Best Option For Me To Finance House Next Door

Best Option For Me To Finance House Next Door

FLL · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 20 votes

Hello, I recently had my next door neighbor knock on my door and asked if I would like to buy the home before it gets listed for sale, and I would bc double lots are very expensive in my neighborhood. Anyways, I own my own business and tax wise, the wife and I only show give or take $15,000/month as we have a decent amount of write-offs + cash,etc. Anyways I bought an expensive rental condo last year and it was a struggle to get a mortgage bc of my income, so I had to put half down. Anyways here is my current assets and liabilities and I want some advice on the best way to purchase the home

Current Residence Value $1.2M debt $200,000

Rental Condo Value $650,000 debt $229,000

Rental home 1 Value $65,000 rented $800/mo cash

Rental home 2 Value $65,000 rented $850/mo cash

Rental home 3 Value $65,000 rented $950/mo cash

Rental home 4 Value $65,000 rented $950/mo cash

Rental home 5 Value $65,000 rented $500/mo(our maid)

Land Value $150,000 rented for $700/mo cash to a car lot

Land Value $150,000 rented for $350/mo to a small hair salon in a 400 sq ft structure

Also have a car financed at $1500/mo, i know i know cars are bad investments, well I have an incurable disease and im not going to live forever, so I put half down on my dream car, its an exotic and should appreciate anyhow, and financed the rest at 1.99% through chase private client.

So my issue is when financing the expensive rental was debt to income, as you can see alot of the rentals I have are lower income rentals and the people pay me in cash. My business has alot of cash too, small name brand franchise business. 

So now the property im looking to buy is $600,000, its basically at lot value, its a 1940s house on a lot, the house is useless and I want the lot to double the size of our lot and its a super prime piece of property in houston. Would you do a home equity loan? Would you do a HELOC? Would you try for a conventional mortgage?

Im just trying to finance this and know that with my taxable income its an issue, but looking at my assets the total properties are almost $2.5M and my debts are $429,000 on 2 mortgages + $70,000 or so remaining on my car. The car if it counts as an asset is still worth $250,000+

So thanks in advance on advice on how to finance this property

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 271 votes
    9y

    @Danny N. I am laughing because I have the same disease with cars. I know they are bad but so tempting that I give in every 15 to 18 months. I keep buying them. Oh well. 

    The properties that you have rented Rental homes 1 through 5. Do you have debt on them or are they free an clear. 

    If they are free and clear. You can get a portfolio loan. Given your equity position in your personal home and all the properties you own $ 600k should not be a big deal. 

    I guess that question is really going to be your Global Debt to Income ratio. Based on the numbers you have here I don't see an issue. May be I am missing something. 

  • FLL · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 20 votes
    9y
    Hey Andrew, no I meant disease as in sickness and I'm on a transplant list :( I love cars too and that's a disease as well! All the rental properties are paid off in cash except the ones listed with debt, the vacation condo is actually leased out at $3500/mo and the total mortgage + taxes + maintenance is around $2800/mo,it's in Miami Beach. So you think it's best to borrow vs the rental homes or vs the main residence or vs the vacation home? I just want the best product with the lowest rate to borrow $600k from my assets. I bank with chase and they're the least creative bank in the world
  • Clarksville , TN · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y
    I'm a new investor and plan on retiring from the military in the next two years. To me your portfolio looks impressive and is exactly where I want to be as I look to supplement my income. How long did it take for you to get to the point your are at now?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.