Payments included in DTI for mortgage loan

Payments included in DTI for mortgage loan

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi! I'm wondering if credit card payments I make monthly to credit cards in my parents name (read I am not an authorized user, so these don't show up on my credit reports) would count towards my DTI formula when I apply for pre-approval then mortgage. Appreciate any and all replies!

0Reply
9 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    6y

    @James MacFarlane There will be question from Underwriter when they will see a payment going out from your bank account but you can explain in letter from to Underwriter. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James MacFarlane:

    Hi! I'm wondering if credit card payments I make monthly to credit cards in my parents name (read I am not an authorized user, so these don't show up on my credit reports) would count towards my DTI formula when I apply for pre-approval then mortgage. Appreciate any and all replies!

    They won't count against your DTI if you're not responsible for them.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @James MacFarlane

    Personally, I wouldn’t think so. I would think they normally are looking on your credit report for what you are “on the hook for.” I don’t have personally experience with this, but I’d be somewhat surprised if they matched up your payments from your bank statement to your credit cards — they’d have to just count transactions. Unless your parents are spending a lot on their card, my personal layman’s opinion it shouldn’t be a big deal. and if they do ask, you have a reasonable explanation

    Good luck

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Harjeet Bhatti, Stephanie P., David M. Thank you all very much for your time and information. Your inputs were very valuable to me!! Take care and be safe!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.