Lining up a Refi>Heloc>Cash out to purchase next property

Lining up a Refi>Heloc>Cash out to purchase next property

Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes

We bought our first Triplex rental last year in July 2018 using an FHA loan.

Bought it under market, improved rents, improved the home. I think we are at 80%LTV with an appraisal or very close.

  • I want to switch up to a conventional loan to drop PMI.
  • Then, If i understand it correctly I might be able to get a heloc on up to 90%LTV
  • Last, use that to cash out on the HELOC for a down payment on another owner occupy with 10% down.

Do I have my method correct and is the 90%LTV and 10% down correct from what the banks usually offer?

Side question: My wife's and my total income is slightly low for buying in California.

  • Would it be beneficial to move out and rent an apartment so we can show extra income from our now owner-occupied unit?
  • I own another house in Florida. Can I have a lease that rents to a family member to show more income?
0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    Most banks loan anywhere from 70-80% LTV that I have encountered.

    If you refinance to a different lender or the same lender you will have to pay closing costs which range from $1,000 and up. 

    Most banks like 20-25% as a down payment but you can find some lenders that vary with those numbers. Call around. 

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Neil He thanks for posting here.  You have several questions so I'll reference and answer each one individually if you don't mind:

    • Would it be beneficial to move out and rent an apartment so we can show extra income from our now owner-occupied unit? - This question certainly depends on some factors - do you NEED that rental income to qualify for your next loan?  If you don't need the income, then no need to even try to get the unit leased. But if you do need the income, then you are allowed to get a signed, executed lease for that unit (for 99% of loans) and then the rental income of the unit can be used.  Sometimes that is pretty hard to do while you live there so if it's impossible for you to show your unit to rent WHILE you live there....then move somewhere else temporarily....but I really think that's a lot of cost.  So maybe just try to have a showing/open house over a weekend or something and you and your family can have a "staycation" close by at a hotel.  A lot less expensive to do something like that.

    • I own another house in Florida. Can I have a lease that rents to a family member to show more income?
      - Well, I might ask why aren't you renting this property anyway? Having a lease from a family member is fine...but we don't want to lie about anything.  If this property isn't rented, let's find a way to get you to make money on it.  No need to have a "non-performing asset".  
    • Refinancing out of FHA loan - I do like this plan even if your home is at 82% Loan to Value I think this is certainly worth exploring.  Ask a lender to run numbers on it.

    • HELOC
      - now, this I cannot comment on unfortunately.  In Texas, the maximum is going to be 80% and most will only lend 75% on a 2-4 unit property.  So maybe consult someone familiar with your market to get the right answer here.

    Hope this helps in some way but feel free to ask anything additional if you need. Thanks!

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks for these answers guys. I’m appreciative of the help.

    For clarification, my father lives in the house in Florida, hence renting to a relative.

    My wife got a job that is a bit farther of a drive so we may have reason to rent a separate place until we find a deal.

    Also, just to clarify, if we buy another property and owner occupy, are there programs for lower down payment? ...or is it 20% regardless if we owner occupy on the 2nd property?

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Neil He ok, so if your father is paying you some money for staying in your house please make sure to claim it on your tax returns in order to use it to qualify for a mortgage for a primary home.

    And if you are owner occupying a property than standard "primary" home loans would apply. 5% down with conventional and 3.5% down with FHA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.