A Case for Portfolio Lending

A Case for Portfolio Lending

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

All:

I have used the commercial lending space to double my business in the last three years and wanted to share some things that I've learned about portfolio lending and smaller community banks. I currently have 7 figure loans with three different portfolio lenders in my market and another 6 loans with four other local lenders.

Commercial loans typically have shorter amortizations, higher rates, and have balloons but there is also lots of upside for the right investor. Portfolio lenders certainly have their share of underwriting guidelines and boxes that they need to check before giving loans. But in my experience they have much more flexibility than conventional loans. I've been able to cross-collateralize on existing notes, financed no money down deals, and obtained a large unsecured credit line all through smaller community banks. 

Some of these are obvious, but they weren't to me 5 years ago. Maybe these will be of use to you.

1) Find a bank (or banks) that actually value your business:

I wasted way too much time with a larger regional bank who wasn't the right fit for me nor I for them. There are probably banks that want to give you loans, but you have to seek them out. I have seen tremendous variations in underwriting guidelines, rates, and requirements with banks that are literally across the street from one another. Call the 10-15 local banks in your market before you complain about a lack of capital. 

Remember: Banks need to make loans!

2) The smaller the bank, the more I like them:

These small banks actually value my loans and want my business. They know who I am and that helps a lot knowing that the underwriters already have all of my financials on file. Wells Fargo and Bank of America are probably the last 2 places I would go ask for a loan. They don't like residential investing/non W-2 borrowers. So why force a square peg into a round hole?

3) Credit Unions are worth a shot:

Credit Unions are very under utilized within my network of investors. They often have some flexibility on loans that even other small banks can't match. Even with a very large loans (1MM+) they can often get it done with participation from other credit unions. One of the softest underwriting departments in my market is at a tiny Credit Union. They have no seasoning requirements on refinancing on investment property. 

4) Lots of negotiating room:

Despite what I assumed in the beginning, a lot more of the loan and the requirements of commercial lending are negotiable. It seems like just everything in the transaction is. Fees, rate, term, down payment, and balloon are all negotiable depending on the deal and what else you're bringing to the table. They don't like the deal? Offer to move your operating accounts over. They think the risk is too high? You can offer a 3 year CD as collateral. It's mostly negotiable and doesn't hurt to ask. Plus it's fun to get creative.

5) Most of my lenders ride by the property first:

Another reason to buy in great locations. Most of my lenders drive by the property to make sure it's in a location they're comfortable with. Losing money on any loan is a big deal to a small bank and they want to get it right. One of my lenders actually does the inspections on all of the construction loans. He personally shows up in a suit and tie to verify the work being done.

Portfolio lending is probably not ideal for somebody who wants to put their business on cruise control. The balloons and rate adjustments can be obstacle for sure. It can, however, be a great fit for an investor seeking growth and flexibility. 

One of the best habits buy and hold investors can commit to is regularly seeking out new lenders. 

9Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
9y

@Will Gaston

I have a local partner in Cleveland.  I will probably bird dog the situation over the phone and then send him in to meet the bank.  I agree, thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
    9y

    @Will Gaston

    That's great information and I agree with you completely.  I am trying to find financing on 60 properties and have had a tough time.  I appreciate the time it took you to write down your pointers and I will use them to call around Cleveland Ohio in the near future!

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Darren Eady:

    @Will Gaston

    That's great information and I agree with you completely.  I am trying to find financing on 60 properties and have had a tough time.  I appreciate the time it took you to write down your pointers and I will use them to call around Cleveland Ohio in the near future!

    I think one of the hurdles to using these types of banks is that they typically would like for you to be local or to have some type of tie to their area. I know friends that have had success with going to a little bit larger of a bank (think one with 20-30 branches) within the state. They may have a little bit more flexibility on where you're located, but may want stricter terms in exchange for that. Usually helpful to be local, though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
    9y

    @Will Gaston

    I have a local partner in Cleveland.  I will probably bird dog the situation over the phone and then send him in to meet the bank.  I agree, thanks!

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    That's great @Darren Eady. I think the local partner would likely be good enough for most banks. What kind of purchase price is the project?

  • Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
    9y

    @Will Gaston

    These properties are valued between $45k - $110k each, but there are 55 performing properties around Cleveland.  We have debt service on them now and they are performing at a higher rate of interest for us.  We would like to lower the interest rate without paying too much in fees or taking on a pre-payment penalty so portfolio lenders like Visio Lending and Lima One are out.  We really need a few local banks or Credit Unions to take on 10 each.  There is a local bank already approving us now for about six properties.

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Darren Eady I think it would probably be worth your time to call the 2 or 3 biggest credit unions in Cleveland. The loan for all of your properties would most likely be too big for any of them to take down, but the originating credit unions typically (at least in SC) offer participation for other credit unions that would get involved in the loan. If you and your deal is a good risk and you ask enough banks, somebody will likely say yes.

    I don't like Lima One and the like specifically because of their high prepayment penalties. It's not something I thought about until I learned the hard way. I had a 3% pre-pay on large loan this year with a community bank and it cost about 25k to get out early. I certainly pay attention to that now.

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    Great info @Will Gaston you are crushing in these recent posts

    I, too, went with a commercial loan from a smaller community bank for my first buy-and-hold and had a positive experience. You're right in that they def value each client/loan more and have more flexibility. Since you touched briefly on the difference(s) between commercial and traditional financing, can you elaborate further on your thoughts which is better/worse for an investor looking to actively grow their portfolio?

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael Lee It's been my experience that my commercial lenders rely more on the asset than they do the borrower. The borrower still has plenty to do with it, but not as much as with a residential and/or conventional lender. If the borrower doesn't have the perfect overall DTI or tax returns, but the deal may still be approved if it has a low LTV, great location, and great debt service coverage. This is particularly helpful if you're self-employed and don't have the standard W-2 income that most banks want.

    What was your experience with your community bank?

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Will Gaston Understood...makes sense

    I went with First Palmetto Bank mainly bc I knew the commercial banker and met/talked to him several times before I was even ready to purchase. He gave me some good initial advice on what they look for on investment properties as well as the steps I should take as I got ready to purchase, e.g. opening a business checking account with the bank, which is obviously minor but still established the relationship. From that point, I just found the deal, got it under contract, and he took care of the rest. It was (surprisingly) a very smooth process without any real hiccups.

    I'll add onto your advice about investors constantly seeking out new lenders and say that for any new investor, even if you're not necessarily ready to purchase in the immediate future, take the small but necessary steps on the front end so the actual process is that much easier.

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Excellent point @Michael Lee. Buying property can be much less stressful if you have the financing and your financials in place before you get the property under contract. Much easier if you've done some of the leg work up front. 

    Investors that make it a habit of talking to others that buy, sell, and lend on real estate regularly will usually prosper.

  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    This is good stuff! I had lunch with a great local banker yesterday in the Atlanta market and plan to work with them going forward. Community banks are definitely helpful for building out a large portfolio.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    This is great information and timely for me.  Thank you for writing this and sharing your knowledge and experience.

  • Specialist · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2020 · 200 posts · 105 votes
    5y

    I know its an old post but great read. Thanks for sharing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.