Are there really lenders that let you Refinance after 4 months?

Are there really lenders that let you Refinance after 4 months?

Oceanside, CA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 18 votes

So in David Green's book "BRRRR" he mentions that banks will let you refi after 4-6 months. I have seen lenders that do the 6 mo refi, but haven't seen the 4 month at all. I am prepared to keep reaching out to as many as I need to, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has been able to refi at 4 months. thanks.

1Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Carl Mccrory:

So in David Green's book "BRRRR" he mentions that banks will let you refi after 4-6 months. I have seen lenders that do the 6 mo refi, but haven't seen the 4 month at all. I am prepared to keep reaching out to as many as I need to, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has been able to refi at 4 months. thanks.

 If you want the Fannie Mae subsidy for your interest rate and fees, you have to play by her rules. For a cash out refinance using the new ARV (but not other refinances), 6 months on title is the general requirement. 

In practice, I've yet to meet a first timer pull the rehab portion of a BRRRR off in less than six months anyways. In all probability this isn't what you should be worried about. Worry not, on your first BRRRR the contractor delays will push it past six months (you got 3 bids and picked the cheapest, didn't ya?), and contractor cost overruns (yeah, about the credibility of that cheapest bid...) will ensure it's over budget to boot. :)

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Carl Mccrory, very, very rare. Don't count on it. If you find a lender who will do it, let the rest of us know!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jaysen Medhurst

    I've refinanced in literally 2 weeks since the property was deeded in my name. Call small local community banks. The larger ones are usually a waste of time.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Carl Mccrory:

    So in David Green's book "BRRRR" he mentions that banks will let you refi after 4-6 months. I have seen lenders that do the 6 mo refi, but haven't seen the 4 month at all. I am prepared to keep reaching out to as many as I need to, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has been able to refi at 4 months. thanks.

     If you want the Fannie Mae subsidy for your interest rate and fees, you have to play by her rules. For a cash out refinance using the new ARV (but not other refinances), 6 months on title is the general requirement. 

    In practice, I've yet to meet a first timer pull the rehab portion of a BRRRR off in less than six months anyways. In all probability this isn't what you should be worried about. Worry not, on your first BRRRR the contractor delays will push it past six months (you got 3 bids and picked the cheapest, didn't ya?), and contractor cost overruns (yeah, about the credibility of that cheapest bid...) will ensure it's over budget to boot. :)

  • Nathan CrossBusiness Member
    Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 146 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @Chris Mason I called 20 smaller banks ion my surrounding area and found 2 that would work with investors, refi and keep in the LLC name, but no earlier than 12 months.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Nathan Cross 

    If you refinance with a commercial loan there is no seasoning. Conduct your rehab, find a tenant and refinance. Since you mentioned an LLC you will need commercial financing anyway.

  • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 417 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Carl Mccrory at 90 days you can refi using appraised value up to 75LTV with private lender.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    7y

    @Carl Mccrory, if the purchase transaction satisfies Fannie's Delayed Financing Exception, you can CO-refi anytime.  Any lender who writes conforming loans should be able to handle these.

    The downside is that rehab investment $ will be parked as equity until you do a seasoned CO-refi, non-conforming CO-refi, or sell.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    I've refinanced many properties before the 6 month period. You are just limited to what LTV they will do for you. PM me for lender contact.

  • Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 180 votes
    7y

    @Carl Mccrory, as @Chris Mason said, if you are ONLY looking at a Fannie loan, then you have to play by those rules. I work with private institutional lenders. I would say at least half of my clients are utilizing the BRRR strategy and we are regularly refinancing at full value at the 90-day mark.

    I have found that when an investor is trying to use a loan product for something that it is not designed to do, and they are dead set on using that loan product, then the investor ends up doing things in the project that the project was not originally designed to do.  

  • Oceanside, CA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    Thanks everybody for the replies and info. Good to know there are more options available.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Carl Mccrory:

    Thanks everybody for the replies and info. Good to know there are more options available.

     Just to chime in, there are various levels of lending with Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac at the top.  Those loans have very specific requirements, full income documentation, seasoning on title and myriad other guidelines.  Because the risk is lower (because the borrower met all the guidelines), the rate and cost is lower.

    The next level would be portfolio lenders.  Still institutional, but with relaxed guidelines (no income verification, reduced seasoning to use the appraised value among others) the rate and cost is higher.

    Still another level lower would be private lenders.  It's a guy with some money to lend.  Typically very reduced requirements and a higher rate of interest and fees.

    Stephanie

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Carl,

    As a long time Loan Officer, the guideline is 6 months. Obviously, the market is fluid but that is the solicitation rule and the buy back benchmark also. 

     Buyback, retracing of income

  • Fleetwood, PA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Carl Mccrory

    Sun Federal Credit Union near me has no seasoning period. I can refi as soon as I am ready. It took over a dozen calls to small local banks to find them. There are small portfolio lenders who can make their own rules but they wont be easy to find!

  • Nathan CrossBusiness Member
    Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 146 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @kenneth Garrett. Thanks, I may not have mentioned or directly asked about the commercial loan side. I will have to reengage the list of banks again. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Stephanie P We have 2 MF properties, both via local portfolio loans with small hometown bank. Had to jump through all the same hoops, DTI / income verification/IRS transcripts...only difference was they actually loaned to us (my husband had a foreclosure in 2014) I guess the rigors of the loan process depends on the bank itself. We plan to refinance both properties soon after we build up our reserves in the business account. We also were asked to open an account with them ..which we happily obliged.

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Darci Minshall

    Do they do refi for Non-owner occupied property?

  • Fleetwood, PA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Phuong Le

    Yes they do. 80%LTV. 10 year balloon amortized over 20 years. They are very investor friendly.

  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    There are some lenders out there that will for 5/1 ARM and 30 years fixed terms for up to 75% LTV.

    1-3 months seasoning will get you 90% of purchase and rehab

    4-11 months will get you back 100% of purchase and rehab

    12 months will get you up to 75% new value 

    As long as the numbers of the property meet their criteria this is a solid option for those looking to just refinance and take what they put in.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Eric Nguyen I’m interested in gaining a private lender connection. I have hard money available at decent rates locally, however private money is needed for projects, as well.

    Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Constance Chambers:

    @Stephanie P We have 2 MF properties, both via local portfolio loans with small hometown bank. Had to jump through all the same hoops, DTI / income verification/IRS transcripts...only difference was they actually loaned to us (my husband had a foreclosure in 2014) I guess the rigors of the loan process depends on the bank itself. We plan to refinance both properties soon after we build up our reserves in the business account. We also were asked to open an account with them ..which we happily obliged.

     The rigors depend on the level of risk to the lender.  Low risk = lots of documentation and subsequently low cost.  Higher risk = minimal documentation and subsequently higher cost (and everything in between).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.