Do you have to go with bank that did appraisal for refinance?

Do you have to go with bank that did appraisal for refinance?

Chicago IL · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 11 votes

Hi there,

The bank I'm working with to get a refinance came back with a lower number than I expected. What options do I have?

Can I go get a second opinion elsewhere? Am I obligated to pay the original bank for their appraisal services?

Am I able to negotiate with the bank or do they go with exactly what the appraiser recommended as a matter of process?

Thank you!

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    1) You can appeal it based on data, this has a fairly low success rate but costs nothing to try.

    2) You can find a new lender. If working with a mortgage broker, you don't have to switch loan originators to switch lenders, and if they agree the appraisal is BS, they may even pay for the new appraisal. 

    3) Yes, you still have to pay for the appraisal. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.