interest rate than a portfolio lender. If you need a portfolio guy in Nashville call Phillip Vance at First Freedom Bank 615-470-1345 but it will be 1%-1.5% higher interest rate. Good Luck!

@Mark Douglas  Unless there is something on your credit or income, you should be able to get an pre-approval right away. I turn around my pre-approvals within 12 hrs.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

@Craig Stahl :

(615) 288-4452 he will approve or not in a day or two. Your FHA loan will be a much lower interest rate than a portfolio lender. If you need a portfolio guy in Nashville call Phillip Vance at First Freedom Bank 615-470-1345 but it will be 1%-1.5% higher interest rate. Good Luck!

Thanks a million, Chris !

@Upen that's a great turnaround.   I can wait a few days, but certainly not this long. 

Thanks everybody !! 

Originally posted by @Craig Stahl :

Sorry, meant Craig* !

Pre approval shouldn't take any time at all. I started the process once with a bank, they took more than 3 days to pre approve me and so I went to a different bank because 3 days is too long for a pre approval. 

FHA loans are more paper work and do take longer but not THAT much longer.

Your interest rate on an FHA will be lower, however; if you don't put down 20% your mortgage insurance is going to be quite high!

A good portfolio lender that I have worked with was Cedar Stone bank here in the greater Nashville area. If you're interested give them a call.

Good luck.

@Luka  thanks for the referral.  I've started the process with People's Home Equity (the one Craig threw out earlier)

We kept missing each others call today, so I'm expecting to hear back tomorrow.

Thanks again, I'll have to look into Cedar Stone.