How to boost credit before applying for a loan...

How to boost credit before applying for a loan...

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 56 votes

Hello all, 

I just went through this personally so I thought I would share it for anyone else who might benefit. I don't get anything out of this besides knowing it helped someone else. I had good credit but I wanted EXCELLENT credit before applying for a $400K refinance. We all know the difference between 4.2 interest rate and 4.85 can be huge. Especially on a big loan like the ones necessary in California. I read up on it on the myfico forums, it made perfect sense to me, so I said what the hell. Here was my situation, and the steps I took. 

Credit Score 709-720 (between the big three)

All bills paid on time

1 AMEX card at with $16K limit nearly maxed out (this was the problem) at 17% APR

After reading up on this, I quickly realized that my credit card being at 90% of it's max was my big problem. The magic number is 20% or lower for your score to be at it's best. However, I wasn't prepared to drop $12-14K out of my savings to pay it down, because when I apply for a loan they will look at your savings account to make sure you have reserves to make at least 3-6 payments worth in there. What to do?

LendingClub.com to the rescue. I don't know these people, nor promote them, but this was the easiest damn loan I ever got in my life. I applied online for a $12K loan or so at like 7 percent over 5 years and I think the whole process took 4 days. I took a picture of my utility bill to prove I was who I said I was and that was about it for verification of funds. 

I got the money wired right into my bank account, and quickly put it all on my credit card (don't close out your credit card!) I had a couple grand left on the balance. Within ONE MONTH my credit score jumped from 709-720 range to 769-780 range!

The reason is simple, credit card debt is the worst kind of debt on your credit score. The loan that I took from Lendingclub is just seen as a $225 payment every month. Like a car loan. One last thing to note is the reason I chose to pay it off over 5 years and pay 7% interest instead of 3 years and 5%, is because the MONTHLY PAYMENT would look lower when the lender checked my debt to income ratio. I rather them see a $225 payment instead of a $400 payment that they would use directly against what I can afford as a monthly payment for the mortgage. I of course will pay off the LendingClub loan in 3 years since I'll have more money available from a lower mortgage payment on the refinance. 

Hope this helped somebody. I think they loan up to $35K and you need at least a 620 credit score I think. 

4Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Curtis H.:

Hello all, 

After reading up on this, I quickly realized that my credit card being at 90% of it's max was my big problem. The magic number is 20% or lower for your score to be at it's best.  

Pretty close to spot on. I don't have access to FICO's secret algorithms, but the software we use which was built by folks trying their best to reverse engineer said algorithms, which I've played with extensively, shows the 'sweet spot' at 1% to 14.49% of utilization for credit card accounts, for almost all credit scenarios. 

  • It's actually "less than 15%," but I discovered that it rounds up, so 14.49% to be safe... 14.6% will code as 15%, which is not "less than" 15% even though it actually is less than 15%.
  • Under 1%, according to the software we use, is the same as no balance/utilization for FICO scoring purposes. 
  • The Credco software we use, and I, make no warranty that their efforts to reverse engineer have been successful. This just represents their best effort. 
  • If you don't actually need/want to use credit, just buy your significant other something nice once a month, and pay the balance off in full as soon as the bill comes. You will pay no interest if you do this.

I do like the creative solution of using lendingclub.com to solve FICO issues, but folks with tight DTI should be careful. A credit card's i/o payment will often/usually be less than an amortized lendingclub.com payment. Folks should be careful that they don't solve a FICO problem by introducing a DTI problem.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 38 votes
    9y
    so, is it better to have 4 cards at 15% of the limit than 1 at 60% and 3 at 0%? even if the monthly payment ends up being the same amount?
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    @Miguel Nava

    I am no credit expert but from what I have read, it's what percentage of the max you are at with each card that matters. Try to keep each card at 20% or below, and you are in good shape. What they are trying to determine is if you are relying heavily on those cards in everyday life. I can see why that would make them nervous.

  • Rental Property Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Miguel Nava if the limits on the cards are all the same, the scenarios you described are the same, as far as credit score is concerned. They are looking at total credit utilized/total credit available, and this number should under 20% (under 10% ideally).

  • Washington, IL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    I spoke with a mortgage lender mid 2016 and was told that according to their loan policies I could have no more than 30% on each card.  It did make a difference if any one card balance was at a higher percentage than that.  

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    It's called the "utilization ratio", and used by the credit bureaus to adjust your credit score.  There are different thresholds - 50% and 80%. Meaning, that if you have a credit limit of $10,000 and your balance is $7,500 - your utilization ratio is 75%.  Keep it below 50% to get the best/highest credit score. But DON'T CLOSE THE ACCOUNT!  That will kill your score.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 38 votes
    9y
    Thanks everyone for your replies!
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Good stuff. I'm stuck. My bottom score Experian is 572, middle 613 and 620. I been trying to get some tradelines added to boost my score but they can be costly. I been wondering about Lending Club. Do they do a hard pull? What's the difference between them and Lending Tree?

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    In order to achieve your maximum Fico score you should allow a balance of exactly $2 to report on only ONE card. If maximizing you score is a priority you should pay your entire bill BEFORE your monthly score cuts with the exception of allowing the $2 to report on one account. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Curtis H.:

    Hello all, 

    After reading up on this, I quickly realized that my credit card being at 90% of it's max was my big problem. The magic number is 20% or lower for your score to be at it's best.  

    Pretty close to spot on. I don't have access to FICO's secret algorithms, but the software we use which was built by folks trying their best to reverse engineer said algorithms, which I've played with extensively, shows the 'sweet spot' at 1% to 14.49% of utilization for credit card accounts, for almost all credit scenarios. 

    • It's actually "less than 15%," but I discovered that it rounds up, so 14.49% to be safe... 14.6% will code as 15%, which is not "less than" 15% even though it actually is less than 15%.
    • Under 1%, according to the software we use, is the same as no balance/utilization for FICO scoring purposes. 
    • The Credco software we use, and I, make no warranty that their efforts to reverse engineer have been successful. This just represents their best effort. 
    • If you don't actually need/want to use credit, just buy your significant other something nice once a month, and pay the balance off in full as soon as the bill comes. You will pay no interest if you do this.

    I do like the creative solution of using lendingclub.com to solve FICO issues, but folks with tight DTI should be careful. A credit card's i/o payment will often/usually be less than an amortized lendingclub.com payment. Folks should be careful that they don't solve a FICO problem by introducing a DTI problem.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gwinnett Co., GA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks, Curtis, on some tips on how to get your credit score up, excellent to hear. Unfortunately, I carry too much credit card debt and realize that. I've been trying to pay mine down. It's the debt ratios that matter like some others here have posted regarding credit scores. Thanks for the tips with getting your FICO up, I may be looking for another mortgage/refi within 2 years myself. I'm definitely on the borrowing side for now and am still researching my options. 

    Answering Koritas' question, I have never used a Peer-to-Peer lending service (P2P) such as LendingClub but I'm familiar with how they work and others I know who have used LendingClub like their service overall. And I know they are quick to loan, once you are approved. I know we now have a lot of P2P lenders to choose from in the 2010s or so. I think I only learned about P2P lending as a term within the past 2 years or 3 years. As an example with Lending Club, you could use them as a lender yourself to lend money in transactions.  

    Lending Club offers more with personal loans or auto loans (borrowing up to 40K), whereas Lending Tree is geared towards a borrower shopping around for a mortgage. I personally haven't used Lending Tree in a very long time, so I don't know more about the good and bad with it recently.

    Thanks for sharing, Curtis.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Marnie L,

    Did the Peer2Peer lenders do a hard pull or just do a soft and tell you what they think you were qualified for?

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 56 votes
    9y
    Chris Mason I hear you on DTI and being careful. That's why I chose the more expensive option at a 5 year loan. I wanted to keep that payment low when they analyze the DTI. For my situation it worked perfect. Koritas Jones I'm not sure if it was a hard pull but I would assume it is. I will check my activity to see if they did or not.
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    @Koritas Jones

    I just checked and yes they did a hard pull on Transunion only.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    Just an update...Still going up. 

    As of today I am at 772, 786, 786

    This works people.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    9y

    I don't see this any different than loan consolidation programs that lot of smaller banks and credit unions offer. A family member recently went through it. He had a few hundred on this card.. a few grand on that card. all scattered over the place. He got it all consolidated under one roof and just pays one loan to the CU at a much lower interest rate. WIN-WIN from the way I see it. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    @Chinmay J.

    Yep you are spot on. This is a solution for people who's only real issue is credit card debt. Which is a large portion of people. Many people pay their bills on time, they just went too far with the credit cards. Easy fix and can pay off big time like it's about to for me when I refinance a $400K loan at the best rate available.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Curtis H.:

    @Chinmay J.

    Yep you are spot on. This is a solution for people who's only real issue is credit card debt. Which is a large portion of people. Many people pay their bills on time, they just went too far with the credit cards. Easy fix and can pay off big time like it's about to for me when I refinance a $400K loan at the best rate available.

    Yeah !! For a lot of people the real issue, however, is lack of self discipline, poor money management. Sure bad things like illness and job loss can happen and ruin your credit, and I sympathize with that, but how many people get stuck in a vicious cycle of one bad decision leading to another, and are never able to come out of it is mind boggling - all due to their poor life choices. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.