First time home buyer - FHA loan or 20% down?

First time home buyer - FHA loan or 20% down?

New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hello fellow BP'ers!

I am currently considering purchasing my first property. The property that I am looking to purchase will be in the 500k range and I currently DO have the 100k 20% down required.

Since I am a first time home buyer - should I be considering getting an FHA loan for this same apartment and only put 3.5% down and use the rest of my capital in another RE transaction?

In any of the two cases an additional question I have for you BP'ers is that because this is my first property, should I always live in it for a year for the loan to be considered "owner occupied", for the better interest rates / Down payment differences?

Note that I currently live with family, so if I end up living in the property that I purchase instead of renting it right away, it is especially for the purchase to be considered Owner Occupied.

I would love to get any and all of your incites!

Best regards,

Tomer

0Reply
22 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Any advise guys? Would greatly appreciate any input :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 160 votes
    9y

    Tom, this is a debate on risk in my opinion and is something YOU have to decide yourself, but I'll try to help weigh the pros and cons:

    FHA:

    Pros: Get in for significantly less capital --> use remaining capital to buy another property

    Cons: Higher debt amount, if property values fall, you'll be "under water". You'll have higher monthly mortgage payments, which will reduce your cash flow (but almost certainly a higher Cash-on-Cash return).

    PMI payments

    Ultimately, you'll only get in to trouble on the FHA after you move out and the market experiences a downturn and your rents drop.

    Traditional:

    Essentially switch the pros and cons from FHA. Biggest benefits are no PMI, and having more equity in a property significantly protects you in a downturn. You lose a property when your monthly payments exceed your cash flow and that occurs if you monthly payment is too high and the rents are too low.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    If it is intended to be a rental property, which you can rent for a minimum of $4500/month, leverage will definatly be to your advantage if you can still produce positive cash flow. If 20% down is required to produce descent cash flow then it is not worth investing in the property.

    Do your numbers based on a hypothetical 100% financing and if you still get positive cash flow take the FHA loan otherwise walk away.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Thomas S. Hi Thomas, thanks for your input!

    To confirm, you suggest that in a hypothetical situation whereby 100% financing produces positive cashflow, take the FHA, move into this property for a year, take the loss then move out and start renting?

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Yes, but you do not need to take a up front loss if you can rent out rooms while you are living in the property.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Also, depending on what area of the country you are looking, the strength of the offer matters. Out here in the Bay Area, where there is a lot of cash to go around and offers are typically above list, the more down you put the stronger your offer looks, and the higher percentage that you're offer will get selected over the other dozen offers. We put down 25% into our current primary residence for that very reason.

  • Real Estate Investor · Spring Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 288 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    listen to @Thomas S.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.