Will a $0 Balance HELOC be considered when applying for Mortgage?

Will a $0 Balance HELOC be considered when applying for Mortgage?

Fishers, IN · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes

I have a second home that is paid-in-full. I have a HELOC for $250,000, with a $0 balance. I am considering applying for a loan for a new purchase (30Year, Primary residence) in the amount of $450-650k. Will the HELOC hurt my DTI in any way, assuming I have a $0 balance before they pull my credit? Do they ever require one to close the line, before the new mortgage approval? Searched, but never found the exact answer for this scenario? Thx! Ryan

1Reply
42 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2019 · 112 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Since it is considered a line of credit instead of an equity loan, a $0 balance will show the same way any credit debt would, at $0. So your DTI should not be impacted by the amount available on the line of credit. If you need a lender in Indiana, I can recommend one via DM. I invest in Indianapolis so I have one I prefer.

  • Fishers, IN · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the quick reply, Eddie! That is good to know. I am looking in FL. Let me know if you have any reliable contacts here. Thx!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.