HELOC is affecting Refinance rate

HELOC is affecting Refinance rate

Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes

I want to refinance my primary residence for lower interest rate but I have HELOC on it. Currently it's all paid down. But in order to get the best refi rate I will have to close that heloc… due to subordination. My question is - Is there any way I can keep the line of credit and still get the best rate on first mortgage ?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 258 posts · 35 votes
5y

@Sayli Mulay

I know few people whose rate increased substantially due to a heloc.

I am curious why one would refinance if there is already a heloc available, to reduce interest paid? If reducing interest is the goal wouldn’t it make sense to follow the follow steps?

1) Paydown the principal of existing loan using heloc.

2)Recast the current loan ( instead of refinancing) to lower monthly payments

3) Start using heloc as q checking checking , since the rates are almost zero in a traditional checking account.

This is just one cost effective way of reducing interest costs I can think of and it costs almost nothing

without going through any closing costs.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 258 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Sayli Mulay

    I know few people whose rate increased substantially due to a heloc.

    I am curious why one would refinance if there is already a heloc available, to reduce interest paid? If reducing interest is the goal wouldn’t it make sense to follow the follow steps?

    1) Paydown the principal of existing loan using heloc.

    2)Recast the current loan ( instead of refinancing) to lower monthly payments

    3) Start using heloc as q checking checking , since the rates are almost zero in a traditional checking account.

    This is just one cost effective way of reducing interest costs I can think of and it costs almost nothing

    without going through any closing costs.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Sayli Mulay

    You need to request if the heloc will subordindate its position "back to" a second lien position.  the liens go basically in date order.  Since the hloc lien is older, it will slip into 1st position.  A mortgage by definition is a 1st lien position which give the best interest rate.  So, the service/holder of the hloc lien has to agree to give up that pending 1st position...

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Sayli Mulay I just closed on a first-position refi and paid an extra $400 (or maybe $500) for the subordination paperwork. An annoying fee, but not that much in the grand scheme. If they are adding percentage points, you may want try and negotiate or look at different banks.

    Alternately, close the HELOC and open a new one after closing on the refi. HELOC application fees are usually only $50-10.

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Sayli Mulay

    I have been doing several of these lately. You have to close the Heloc if you would like it to be considered a rate/term refi. It best to close it and reopen another one after. I have options on HELOCS up to 95%LTV and im able to send the docs from the refi to the Heloc lender. Saves time. You can subordinate it as well to keep the current heloc. What state are you in?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @David M. That’s good to know. I will reach out to my heloc lender. hopefully the heloc lender will agree to go on second position. Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Mike McCarthy Does the closing gets delayed due to Subordination process? Because 60 day rate lock would be higher than 30 day lock.

    I didn’t want to close heloc because There is early pay off penalty and to reopen new heloc there will be appraisal cost. So paying 400 for subordination paperwork would make more sense. Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @David Kelly

    I am in California

    I don’t want to close heloc because There is early pay off penalty and to reopen new heloc there is appraisal cost.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Kumar Gaurav I want to refinance first mortgage because it could save me about 700$ per month in my mortgage payment.

  • Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Sayli Mulay Yes, you are able keep your HELOC open when refinancing. If you are going from one lender to another you will have to complete subordination paperwork and likely pay a fee. I recently was in the same scenario as I refinanced our primary residence from our local credit union to Comerica Bank.

  • Bellville, OH · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Will your lender allow a loan modification instead of a refinance? I have a HELOC and did a loan mod this summer with no issues. Received a lower interest rate and the modification fee is a fraction of the cost of closing on a refinance.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Chad Young

    The lender won’t do loan modification.

    I also tried to do loan modification for another property but that lender also said no.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Craig Shutich

    Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Mark Stark thanks. I will send you pm

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Craig Shutich

    how long did it take to close?

    And do you think you would have gotten better rate if you had closed heloc?

  • Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Took 50 days to close. At the time, there was no difference in the rate with or without the HELOC (which was paid down to $0). I wanted to keep the HELOC open because we wanted flexibility as we were looking at another property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Craig Shutich

    Same here. My heloc is paid down to 0 and I want to keep it as a backup for future rental investments.

    I asked about the closing time because I see different rates based on rate lock period. 60 day lock has slightly higher rate than 30 day lock.

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Sayli Mulay

    Hi Sayli

    We are in Sunnyvale, CA and have a heloc. We refinanced our primary loan and rate was higher because of heloc. We had a choice to consolidate geloc and primary but here are some disadvantages and due to which we left it

    1. Heloc processing is now more complicated and it may impact your borrowing limit if you close and borrow. I wanted to have some cash on hand in case our jobs are impacted. My kids are in college and high school so as safety needed the funds and did not want to

    lose that

    2. The interest rate of heloc is 1.5-2 (fluctuates every month automatically) , if i consolidated it then my interest rate would be higher 2.5-2.8 for entire amount so left my heloc as is.

    Hope it help

  • Rental Property Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Poonam Hemrajani thanks for sharing.

    For me 2.8 is awesome rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 23 votes
    5y

    @David Kelly mind sharing which institutions are giving you 95% LTV HELOCs??

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Sydney Sherman

    I would have to research California a little more to find a 95% LTV, but I did connect my last refi there a couple weeks ago with a 90% in California. I will PM you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.