Loan options needed for a new investor

Loan options needed for a new investor

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

So I'm in a bit of a pickle, I own my house out right and recently moved an hour away for work. I want to rent it out for cash flow and should have it up and filled by the end of June. But while looking into loan options for a second rental, I've hit a road block. The house is valued at 35k, mainly due to small town economics. But I can't get an answer on using home equity vs a cash out refinance loan to use the equity as a 20% downpayment for a loan. My understanding from one lender's associate, is that I should use a cash refinance loan. But there is no existing loan to refinance, so with the house no longer being my primary residence that goes against me for a home equity loan, and no loan on the house goes against cash out refinance if I'm reading everything right. Plus most lenders want a house value of 50k minimum, from what I've come across thus far. However I only need 27k max to cover my closing costs and 20% down for most of the rental investments I've come across in the city......so what does one do with this dilemma? Sorry if this is confusing at all, the investment group I'm working in conjunction with is perplexed by this issue as well. 

0Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jared Blalack

    The min conforming loan is 50k. Elbow that you need to find a specialized lender for movile homes and such. Best way to find them is Google is my understanding

    As far your “can’t refi since no existing loan...”. Regardless if you have a loan, I think it’s still generally called a “cash out refi.” Either watch you are taking equity out. I believe the “system” figures your are purchasing or ‘not.’ The lending criteria is different whether it’s a purchase or a ‘refi.’ Make any sense? Basically, don’t get caught up on the term

    As for you getting a mortgage, yes at $35k you aren’t. Let’s face it, it’s really an auto loan at this point...

    Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Good luck

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    The whole 50 k limit makes sense to me when someone still has payments to make on a place. Just annoying for those of us that own it completely but can't utilize it when you have all your bases covered as much as one can to make it a safe investment. But I will look into the mobile home lenders, that seems like to great avenue to explore. Thank you for your thoughts! 

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    interestingly in-house loans with local banks don't have a problem with a cash out refinance. Which is just annoying to find out after all this leg work

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.