Leveraging Equity to Finance STR/House hack ADU

Leveraging Equity to Finance STR/House hack ADU

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP,

My name is John and my wife and I currently have one long term rental and our primary residence. As we have just moved into our primary, we are ready to take the next steps on acquiring our next rental. We are looking to add an ADU to our primary in the form of a short term rental as it is in a desirable location (A market for STR according to AirDNA) and make this a house hack. Depending on seasonality, we could potentially offset our entire mortgage. (~$2,500)

We currently have ~$100,000+ of equity in our rental and are looking to leverage that to make our next move. Here is my question: How should we best utilize this equity in order to add the ADU/acquire our next property?

Some notes:

-Our rental property has gained a lot of equity since we purchased it (~$100k)

-It also has very strong cashflow (~$700 after expenses)

-Our interest rate is very low (<3%)

-It is in a desirable location and we want to keep it

-We are hesitant to do a cash out refinance since out current rate is so low

We are looking at utilizing a HELOC as we know it is difficult to find traditional financing for an ADU. However, we also recognize that HELOCs are better utilized for short term purposes. What are some considerations we maybe aren't thinking about and how would you go about adding a 1bed/1 bath ADU knowing the information above? We are projecting the cost of adding the ADU at roughly ~$100k, but have not yet gotten bids/priced it out officially.

(Additionally, is there a different strategy we should consider that is different than the ADU/house hack method?)

Thank you so much!

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kit SerrellBusiness Member
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 157 posts · 218 votes
    3y

    Hey John, 

    I was in a virtually identical situation last year. I had roughly 200k in equity in an investment property and I wanted to leverage that to build a 90-110k ADU on my primary. I got bids and everything.

    The investment property has a 2.375% 30 year fixed rate so there is no way I will ever refi out of that. The only option I had was to pay cash or to get a HELOC. However, I couldn't find a lender to give me a HELOC on an investment property because they stopped doing that given the current economic situation. Back in the day... builders apparently would offer in-house financing for ADUs but they also stopped doing this because they are still so busy they don't need to do that to get business.

    After I spoke to several lenders as well as builders, including those I have done multiple deals with, the best way to finance this work right now is to pay cash. 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    @Kit Serrell @John Catlett My wife and I are going through this exact process now. Have y'all looked at RenoFi? Their network of lenders offer fixed-rate home equity loans up to 20 years on the post-build value of the project. Only caveat is I think they measure this against the property the ADU is being built on vs another property such as an investment rental.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.