Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 3 votes
So we pay cash for rentals using a HELOC from our primary residence and then obtain financing on the property after the fact. Proceeds from loan pay off HELOC. How do we get competitive 1st mortgage finance rates? I have used a couple of credit unions who lend on investment properties and they will only allow me to get equity loan on paid off properties with loan rates around 6%. If I were to buy property using their financing, instead of paying cash, it'd be a conventional mortgage with rates around 3.25%. We buy with cash so we can act fast and to make it attractive to seller. But then can only get a 6% loan? This doesn't make sense to me. If my offer included traditional financing I could get 3.25%. What do I do? Finance to 6% equity loan to put a loan on the property and then refinance to 3.25% conventional financing? Seems like a pain. Am I using wrong lender? Thanks for responses.
So we pay cash for rentals using a HELOC from our primary residence and then obtain financing on the property after the fact. Proceeds from loan pay off HELOC. How do we get competitive 1st mortgage finance rates? I have used a couple of credit unions who lend on investment properties and they will only allow me to get equity loan on paid off properties with loan rates around 6%. If I were to buy property using their financing, instead of paying cash, it'd be a conventional mortgage with rates around 3.25%. We buy with cash so we can act fast and to make it attractive to seller. But then can only get a 6% loan? This doesn't make sense to me. If my offer included traditional financing I could get 3.25%. What do I do? Finance to 6% equity loan to put a loan on the property and then refinance to 3.25% conventional financing? Seems like a pain. Am I using wrong lender? Thanks for responses.
You're using the wrong lenders. What are the scenarios that you're working with and what states are you buying in?
Yes, you have the wrong lender! There should not be a huge difference in the loan-to-value or the rate for a cash-out refinance. I would spend an afternoon and call every local bank and credit union within an hour of the property and see what options they have available.
So we pay cash for rentals using a HELOC from our primary residence and then obtain financing on the property after the fact. Proceeds from loan pay off HELOC. How do we get competitive 1st mortgage finance rates? I have used a couple of credit unions who lend on investment properties and they will only allow me to get equity loan on paid off properties with loan rates around 6%. If I were to buy property using their financing, instead of paying cash, it'd be a conventional mortgage with rates around 3.25%. We buy with cash so we can act fast and to make it attractive to seller. But then can only get a 6% loan? This doesn't make sense to me. If my offer included traditional financing I could get 3.25%. What do I do? Finance to 6% equity loan to put a loan on the property and then refinance to 3.25% conventional financing? Seems like a pain. Am I using wrong lender? Thanks for responses.
You're using the wrong lenders. What are the scenarios that you're working with and what states are you buying in?
One credit union I use is America First. It’s quoting me 3.125 for 10 year loan on investment property. Has points. I just closed on a conventional 6 months ago on one of their 10 yr loans on another condo that I rent out. I got 4.0%. I’d include financing in the purchase so I could get the 3.125 but seller wants to move quick.
I wasn't aware that you were looking for these shorter-term alternatives. For me, the combination of principle and interest is always important. If you finance for 10 years you get the lower rates but then your gross cost due to higher principle is significantly higher overall. What you chose is really dependent on your strategy. For me I prefer long term fixed financing that lets the tenants pay the loans and I still get good positive cash flow but everybody has to develop their own approach.