Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y
@Dan Hoehn if you are not occupying the property the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac minimum down payment requirement on a 2-4 unit property is 25% down. If you occupy the property the minimum is 15% down. A bank is allowed to be more strict than this (so 30% down if they wanted to require it) but they are not allowed to be less strict. The alternative here would be to use a "portfolio" loan. A portfolio loan falls outside of the Fannie/Freddie guidelines because it's terms come from the bank itself. It is money from the bank's portfolio of money...thus the name. However, if you find a portfolio loan that does allow 20% down then you will pay a difference in the rate being higher, or the rate might be adjustable, or it might be a shorter term (which will make your payment higher) and sometimes it's all three of these features. This may not be what you want to hear but it's the right information to have. If you have more questions feel free to ask. Thanks!
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y
@Dan Hoehn if you are not occupying the property the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac minimum down payment requirement on a 2-4 unit property is 25% down. If you occupy the property the minimum is 15% down. A bank is allowed to be more strict than this (so 30% down if they wanted to require it) but they are not allowed to be less strict. The alternative here would be to use a "portfolio" loan. A portfolio loan falls outside of the Fannie/Freddie guidelines because it's terms come from the bank itself. It is money from the bank's portfolio of money...thus the name. However, if you find a portfolio loan that does allow 20% down then you will pay a difference in the rate being higher, or the rate might be adjustable, or it might be a shorter term (which will make your payment higher) and sometimes it's all three of these features. This may not be what you want to hear but it's the right information to have. If you have more questions feel free to ask. Thanks!
Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 31 votes
9y
Andrew Postell and Brent Coombs thank you for the clarification, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I have heard of other investors in my area securing SFH at 15% and I wasn't sure if regulations were loosening.
Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@Dan Hoehn, getting in for just 15% down for SFR investing is NOT a loosening of Fannie Mae rules, but, if they were to allow that for 2-4 MFRs, then THAT would be!
Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@Andrew Postell , a mortgage broker I am currently using to purchase a SFR told me if I would later like to purchase a 2-4 apartment property I could finance with 20% down. Do I understand you are saying he is incorrect?
Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@Eric James, I just read what Andrew wrote, and he did NOT suggest that your mortgage Broker would be wrong about you being able to finance a 2-4 MFR investment with just 20% down.
BUT, at a higher interest rate? An adjustable interest rate to boot? A shorter term?
I suggest you start now, and save up an extra 5% deposit for when the time comes.
(Or, you could try to find the same portfolio Lender as @Austin Fruechting uses?)...
@Brent Coombs mortgage broker quoted 30 year fixed at 4.125%. Is it that a lender has to require 25% down if they are lending at a certain lower rate?
The devil can be in the detail, but if you can find investment 4-plexes for just 20% down, 4.125% fixed for 30 yrs - but can't find ones that'll cash flow well, how hard are you really trying?
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y
@Eric James are you going to occupy the property? 30 year fixed rate at 4.125% on a multi-family property sounds strange. Something is up with those numbers. It is possible for a bank to offer a 20% down option but it would not be a conventional loan. I would love to speak with that bank. Not only would that be the best rates in Texas, that would be the best rates in the Nation. I have a feeling something was misquoted. Would you mind PM me that bank's info?
Investor · NY · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 24 votes
9y
it may have been covered here but as you may know, if you occupy the property you may consider an FHA loan. typically this would require 3.5% - 5% down payment - as long as you can satisfy the "occupancy" criteria for whatever period of time, could be something worth considering.
Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
We did a deal recently on a multi-family non-owner occupied conventional mortgage from a credit union, where the CU financed 80% LTV the buyer put up 10% and the seller took a second mortgage for 10% and the CU was ok with that arrangement.
Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 56 votes
9y
I'm trying to research, so I apologize if I am hi-jacking this thread.
If I already have an FHA loan on a house with my girlfriend that we have been living in for 3 years, would I be able to qualify for a conventional or FHA loan on a multiple family home with less than 25% down by saying I will live in it (owner-occupy), and actually living in it? I was told no lender would believe that I would live in the multiple family home unless I sold my house.
Basically I found a house I like, and I wasn't really planning to buy an investment property so I don't have any money saved up, but I have my 401k I would borrow from if it would some how make it work out.
But as you can see, Christian HAS run into loan Officers who question his reason for moving. Banks retain their own rights as to who they loan to. Why not "interview" a few different Banks?
There shouldn't be anything "technically" stopping you from getting a new FHA loan once you refinance out of your first one. (But of course, that refi wouldn't be an owner-occupier loan at lowest interest, unless you wanted to see out ANOTHER 12+ months there after refinancing).
How's your current equity situation shaping up? More than 20% already? All the best...
Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 56 votes
9y
@Brent Coombs
if I refinanced out of my current one I would have to pay closing costs again right?
Or could I just deed the house to my girlfriend who bought it with me 3 years ago, would that allow me to do a FHA loan OO for the house with very minimal down?
Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@John Gach, I don't personally recommend that couples should try to skirt the intention of FHA by getting TWO concurrent FHA loans for different addresses, when they clearly live with each other.
Paying a loan fee every time you refi is part of the cost of doing business. Treat Banks as if you were car shopping: ie. research the best value / lowest cost available. Cheers...