I came back from my first FHA quote, time for a few questions?

I came back from my first FHA quote, time for a few questions?

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 33 votes

So I went in to a federal credit union yesterday and I was surprised at what she was saying.

I work a 9 to 5 while saving a few grand a month and am trying to get a FHA loan. The idea is to get a 3 or 4 plex so my rent is effectively $0 or close to it. The loan officer told me that their bank didn't do anything more than duplexes and that she didn't know if or how FHA considered incomes from other units within the same purchase, ie the other half of the duplex. She also calculated my numbers and instead of the 5-8k down payment I've heard of other people getting, she quoted me 22k. This is doable but not immediately expected. I noted that she was calculating out all the closing fees (every single one) and adding them in bulk to the down payment. The bank was quoting 3.5%.

Have you guys heard of FHA not handling 3 and 4 plexes, or is that just some screwed up bank policy where this specific bank doesn't want to take the risk of 3 or 4 plexes? I'm looking at trying to get a place that's up to 400k (namely due to a BP podcast where a guy in boston said he was making median income and was approved for that much), what would you expect a down payment to be for this much? Do you know if FHA considers other units in the same property when deciding how much you can afford (assuming I'm living in one of the units)?

0Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Brendon K.,

    She's just not REI friendly, combined with an overlay or two. That's OK, not everyone is an expert at everything. For example I have no idea in the world how to do a mortgage for someone that doesn't know what a PDF is, and I'm also much better at trying to shove everyone into Agency 30YF with good interest rates, than I am at the HML game. This means there are folks that I'm not a good fit for ("I don't file tax returns, and the PDF format is an Illuminati mind control conspiracy"), and that's ok.

    In your case, the scratch you want itched is rental income as qualifying income on a 3-4 unit property using an FHA loan. I'd say in this case it is time to find someone local to you that is able to accommodate that.

    If I need some concrete poured, there's no guarantee that the first GC I talk to will be particularly knowledgeable about that particular task. That's all that happened here, no big deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.