Bought Cash - Need to Finance Rehab Cost

Bought Cash - Need to Finance Rehab Cost

Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes

Hi, 

I got my first rehab deal under contract. I'm buying the property cash, and need to finance the rehab cost.

I wanted to finance the whole deal, but I don't have a track record. Would private lenders consider me as I will be paying cash for the property, and just need the rehab cost without a track record?

I do have experience. I was a project manager for a GC and a general manager for a real estate investing company. 

My goal is to build a track record.

Thanks,

0Reply
11 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Clayton PlankPro Member
    Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2012 · 122 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    @Eric Percival, how much rehab are you needing. If the house is worth it they should loan on the house as a first lender as you are paying cash and don't have a mortgage or other liens.

  • Lender · Western Springs, IL · Member since 2015 · 472 posts · 245 votes
    9y

    @Eric Percival Is the home in decent shape? Anything major wrong - structural or safety-wise? You may be able to get a loan on it now. How much did you buy it for?

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Purchased price $55,100.

    Rehab Cost: $50,000

    ARV: 160,000

    The property is consider an unsafe structure by the city, and has violation due to illegal additions ( one bedroom, and a separate efficiency). There's a lot of rehab that needs to be done. I will submit plans to the city showing the corrections, I would hire a GC just to pull permits, and project manage the rehab myself. I can probably do the rehab for $35,000

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 348 posts · 171 votes
    9y
    With your track record as a contractor and managing projects you shouldn't have a hard time getting a loan to do the work from a private investor. It will be tough from a bank I think if the house is in that bad of shape.
  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @eric percival

    I don't see this as a viable project for a couple of reasons:

    • From the sounds of it ("unsafe structure"), you've got a more extensive renovation (foundation problems maybe) than many private lenders will jump into.
    • Your cost to renovation ratio is way high (100%)

    Good luck though. Sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done.

    Stephanie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.