Where do I prequalify for a FHA loan? (Shouldn't this be straight forward?)

Where do I prequalify for a FHA loan? (Shouldn't this be straight forward?)

Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 0 votes

Where do I prequalify for a FHA loan?

I went to this site http://www.fha.com/prequalify.cfm and clicked "Start Now". Then I answered all the questions. At the end of the process they told me that they would email me when they find someone to help me see if I pre-qualify for and FHA loan. It's been a week and no one has contacted me.

Can't I just go to a bank to see if I qualify? Isn't this suppose to be easy? Where can I do this?

Thanks Biggerpockets!
Jeri

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    In addition to what I wrote above. I have read this. http://www.biggerpockets.com/mortgage/fha-loans/. How can I find an FHA lender?

    I went to this site http://www.hud.gov/ll/code/llslcrit.cfm, but my criteria found nothing.

    I search a 60 mile radius from Richmond, VA and selected Title II, Multi-family servicer originator (I don't know what that means), and multifamily originator only.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Most major banks and mtg co.s do FHA. Try to find an FHA Direct lender, but it's not necessary. You want them to be complete, including your tax returns, not just W-2's, and all related info. You'll want the DU(desk underwriting) report in addition to the PreApproval (not prequalify) letter.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 70 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    @Jeridilts

    Can you tell us why you want an FHA loan? Have you weighed out the pros and cons vs. conventional financing?

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    @Paul Cordero

    I'm currently looking at an older house and was approved for $150,000 conventional, but the seller told me he wouldn't do the deal unless I got FHA 203K. Which seemed a little strange to me....almost like he's warning me there is something wrong with the house that he's not disclosing. (When I say 'he', I mean the bank's attorney....the house is a foreclosure.) Any how I'm working with a mortgage broker from Keller Williams whose awesome. He got me the pre-approval I needed. Thanks everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.