Loan interest so high, running into the wall now.

Loan interest so high, running into the wall now.

Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes

Hi All, I felt like being defeated and have no idea how can I make it work. I talked to multiple local banks who told me that base on my loan to debt ratio, I am only qualified for the loan amount of 100k . I am in the market that even a mobile home will cost more than 100k, SFH normally is 250k ish. So I after some network and searching, I found a couple of financial lenders that will qualified me for 350K. I was very excited and thought I finally can move forward a little bit. this weekend, I found a duplex, and submitted an offer, thinking it's such a good deal since the numbers works. however when I went though the numbers in depth with lenders, I discovered that the interest rate will be 6.5% if I put down 15%, unless I put 30% down,I will get 5.75%. I wasn't prepared for it and I sure don't have that 30%. my calculation was base on 5% interest rate, now the extra 1.5% eat up big chunk of my profit. lucky me that I was bale to exit due to counter offer. But now, I am back to the start point and don't know what shall I do next step. keep looking for a better rate? or looking at a different market? Please guide, thank you all!

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
7y

You might want to look in a different Market.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    You might want to look in a different Market.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Ashley, maybe the timing isn't right. You can force a deal to happen but why bother if it won't be a good one when it's done.  Even more important than knowing what to buy is knowing when not to buy.  Take the time to save some money to pay some debt down or find a partner who would like to be part of an investment.  I hope you'll redefine that feeling of "defeat" for one of "dodged that financial bullet" - and find another way to achieve your goals.  No one said investing was easy - just worth it.  

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 486 posts · 216 votes
    7y

    If numbers makes no sense then don't buy it. Your area probably has very low cap rate due to huge demand and everyone wanting to buy and pay top dollar. 

    So if cap rate is 6% and you borrowing at 6% then you won't make much money unless the rents are going to rise.

    You should try to renegotiate or look in a different area with higher return

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    You could find a partner, go to your local REI groups. Share your experience and knowledge and learn from them. There are always options. Read @Brandon Turners book on How to invest in Real estate. 

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    You might want to look in a different Market.

     Hi john, thank you for your opinion. That’s what I thought. Do you have suggestions on which market should I looking at. Thanks again!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Ashley Zhang  Where are you in Colorado?  Try looking at neighbouring states.

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Patricia Steiner:

    Ashley, maybe the timing isn't right. You can force a deal to happen but why bother if it won't be a good one when it's done.  Even more important than knowing what to buy is knowing when not to buy.  Take the time to save some money to pay some debt down or find a partner who would like to be part of an investment.  I hope you'll redefine that feeling of "defeat" for one of "dodged that financial bullet" - and find another way to achieve your goals.  No one said investing was easy - just worth it.  

     Hi Patricia, there were few things you pointed out that very valuable! Once there is a property available, Everyone jumped onto it even if the number doesn’t make sense. This is the time I definitely need to know when to buy. Thank you so much!

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 133 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Zhang is this an owner occupied/ house hack purchase or straight investment? What is your DTI and what types of debt do you carry? You will not want to overextend yourself and have no cash reserves for vacancies and capex. 100->350 is a big jump and I would question the lenders motives quoting the 350, likely borrowing up to 350k will leave you cash poor, not a place you want to be in. Best bed is to settle your current financial situation and find a way to lower DTI.

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Roman M.:

    If numbers makes no sense then don't buy it. Your area probably has very low cap rate due to huge demand and everyone wanting to buy and pay top dollar. 

    So if cap rate is 6% and you borrowing at 6% then you won't make much money unless the rents are going to rise.

    You should try to renegotiate or look in a different area with higher return

     Good point! Our cap rate I think is lower than 6%. It’s a small market, but lots of demand. The property I gave up went under contract right away. So impossible to negotiate. I am considering a different market now. Thanks!

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joseph H.:

    You could find a partner, go to your local REI groups. Share your experience and knowledge and learn from them. There are always options. Read @Brandon Turners book on How to invest in Real estate. 

     Hi joe, I was thinking about that too. But I felt find a good partner is even more difficult than finding a deal. Any suggestions? Thanks!

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Will C.:

    @Ashley Zhang is this an owner occupied/ house hack purchase or straight investment? What is your DTI and what types of debt do you carry? You will not want to overextend yourself and have no cash reserves for vacancies and capex. 100->350 is a big jump and I would question the lenders motives quoting the 350, likely borrowing up to 350k will leave you cash poor, not a place you want to be in. Best bed is to settle your current financial situation and find a way to lower DTI.

    Hi Will, I am looking for straight investment. My DTI is 33%. I have some savings from the past for down payment. However, my current income breakeven with expenses each month, so there is no way to put extra aside for investment. I was looking for a property that can generate enough cash flow to cover the expenses. However, no good luck. I don't know how where can I start now? Thank you Will!

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    @Ashley Zhang  Where are you in Colorado?  Try looking at neighbouring states.

     That will be my next step. Thanks Theresa!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chubbuck, ID · Member since 2018 · 532 posts · 466 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ashley Zhang:

    Hi All, I felt like being defeated and have no idea how can I make it work. I talked to multiple local banks who told me that base on my loan to debt ratio, I am only qualified for the loan amount of 100k . I am in the market that even a mobile home will cost more than 100k, SFH normally is 250k ish. So I after some network and searching, I found a couple of financial lenders that will qualified me for 350K. I was very excited and thought I finally can move forward a little bit. this weekend, I found a duplex, and submitted an offer, thinking it's such a good deal since the numbers works. however when I went though the numbers in depth with lenders, I discovered that the interest rate will be 6.5% if I put down 15%, unless I put 30% down,I will get 5.75%. I wasn't prepared for it and I sure don't have that 30%. my calculation was base on 5% interest rate, now the extra 1.5% eat up big chunk of my profit. lucky me that I was bale to exit due to counter offer. But now, I am back to the start point and don't know what shall I do next step. keep looking for a better rate? or looking at a different market? Please guide, thank you all!

     It sounds like you are not ready to invest yet. You need to pay off consumer debt and save a larger down pmt. if you sell a car you might be able to have the down pmt and lower your dti, or you could just not force it and keep saving and paying down debt and wait for the next deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 133 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Zhang

    Your DTI isn't that high, but maybe it is for the market your trying to enter. Need to find a way to save more, so raise income or cut expenses. Or find a market that aligns with your current cash position.

    Remember, If you find a good deal that perfoms well, your DTI should actually improve.

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Craig Jeppesen:
    Originally posted by @Ashley Zhang:

    Hi All, I felt like being defeated and have no idea how can I make it work. I talked to multiple local banks who told me that base on my loan to debt ratio, I am only qualified for the loan amount of 100k . I am in the market that even a mobile home will cost more than 100k, SFH normally is 250k ish. So I after some network and searching, I found a couple of financial lenders that will qualified me for 350K. I was very excited and thought I finally can move forward a little bit. this weekend, I found a duplex, and submitted an offer, thinking it's such a good deal since the numbers works. however when I went though the numbers in depth with lenders, I discovered that the interest rate will be 6.5% if I put down 15%, unless I put 30% down,I will get 5.75%. I wasn't prepared for it and I sure don't have that 30%. my calculation was base on 5% interest rate, now the extra 1.5% eat up big chunk of my profit. lucky me that I was bale to exit due to counter offer. But now, I am back to the start point and don't know what shall I do next step. keep looking for a better rate? or looking at a different market? Please guide, thank you all!

     It sounds like you are not ready to invest yet. You need to pay off consumer debt and save a larger down pmt. if you sell a car you might be able to have the down pmt and lower your dti, or you could just not force it and keep saving and paying down debt and wait for the next deal.

     HI Craig, thank you for your opinion! my primary residential mortgage is my only debt. but I don't have a high income job compare to nation wide I guess, due to i am living in a small city with high demanding in properties. so the average income here is lower than national average, but the property here is higher. I agree that I need to figure out a way to increase my down payment. thanks Craig! 

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Will C.:

    @Ashley Zhang

    Your DTI isn't that high, but maybe it is for the market your trying to enter. Need to find a way to save more, so raise income or cut expenses. Or find a market that aligns with your current cash position.

    Remember, If you find a good deal that perfoms well, your DTI should actually improve.

    HI Will, thank you for the tips! I agree with you 100%! I was hoping find a property to improve my DTI, however it's impossible in my current market. I'll need to look at somewhere else, thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I vaguely remember your pain, my first rental was bought owner hold @ 19% & I had to rent every room to make it work.

    I had a great income as an Engineer & I did see some appreciation but it was the rents that kept me afloat while I rehabbed each property & I just kept buying. Then as prices rose I had to take on partners to keep buying & again rents were the only thing keeping me financially viable. I actually drove a vehicle no-one would be seen dead in so my social life was null & void & I picked up a lot of electrical & construction work at night on other properties to pocket some cash.

    Hang in there!!!

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    I vaguely remember your pain, my first rental was bought owner hold @ 19% & I had to rent every room to make it work.

    I had a great income as an Engineer & I did see some appreciation but it was the rents that kept me afloat while I rehabbed each property & I just kept buying. Then as prices rose I had to take on partners to keep buying & again rents were the only thing keeping me financially viable. I actually drove a vehicle no-one would be seen dead in so my social life was null & void & I picked up a lot of electrical & construction work at night on other properties to pocket some cash.

    Hang in there!!!

     Hi Pat, your story is so inspiring! you have to do what you have to do! I think I didn't really put myself in that desperate position. thank you for sharing and hope things will get better for you too!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Ashley Zhang that was back in the 80's & I still regret those I sold to stay afloat. I just kept plugging away & retired in 1998 to take care of all we accumulated & continue to add to our portfolio. REI earnings have been exponential!!!

  • Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Pat L. Great advice! 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Zhang Have you looked at options such as house hacking? Once you find a partner that works with you and you two are on the same page, the work you put into funding them will pay off in multiple ways. Both would grow in both knowledge, experience, and wealth. 

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    @Ashley Zhang that was back in the 80's & I still regret those I sold to stay afloat. I just kept plugging away & retired in 1998 to take care of all we accumulated & continue to add to our portfolio. REI earnings have been exponential!!!

     thank you Pat! your story is very inspiring!  

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joseph H.:

    @Ashley Zhang Have you looked at options such as house hacking? Once you find a partner that works with you and you two are on the same page, the work you put into funding them will pay off in multiple ways. Both would grow in both knowledge, experience, and wealth. 

     Hi joe, I were thinking about the house hacking. but I cannot find the ideal property to house hacking so far since I have depends and I am not quite comfortable with rend out bedrooms, unless it's multifamily. finding the multifamily to buy in my market like finding lives in the desert. but I haven't gave up yet, still looking. thanks!!!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Zhang That leaves you with a handful of options. I would start reading books on RE and network with your local REIGs. 

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joseph H.:

    @Ashley Zhang That leaves you with a handful of options. I would start reading books on RE and network with your local REIGs. 

     HI Joe, I am glad you mentioned that. I love reading business and Re books. I am listening to the podcast as long as I have time. With a 1.5 year-old and another one one the way, it's hard to find extra time for myself, but I commit to do it! thank you! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.