How to search for creative finance deals

How to search for creative finance deals

Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 0 votes

Hello,

I am interested in getting into a house in a particular neighborhood for long term hold. However, the current interest rates with the downpayment makes it not a good deal. I am also seeing houses reducing their prices and being on the market for a longer time. However, this is still a HCOL with a low inventory and difficult to find properties. I was hoping to get into a house with 70-80% conventional mortgage and do the remaining 20-30% as a 5 to 9 years balloon with interest only payments. This method does not save me on monthly payments but it does save me from taking money out of my other investments for a downpayment on a new property which is very important for me. In 5 years, I can easily pay off the balloon payment so that is a no-issue for me.

I have a few questions and I was hoping the more experienced members can help answer these:

1. Does my approach seem realistic or is there a better way to go about it using subto? I feel like subto would be more difficult to find and/or convince the seller to do and for them to get 70% upfront and 30% balloon would be an easier sell?

2. What interest payments should I offer them in the current market? I would be happy with 4% but not sure if that is realistic.

3. How do I convince the seller's real estate agent to at least show or pitch my offer to the seller?

4. Is it possible for anyone to simply show me their "text", "messages", or "email" on what they write in their informal offer? I want to send this informal offer to the realtor through email. I am afraid I might use the wrong terminology and end up confusing the seller. I want to make it as simple as possible for them to understand.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    0Reply
    35 views

    6 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Benjamin AakerPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      2y
      Generally, you'll use subject to when the seller is in distress in some way. If not, they wait for the buyer who comes with conventional financing.
      Most sellers will want some kind of down payment unless they are really needing to sell. So, look for those properties that have some sort of distress, like high vacancy or need of repairs.
      1. You are asking a lot of a seller to carry the loan up to 9 years. Not to say this seller doesn't exist, but the pool will be small.
      2. Rates depend on first getting them to agree to sub-to. At 30% of the equity being financed, changes in rate will not have as much impact on your bottom line mortgage payment. This might be an area to go high to entice the seller to take your terms. Take a look at the numbers and see what they will support.
      3. The agent is required to show any offer to the seller. Not necessarily a pitch. Put it in writing and make an actual offer.
    • Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 0 votes
      2y

      Thanks.

      In your opinion, wouldn't subto be more difficult to get than seller finance? I can close if the seller is willing to carry 20-30% of the sale price. If only 5 years, that should be enough.

    • Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 0 votes
      2y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Here's an option that uses Subject To that might shed some light.
      https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/1158371-ques...

       You make it sound easier. Maybe it is not possible in a HCOL area in California. Distressed properties as well as Subject To are difficult to get.

    • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      2y

      @Anique Akhtar I just did a seller finance deal here in San Diego so its possible but there not necessarily a ton of those going on unless you are in the right situation and it makes sense for the seller's needs and communicated to the seller very clearly...generally speaking, San Diego is not the type of market will creative financing would be very prevalent as creative deals a lot of times take place in other markets where sellers have a harder time selling their property on the open market.  

      In my current scenario this last seller financing deal was structure to benefit the seller in spreading out their tax obligations.  There are lot's of ways to make a creative deal work but it has to be with the right property/right seller.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.